Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
drive pulley (Read 65 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

drive pulley
09/29/14 at 05:53:39

After reading allllll the posts on drive pulley I could find and fighting with this thing loosening up even after 100 ftlbs if torque I have resorted to the following.... Now my 86 does have some shaft wear. And the original pulley was worn way out.

Harbor freight electric impact driver, rtv, red loctite, new pulley.

RTV on splines
Red loctite on threads
Washer up against the pulley and the nut just threaded onto the shaft

I spun that puppy on with the driver and then just let it run for several seconds...

Its tight now. However if I push on the sides of the pulley I can feel it move ever so slightly. But it isn't rocking forward or backward.... The harbor freight driver claims 230 ftlbs of torque...I don't believe it...but I gave the nut what ever the driver could.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: drive pulley
Reply #1 - 09/29/14 at 06:55:16

If you have to do this again use a "bearing mount" product on the splines to help fill the gaps and prevent the movement that causes the loosening.  Use a good solvent to clean the shaft before applying bearing mount.  Here is a link to a Loctite pdf product guide.

http://www.loctite.ph/php/content_data/LT4680.pdf

Scan down the document and you will find information on keyed shafts and others.  Bearing mount is often used to fill in the gaps between worn shafts and hubs or bearings.  The goal is to stop the hammering movement that leads to more trouble.  Unfortunately it doesn't work on large gaps, Loctite says it is only good for a .010" gap but I've seen it used successfully on larger gaps.  Also, other people make this stuff and may have better bearing mount than loctite.  Off hand I can't think of the names of the different manufacturers.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/29/14 at 07:14:52

Yeah...I agree with engineer.  RTV is a gooey, spongey, stuff with little compressive strength.  The bearing/shaft product would be a much better product for filling gaps in the splines.

The Red thread locker is great....and you might try a new lock washer and bend up 2 sides on the side of the nut...instead of just one.  (When the nut comes loose....is it bending the lock tab or shearing off the small splines on the lock washer?)  

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Strength-Retaining-Compound-Bottle/dp/B000O05BXW

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/29/14 at 07:45:50

What do you think about my method of tightening it down? Too much?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/29/14 at 07:56:38

Jsud04 wrote on 09/29/14 at 07:45:50:

Maybe,... but that's how I tightened mine down, too... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/29/14 at 07:58:07

Jsud04 wrote on 09/29/14 at 07:45:50:

Well....there is no way to know what kind of torque is on it with that method.  I suppose if you didn't break off the stud or strip the threads, it might be OK?  I torque it down to the high end of the allowable range with a torque wrench....but then I am not dealing with a worn shaft yet.

You know what is a bit weird about this???????  Lots of motorcycles have the sprockets loose on the shaft....with only a snap ring or similar keeper to hold the sprocket on the shaft....and they don't wear out.  The Kawasaki KZ750 limited has a very similar pulley to the Savage, and the pulley is held on by a keeper that has splines and fits into a groove, and is then bolted to the outside of the pulley....it acts like a snap ring that can't rotate.  Those shafts must be made of something harder than the Savage is.

Have any folks that converted to chains had problems - the sprocket has much less surface area on the splined shaft?????.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/29/14 at 08:08:20

It's cause we have a kick ass single.
the multi's don't have the problem.

As far as torque goes... who knows.
Try it with a torque wrench at the max, if it don't move the torque is higher.
I wouldn't back it off, damage (if done) is already done and won't hurt it any more to leave it.

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/29/14 at 08:09:11

I just ordered some small tubes of Permatex 20297 Bearing Mount for Worn Parts 300 degrees up to .02 gap. I will see how it works when it gets in. I am hoping its safe to ride until it comes it?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/29/14 at 09:36:12

I did not know such a critter existed,, THATS a Nugget,, Thanks.. and, it Say,, Sears sells it.. next time Im Thataway Ima have a look,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drive pulley

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.