Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Battery - Yuasa YTZ7S - Best place to buy (Read 146 times)
BadaBing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mini Battery - Yuasa YTZ7S - Best place to buy
09/26/14 at 09:20:26

I plan on doing the mini-battery install like Boule’tard did.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714

Looking for the best place to purchase, any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has experience with relocating the battery, don't be afraid to chime in.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Mini Battery - Yuasa YTZ7S - Best place to buy
Reply #1 - 09/26/14 at 09:56:11

You need to consider that this battery is half the amp/hours of the original 12 amp/hr battery.....and it is a lead/acid type battery (although a sealed one).

The Savage is very sensitive to voltage drops, and if you run the battery down very much, the bike will stop making spark before you lose the ability to run the starter.  Also there is not a lot of extra charging rate in the bikes electrical system - so if you go on a ride and make several stops with short rides in between - you can run your battery down - and a half size battery will most likely run down twice as fast as the original sized battery.

You are most likely to get a lot better results if you use a Li-Ion battery instead of the one you listed.  The Li-Ion batteries hold  their voltage up for almost all of the amp/hr rating - while a lead acid battery starts to drop voltage pretty quickly when it starts to become discharged.  A lot of us have successfully used 6 amp/hr Li-Ion batteries for our bikes.

The Earth-X battery is the one I chose, as it has internal circuity that keeps the cells balanced - most other Li-Ion batteries don't have this and require you to get "their" charger and maintainer to do the cell balancing periodically.  The Earth-X battery does not require balancing, and they don't recommend the use of a battery "maintainer" or trickle charger.  The only downside (beyond cost) of the Li-Ion is that they are horribly sensitive to being discharged.....if you leave the key on and run it down....it will most likely be ruined.

The $ 169 Earth-X EX12A is a 12 amp (equivalent) battery...meaning that is performs the same as a 12 amp/hour lead acid battery, and it is still the smallest size housing available.  This is the battery I used in my Cafe' conversion, and I have been using it for about 2 years without any problems.  I have a Wiseco piston with higher compression and it puts more load on the starter and battery  than the stock piston.
http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx12a/

The $129 Earth-X EX6A is a 6 Amp/hr (equivalent) battery.....so the power matches that of a 6 Amp/hr. lead-acid battery like the one you posted about.  The housing size is the same as the EX12A - but it has half the energy.  The little bit of savings is not justified in my mind for buying half the power.
http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx6a/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BadaBing
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/26/14 at 12:30:57

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of these issues. With that in mind, I will steer clear of the mini-battery.

The LI-Ion battery is well above what I'd like to spend.

Do you know of a "happy medium" battery that would provide an adequate charging rate, while still being able to find in the hidden location?

Thanks again.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 09/26/14 at 19:26:37

While the price isn't much better than the EX12A, here is a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery with 210 CCA and 14AH eq for $144:

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/LFX14L2-BS12.html

As you can see, this battery is smaller than the YTZ7S (easier to install) and it will provide more than enough power to your bike.  LiFePO4 batteries are not the same as Li-ion in that they are much more tolerant of different charging styles.  While there are specialized chargers meant to maximize the life of the battery, your plane-jane Battery Tender jr. can still get the job done.  The nature of the LiFePO4 battery is such that you don't need to maintain it on a charger all the time.  It will hold a charge much longer than your old lead acid battery.

Unless you stay with a lead acid battery or even the cheaper AGM mini batteries, you will likely pay $120-$160.  Take it from me: the YTZ7S is NOT going to be very forgiving if you leave the bike on.  It has enough OOMPH to start the bike, but if you leave the lights on for more than a minute you'll have to familiarize yourself with the push start.

My next battery will likely be an EarthX or a Shorai.  Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
PanchoTaffy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/02/19 at 08:30:35

Just looking at options for a small battery, seeing as the last post on here was over 5 years ago I was wondering if anything else had become available in that time.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 09/02/19 at 08:43:23

Last time I read the reviews ,the Shorai batteries were among the highest rated lithium ion ! $$$  But its a great battery.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
PanchoTaffy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/03/19 at 01:19:58

Thanks Ruttly. The Shorai  LFX21A6-BS12 is in brexit era british pounds the equivalent of $290 over here,almost a third of what I paid for the bike. Looks like I need to do some research.

IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #7 - 09/03/19 at 02:18:02

I just cant help but throw this little champ in the mix.

For the price it almost disposable. Me and my brother have been using them for a few years now with no problems. Keep it on the tender and it never has misfired.Sometimes goes on sale for $18 bucks each. Sounds like a joke, but I have been really shocked by how good it does.

Disclaimer: I dont mind having to push start my bike. That being said I havent had too on this battery, but 2 lithium battery left me hanging at $180 bucks a pop.

Works surprisingly good for the price and frees up funds for better looking or performing parts.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SigmasTek-ST5L-BS-Battery-Replacement/684786640

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/03/19 at 03:43:49

PanchoTaffy wrote on 09/03/19 at 01:19:58:
Thanks Ruttly. The Shorai  LFX21A6-BS12 is in brexit era british pounds the equivalent of $290 over here,almost a third of what I paid for the bike. Looks like I need to do some research.

Lithium Ion batteries are expensive......lead acid batteries are far cheaper.

You really only need to consider the Lithium Ion if you are looking to reduce weight and/or reduce size...there really is no performance advantage and a lead acid battery can start your bike just fine, and do it affordably.  Lithum Ion batteries don't like the cold, they should not be placed on a battery tender, and if you let it get discharged even just once it can be ruined.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/03/19 at 05:54:28

This battery:

Screenshot_2019-06-06-23-11-24.png
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/03/19 at 05:54:56

In this box:

Screenshot_2019-06-06-23-11-48.png
  IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/03/19 at 05:56:03

Starts and runs this bike just great:

Screenshot_2019-05-26-17-37-16_003.png
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/03/19 at 06:38:48

I've been using an Antigravity AG-801 the past 3 years (15k+ miles).  I've done nothing with it. It stays in my bike all winter, never charged it, it's small(see pictures), it's light (1.5lbs), and it cranks like a mother (240ca).  The only thing is it doesn't fit in the stock battery box.  They make drop-in replacements that are still lightweight but in standard sizes if that's what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-AG-801-Powersports-Battery/dp/B0...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 12:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mini Battery - Yuasa YTZ7S - Best place to buy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.