Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter clutch upgrade 86 (Read 59 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter clutch upgrade 86
09/27/14 at 13:25:01

ah yes, much to my surprise I have finished the rebuild and put 120 miles on only to find that I still hear the starter twang on shut down even with the upgrade to a torque limiter... Must be I have a weak starter?

O well, one for others to consider when upgrading....

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Starter clutch upgrade 86
Reply #1 - 09/27/14 at 16:22:39

Twang is good. Hard clunk and spinning sound from starter is not.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/27/14 at 19:10:14

Twang to me means the sound of the starter spinning backwards, much like it does without the mod,  which is one and the same as what I hear now after the mod. My guess is that the staters one way clutch is soooooo weak that it dosent have enough resistance to engage the new torque limiter, of which I have two, and both do the same...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/27/14 at 19:45:58

Well I guess we'll have to make another guess at what that twang is.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/27/14 at 20:41:24

The only thing more frustrating than working on something and nothing changing is working on something and it's WURSER..
At least it's not Wurser..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/28/14 at 05:24:06

I really believe that the starter and the position of the piston play a role in when the limiter kicks in... I hear a twang, eh, 50% of the time, so who's to say it isn't working the other %.

+1 to not being worser...lol... I already had a manual decomp lever, so I will still be using it on shut down...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/28/14 at 09:25:43

Good plan. REALLY good plan. It's a piece of machinery. People tend to have a mindset of "It's Supposed to work like This"and they aren't flexible and willing to adjust to ITS needs. People who are sensitive to and willing to adjust to the foibles and quirks of their equipment are rewarded. They have fewer maintenance issues. And they Know that in the hands of someone else,someone who doesn't really relate,someone who doesn't want to have to pay attention to it at that level,it just won't live as long. I've had the back hoe 8 years. It's in better shape now. And yes,I'm careful with it and attentive to it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 09/28/14 at 13:45:08

When I was in the left side cover of my '02 I think I noticed that one of the starter gears had a spring assembly for backlash and was preloaded. It was a little tricky to preload when the bike was put back together. I would think that if the backlash spring wasn't tight enough you would get the noise you are hearing. My '02 has always given an ocassional twang on shutdown, figured it was just normal for the beast. Maybe someone else that has more experience can chime in on if the gear needs to be preloaded.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/28/14 at 15:23:22

I have two assemblies. One from a vl 1800 and one from a 06 savage, same part, no springs. It's a pressure fit of three clutch plates and three pressure disks, and it takes a lot of force to move em... Best guess is that it will slip only when the backlash reaches a critical level, like at the height of compression, otherwise it'll spin the starter, especially a weak'en.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 09/28/14 at 15:46:17

That must of been it.  haven't been inside the left cover for a few years.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:26:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter clutch upgrade 86

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.