Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike wont start - Carb / Jetting (Read 95 times)
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Bike wont start - Carb / Jetting
09/27/14 at 13:10:20

Hello,

First off big thanks to everyone for their help support and activity on this forum.  I have learned a lot about my bike!

The basics - I have had my bike for only 4 months.
1997 Suzuki savage ls650
Had a tune up when I bought it.  Front tire replaced and oil change.

The problem
Bike wouldn't  start.  The shop says Carb clean and dyno jet kit install is needed because there is a aftermarket exhaust on it.
I have a link to the video of it not starting.  I guess I will post it in a follow up msg. (forum restrictions to Noobs).

My question
Is it easy enough to do the carb clean and jet install on my own?  Financially I cant afford to do everything and wait for 2 months for the parts to come in.

I would have them do the carb clean and all that goes with it (seals, plugs, etc - not jets)  Just to get it running and bring it home and do the other stuff on my own and the jetting.  Jetting would need to be done within 3 months of riding (so they say).

Me
I am capable of tuning and don't mind doing some things on my own.  I have dropped an engine in a car, brake pad install and general tinkering.  I live in a condo so doing maintenance is a bit more difficult.  

Details
Rode my bike back to my GFs house and as we pulled up it died while parking.  I went to start it up (just incase) and I noticed the choke was popped out a bit.  Pushed the choke back in and tried to start it.  No luck.  

Next day after reading forums I went through the petcock tests.  Pulled vac lines, fuel lines, tapped the float, checked the plugs, running jump start.  Nothing would get it running again.  Unfortunately the GF lives in a different city and I needed to catch the ferry to come back for work Monday.  

I called a shop had them pick it up.  Here is what they say is needed.
Carb clean, dyno jet kit (nov arrival), plugs, gaskets and seals  - $575
Rectifier (Oct arrival) & battery (Never had a problem with this so far) - $480
Rear tire and tube - $346
Oil leak - gaskets for sifter, starter, toggle?

The tire has a few months left on it I feel that is a bit of a sales thing

History
The shop I had my bike serviced at originally has not noted any of these issues.  (Concerning)

My bike would stall out riding at 60 - 100kmh
It would take a bit to get it started again.  I took it in for a quick check and chat.  No real answers on why that would happen other then Vape lock or low oil pressure.

I took about 6 inches off the fuel line hoping that would tapper off the vape lock issue.  Keeping it full of gas was the other thing.

Any help on this issue would be great.  I am planning to make a decision Monday.

Thank you!

IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Re: Bike wont start - Carb / Jetting
Reply #1 - 09/27/14 at 13:10:59

Here is the link to the video of it not starting before hitting the shop.  
http://youtu.be/uk2_hMeDO2U

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/27/14 at 13:45:53

Either it's a good shop or someones daughter is going to college.

Quote:
Rear tire and tube - $346
really... what? $250 for a tire? $50 for a tube and $46 to install... was Vaseline extra?

Borrow a truck and get it to your regular mechanic.

I'd say your problem's the gas filter.

You didn't say what muf you had, but jetting isn't a mystery, check out the tech section index.

I've seen the choke pop out on shut off... so I'd say it's normal/not harmful.

check your plug, if not wet put it back in and try some starting fluid.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/27/14 at 14:04:36

Those repair estimates are insanely high... don't go to them...

Don't get a Dynojet... it's just one more thing to deal with and break...

Wrong jetting for the pipe you have,.. might make it pop a lot, or run stumbly,... but it shouldn't make it not start at all...
SO you don't need to rejet, or add a Dynojet, to fix this..
Just get the carb clean...
You need to get it running again, before you try to correct any jetting problem...

Let us know what you find...

Where are you located?... (good to include that in your member info)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #4 - 09/27/14 at 17:08:19

verslagen1 wrote on 09/27/14 at 13:45:53:
I'd say your problem's the gas filter.

You didn't say what muf you had, but jetting isn't a mystery, check out the tech section index.

check your plug, if not wet put it back in and try some starting fluid.

Thanks for the quick feedback!  

When you say the gas filter are you referring to the inline one from the petcock?  I have removed cleaned and checked that one.

I do not know the type of pipe that is on the bike.  I thought it was the stock one so I was surprised when they said that its not stock.

Thanks Serowbot!   - I was thinking the same thing - Carb clean get it running... take it home and sort the rest out from there.  

Much more reading ahead for me.  

If any one has differing thoughts on course of action or the real problem feel free to let me know.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/27/14 at 17:27:37

Tannermac wrote on 09/27/14 at 17:08:19:
When you say the gas filter are you referring to the inline one from the petcock?  I have removed cleaned and checked that one.

Several on here had put on new filters and had issues with starting.

While it may not be your problem, it still may.  

Better to eliminate a possibility while you're still trying to get it to start.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/27/14 at 18:05:49

Step one,get that bike away from everyone who wants money and we will walk you through it. Don't buy another thing without asking this bunch if you are getting screwed. Someone has already been having a good time with you at your expense. I don't know what kinda tire you got,but,dude,if it doesn't make 20,000miles it is a ripoff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #7 - 10/27/14 at 15:36:48

Well everyone thanks for your help and comments.

Its been a long haul.  Ill update you on what happened and start a new thread as I am sure its required at this point.

I have been without my bike for over a month.  
I gave instructions to the shop to just clean the carb and get it running.  Do not replace the jets, do not replace the battery, rectifier, tire, or any of the other things they said needs to be replaced.

This was a week after them inspecting it and giving me a to do list.

1 week later I am told on a Monday the bike will be ready for pick up after 10 am sat.  

I take the arduous journey of arranging rides to and from the ferry.  To the bike shop and so on.

I show up Saturday as specified... and they have no clue about my bike, what needed to be done, where the paper work was, if the parts were ordered...

I am given the "sorry about this".. we will make it up to you bla bla bla.
They will ride my bike over to me the following weekend.

I do not hear from them until the Thursday before the "delivery"  The parts have not arrived and they do not know what is going on.  More apologies and promises of discounts and back rubs.

2 weeks later the bike is ready for pick up and they have finally started contacting me.  Rather then no word from them and requiring my prompting for communication.

I again go through taking days off and arranging rides.  I show up the bike is "working".  They start it up.  I am way to excited to ride so I am note venting my grievances like I wanted to.   They let it sit... I rev the throttle and it dies.  I couldn't get it started again.  

Long story short they tweaked it and got it running.  Went for a ride and it worked great. (they upped the idle rate)  I went for a test ride came back and said ok ill take it.

I ended up paying $524 for a carb to be cleaned and seals.  

My fault for accepting the managers word that the parts were discounted and such.  When I reviewed the bill at home I noticed the only thing discounted was the pick up fee.  I ran through all the issues of it not being ready and me coming over and it not being ready.  The best he could offer was a credit for oil change service that runs for $200.  I can own some of these issues/problems for being naive, excited about riding, too nice of a guy... but I got raped on this service.  Very disheartened about it all.

Dont worry it gets better.  I take the bike for a ride directly after and it dies mid ride as I am rolling into East Hastings the most drug infested part of Vancouver.  I thought it was the battery, or the rectifier as the shop had mentioned it to me...but it was only a fuse.  

Now that I have the bike back home after loading it in a truck and driving it home (extra$$).  I have had time to charge the battery and figure out what is going on.  The fuse seems to be blowing and I cant find a short.  I am going to start a new thread for this.

I wanted to share as you all seemed to show great support in the issue of the carbs.  I will be revisiting that and the jets once I get this thing back up and running.  They have also added that valve adjustment is to be done.  Feel like I bought a lemon... Ill take it as a learning experience.  
Thank you for your help.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/27/14 at 15:45:08

$200 oil change?... that must be really really good oil!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #9 - 10/27/14 at 16:57:55

I know right.  It seems that anything to do with bikes out this way is $$.  My buddy had a tire leak they charged him $180 to patch it.  These prices are the general of the shops out this way.  

I might start a oil change company for bikes.  My truck costs 90 oil filter and all the goodies.  How the hell are we spending anything more then that for a bike?  

Nothing but lots of head shaking!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #10 - 10/27/14 at 17:15:15

Man all that sucks.

They're raping you bad on all their prices.  Looks like they are probably recommending everything that should be or should have been done for the mileage.  Their prices are terrible though.  You're buying 1.9L of oil and a filter that sells for US $7 or so. Takes them a few minutes to do.

Like JOG said...get it away from everybody wanting to get money out of you and everybody out here can talk you through what you need to do and get you on the road at pretty low cost.  WAY WAY lower than what they are quoting.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/27/14 at 20:16:19

It WAS running,, but now it's not,and those geniuses wanna blame the exhaust,,, we are supposed to believe that since it was put on,it wouldn't run.. Really,how stupid do they think people are?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tannermac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria BC Canada
Reply #12 - 11/04/14 at 17:22:44

I am betting I will be doing some carb work over the winter.

The bike is back up and running but I found one interesting thing while trying to solve my electrical issues.

I started my bike and the throttle was wide open and non responsive.  

I looked at the carb and realized they reassembled my carb improperly.  The spring covered fuel shutoff valve vacuum hose was run underneath the carb.  This put it in the path of the throttle wheel causing it to be fully open.

I was very pissed, if I was riding and this happened it could possibly cause and accident.  All I would have to do is disengage the clutch and be ok.  Still the oversight in the "repair" of my bike has only encouraged me to handle the repairs from here on out.  

I expect to see much more of you guys!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike wont start - Carb / Jetting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.