Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cafe Racer Project
Reply #60 - 12/04/14 at 13:50:24

I think you meant the bars are 7/8"....not 3/8".  And I believe you can get Clubmens in 7/8".  If you get painted bars you can weld on 1" pipe on the ends......if you plan on using the stock 1" controls.  Or you could just shim your 1" controls.

And....you maybe be able to machine out he 7/8" to 1"....the controlling factor would be the space between the bolts.  Those bar mounts on the triple tree are massive however....and I think they would be better removed.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #61 - 12/04/14 at 14:54:12

paulmarshall wrote on 12/04/14 at 13:43:20:
The only issue I have is that the KZ1000 Police Vintage Triples only support a 3/8 handle bars. I can mill the risers off and use clipons, But can anyone tell me could I drill out the handle bar clamps to support a 1" bar? I could then run Clubmans.

Take the top clamp off, put the bolts back and measure between them.
If it's over 1" then yes, you can.

WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #62 - 12/04/14 at 20:09:38

I just need to confirm before others out there decide to do the same Triple Tree swap, The bottom bearing is slightly out.
Top bearing of the KZ1000 is the same as the Savage at 25 47 15.
The bottom bearing for the Kz1000 is 28 52 16 and the Savage is 30 55 17.
I am going to mig weld some metal around the bottom of the stem and then lathe it down to 30.
Does anyone know if I could cut corners by using the 30 55 17 bearing over the 28 stem.
I know its naughty but once its all pulled together and tightened down it might work?
I will order the bearings and slide it down the 28 stem and see how much movement there is.
But to be honest I will prob go with my first and safer option.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #63 - 12/05/14 at 00:11:21

Hi Paul. Ignore this if it's teaching you how to suck eggs: Just a few ideas about fibreglassing the seat.
The chopped mat you're using is most likely designed to be used with polyester resin. The mat comes impregnated with a binder that dissolves in polyester resin. Epoxy doesn't dissolve the binder so the cloth stays stiff and is hard to wet out.
If you can lay your hands on some 6 oz fibreglass twill weave, try it. It drapes around curves brilliantly. It would probably be good for your seat. Loose weave would work well, too.
Dave mentioned vacuum bagging: You can make a vac pump from a coffee tin and aquarium pump for very little $$ and an outdoor bin liner as the bag. I used the fish pump for a while before I converted a nebuliser. I'll PM you a good link if you're interested.
If you can't pop that piece off your mould, you can try splitting it down the centre, pop it off in 2 halves then join them back together afterwards. I'd have carved the plug from white foam, glassed it and melted the foam out with acetone or petrol, but that's just me.
Anyway, good luck with the build.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #64 - 12/05/14 at 03:23:03

Gizzo....I like the aquarium pump tip!  I have one that I use when I am drying out fuel tanks, and now I can also use it as a vacuum pump - Brilliant! Wink

I also didn't know that about the fiberglass matt....good to know.  My fiberglass experience is limited to using the little kits you get at the auto stores where everything is in the box.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #65 - 12/05/14 at 11:09:33

gizzo wrote on 12/05/14 at 00:11:21:
Hi Paul. Ignore this if it's teaching you how to suck eggs: Just a few ideas about fibreglassing the seat.
The chopped mat you're using is most likely designed to be used with polyester resin. The mat comes impregnated with a binder that dissolves in polyester resin. Epoxy doesn't dissolve the binder so the cloth stays stiff and is hard to wet out.
If you can lay your hands on some 6 oz fibreglass twill weave, try it. It drapes around curves brilliantly. It would probably be good for your seat. Loose weave would work well, too.
Dave mentioned vacuum bagging: You can make a vac pump from a coffee tin and aquarium pump for very little $$ and an outdoor bin liner as the bag. I used the fish pump for a while before I converted a nebuliser. I'll PM you a good link if you're interested.
If you can't pop that piece off your mould, you can try splitting it down the centre, pop it off in 2 halves then join them back together afterwards. I'd have carved the plug from white foam, glassed it and melted the foam out with acetone or petrol, but that's just me.
Anyway, good luck with the build.

Thanks gizzo, what you say about the mat makes perfect sense. I did buy that mat for a earlier project with polyester resin, but did not know it came with a binder that breaks down with only polyester resin. Any way its hardened nicely and has made a good strong base. I have got some Woven Roving which forms to corners really well, and will lay 3 or 4 layers of that to strengthen it.
Funny you should mention it I way only yesterday thinking this is going to be fun trying to get this out of its mold. My thoughts was to cut a hole in the bottom where the hump is and pull the guts out that way. Its only wood and foam.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #66 - 01/02/15 at 22:47:47

Removed the mold from the seat hump today. Took a little bit of doing but  with some clever use of a skill saw and some Acetone to dissolve the foam mission accomplished. I will leave the ply in the seat section drill holes for mounting bolts and glass over it.

Still need to clean it up.

IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #67 - 01/04/15 at 17:32:36

Sssssmokin!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #68 - 01/09/15 at 20:09:23

Cleaned up the seat today.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #69 - 01/09/15 at 20:11:16

7 inch metal case headlight arrived from England today.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #70 - 01/20/15 at 10:46:34

Slowly gathering more parts.  Wink
Brought this Starter Idler Gear off EBay for $45 USD.
Seller claims it is new .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #71 - 01/27/15 at 04:22:03

Any update on your powder coating adventure?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #72 - 01/27/15 at 10:38:19

Dave wrote on 01/27/15 at 04:22:03:
Any update on your powder coating adventure?

Hi Dave not yet waiting on powder to arrive from Eastwood. Contacted the last week and they said it will arrive here on the 29 Jan.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #73 - 01/28/15 at 22:40:05

Because in NZ our volts are 240 so I had to buy this reducer to use the powder coater. It arrived today. All Im waiting on is the powder.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #74 - 02/08/15 at 19:21:14

My first attempt at powder coating today. I used a powder called "Silver Vein", it looks like hammered steel. I'm going to do the hubs and rims in Silver Vein. Because hubs and rims get dirty easily this colour/color will hid a lot of that, and I hate it when I get done polishing wheels for them to get dirty.
I coated the front break rotor for practice.
Before I started

After a media blast

After powder coat

After applying clear gloss powder

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 22:12:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cafe Racer Project