Send Topic Print
engine braking (Read 275 times)
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Re: engine braking
Reply #15 - 10/19/14 at 20:34:44

And, especially in winter or slippery conditions, I feel I have far better control over my vehicle driving this way.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/19/14 at 20:36:37

I get the pikachewer, Remmy,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #17 - 10/20/14 at 16:53:37

Rembrandt wrote on 10/19/14 at 20:32:57:
Matching engine and transmission for slowing down in normal time, so to speak by downshifting is just normal riding or driving isn't it? I've driven standard cars and trucks most of my life too, from nasty old Chevy three-speeds to easy, synchro-mesh five speed Japanese cars, and I'm always amazed when I talk to people driving standard cars who say they push in the clutch and brake only...always...are you kidding me???? It's rare, but such people are out there and I really don't get it. By downshifting, I get 100 thousand kms, or about 60 thousand miles out of front brakes on my vehicles. I have a 99 Toyota Rav 4 with original back brakes, fourth set of front pads and recently,  new rotors from original installed about 20 000 kms ago. The Rav has 428 000 kms on it. Downshifting to brake is an integral and natural part of any standard vehicle. Find an automatic if this concept doesn't make sense, is my determination and reasoning.

Engine braking is good for automatics, too.  

I was driving in the Laurel Highlands a few months back - one of those 2 mile downgrades - friend was behind me, asked how I didn't runaway since I hardly touched the brakes.  

He was almost amazed at the concept of using a lower gear.  I asked him why he thought they even bothered putting 1-2-3-d on there!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Rembrandt

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reply #18 - 10/20/14 at 17:27:52

runw...you make completely valid points. I too have downshifted my automatic cars in slippery and/or hilly areas....I like how you think.

A hundred years from now, none of this will matter.
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #19 - 10/20/14 at 17:51:31

Engine Breaking, is a 'tool'. It is a very simple, 'tool'. Like a wrench, ya gotta know: "Rity Tighty, Lefety Loosey". Or,  "Clockwise/Counter clockwise".   (Unless you grew up with everything, Digital, not analog.  LOL)

Use the, 'tool', engine breaking, whenever you need it.
(If you don't know how, just ask)

And Yes Virgina, Even a 'Auto' Transmission, (as a previous post says so well), their is a REASON, their are different numbers, on the 'shift' lever, outside of, the,  big,  "D".   It is Not only, for going 'up' hills, or pulling a trailer !

A year ago I bought this little used, '07, HHR. ( I wasn't looking at a HHR, but after I drove it, their is a LOT of room, in that, 'little' car).
(( I was very surprised))

(It is a 5 Speed Manual).   As we were sitting in the car after the test drive, the, 'young', salesman said: "You know this is really a 'rare', car, it is a manual transmission". I said: "No it's not, it's a 'cheep', car. How many people have got in this car, and asked, 'what is that other pedal for', I'll give you xxx".   As I was walking to the car I came in with, he came after me: "Wait, Wait, !!! Let me talk to my manager".  I bought it for what I stated, which was 1,800 less than the, 'sticker', price.

And it all comes down to,  Very Few,  Know, how to drive a, 'stick' any more.

Engine breaking, is a 'tool'. Learn to use it, Understand it, Embrace it, and you will do well.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 10/20/14 at 19:56:19

Manual transmissions were popular in the old muscle cars because you could control the RPMs better. Just choose whatever gear suits you. Nowadays, pretty much any car with a manual is looked down on as being cheap. Auto transmissions are usually a $1000 option. Car makers throw the auto in a vehicle to make a little more profit while unsuspecting buyers don't realize that they're paying for the "upgrade".

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #21 - 10/21/14 at 00:58:27

Alfred P Sloan stated in his book "My Years With General Motors" stated "in the model year 1962 about 74 per cent of all passenger cars sold in the United States were equipped with automatic transmissions". That's one and a half to two generations ago, depending on how you measure a generation. In my country the demand for manuals, except in the smallest cars is non existent, even most sporty stuff is automatic. The manual is for utes/pickups and a lot of those are going automatic.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/21/14 at 11:11:26

Unless youre ready to run down thru the gears quickly, using the gas and ankle, no clutch needed,, or, you Can use the clutch and IF youre riding a HOT machine, you might just be better off, because IF you jam it in a lower gear than youve synched the motor to, you Might just find the rear tire not agreeing with the speed youre moving and high side the thing,,, But, the Savage is mild and I was able to fly up on a turn and start running down thru gears and set up for a corner and be in the gear I needed to start accelerating from the apex. Getting the slack outta the throttle cable was something I did that took some "lag" out of the accelerating. I noticed I was twisting and nothing was happening for a split second,, I didnt like that,, I used the transmission and used it hard. I learned to shift w/o the clutch, from 2nd to 3rd and up, from 5th to 2nd.. The RPM jump between 1st and 2nd is just too much to be consistently smooth between 1st and 2nd. I did it a few times, but I couldnt "Nail it" every time and the lurch that put in the belt and hub rubbers when I didnt, just not worth it..

The spot where youre not accelerating and not decelerating is when the cogs in the tranny arent loaded and a shift can be made, immediately , if youve downshifted, you need to give it a little gas to synch the engine to the tranny, then, let off,, Its a quick, small "goose", Going up in gears, slap the gas off, shift, twist,, PLay between 4th and 5th to get comfortable with it, because thats the least rpm difference and the rear wheel has the advantage in leverage thru the tranny, its just the lightest "work" on the driveline in those gears..

I rode the pants off of it after I ditched the OEM tires at 5,000 miles.
Ive had it laid into a turn so hard my foot was being hurt from the pressure of the peg pinching it against the engine. I sold it at 20,000 miles and it didnt feel like a ragged out, beat up piece of crap. It didnt leak, it didnt use more oil than it should and it ran as hard as it ever did. It shifted and acted like it had been babied, They have a Good transmission, as bikes go. Yea, they can act a little goofy sometimes, but Ive seen other bikes that have a notorious;ly clunky or "Jump outta gear
False neutrals,, all kindsa hassles,, Overall,, these rate pretty high on the transmission and clutch.. You CAN ride it like its a race bike, as far as running at a corner goes, just dont get so goofy as to downshift to a gear at a speed the engine wouldnt want to accelerate to.. Youll either have the rear tire sliding ( which can be a very bad thing at speed,, you get that thing about sideways and pull the clutch inb, the rear tire rolls and gets traction and Whammo,, highside) or, you over rap the motor.. thats a lose lose,,

I missed finishing the thot..

Unless youre ready to run down thru the gears quickly, you cant set up for making the best time thru a corner, because youre not getting in the best gear to accelerate out from the apex, and youre not in the best gear for going in,, The tranny is the TOOL you use for applying the engines torque to the road,, It Does what it Does Best at a relatively narrow RPM range. If you wanna play Ricky Road Racer, you can, these things turn a lot better than the " walk up and look at the frame geometry" would leave a guy believing. I was shocked at how nimble that "Cruiser" steering head geometry could be. This bikes inherent instability in a long sweeper kept me from running hotter thru places that a better bike would have allowed.. Which kept me from getting in over my head.

Find some roads with curves that challenge you, look at your exit speeds, pay attention to what line youre picking, feel of the bike, every time you go thru, pay attention and try yo learn,,
On That NOTE,, You never KNOW if something is spilled in the road, or someone dropped some bricks,, If you cant see THRU,, dont RACE thru,, Ive been known to ride thru a section, look, turn around and play,, and I was rewarded with increases in exit speeds. I was shocked when I discovered I could exit one particular , not a 90, but a sharp bend, almost a 90, but it has a radius that a car is reasonably comfortable doing at 30ish,, I found I could exit faster not dragging a peg,, Still dont really grock that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 00:27:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine braking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.