New Ride (Read 362 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
New Ride
09/24/14 at 19:39:41

Started out on a 2007 S40 in 2012. Great bike but too small for 2 up riding. Migrated to a 2007 C50 in 2013. The C50 was fine for 2 Up riding around town and day trips but was lacking a lot for a true long distance tour bike. First considered a ST1300 and after looking at it, decided it was too much bike for me and visions of wrapping the thing around a light pole kept popping into my head. Found this at another dealer and the test ride was spectacular. Thought about it for five days and worked the deal over the phone today and scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. Hello Big Red.

1992 Honda GL1500, 47,000 miles.

« Last Edit: 10/15/14 at 07:29:31 by Blinky-FSO »  

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: New Ride
Reply #1 - 09/24/14 at 20:48:46

Please don't drop it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 09/24/14 at 21:06:40

The epitome of relaxed highway cruising.  How many rpms will that run at 80?  Just over 2k?

Enjoy!   Wink

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/25/14 at 05:25:26

The one good thing about these...You know some squid didn't own it and beat the crap out of it.Probably ridden very easy and well maintained.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/25/14 at 05:43:20

ST1300 too much bike.....GL1500 not? Huh

I guess maybe a lower seat height and lower center of gravity?  I know my ST1100 seems really tippy and cumbersome when you are sitting still or need to push it in/out of the garage.

My wife sure would like a seat like that one instead of what the ST1100 has.....she wants arm rests so that when she dozes off.....she won't fall off!

Cool bike.....we need to meet and go for a ride sometime soon, as winter is coming.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #5 - 09/25/14 at 10:35:46

Dave wrote on 09/25/14 at 05:43:20:
Cool bike.....we need to meet and go for a ride sometime soon, as winter is coming.

Count me in and we can call it the KY-OH FSO gathering. Cool

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #6 - 09/25/14 at 16:43:39

Dave,
The GL1500 feels very heavy but not too tippy, at least not yet. The flat six is low and the 6 gallon tank is under the seat. The power curve compared to the ST1300 also feels more manageable. However, when I rode it home from the dealer this afternoon mainly on the Interstate, it was no problem to look down as see an indicated 90mph, it is that smooth.

I am all for meeting up for a ride and a cup of coffee with as many folks as we can pull together. We are taking the bike camping this weekend at Cumberland Falls State park and I have committed to playing in a charity golf tourney Saturday October 4th but after that my weekends look free.

Let me know what works.
Dennis

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 09/27/14 at 13:21:35

Very nice, Gratz Blinky!!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
brownie17

Riding the wave.

Indiana
Reply #8 - 09/30/14 at 19:03:49

Nice... Does it have a bathroom?

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #9 - 10/13/14 at 05:42:37

Well, I have added 800 miles to the clock since getting Big Red and took a very nice three hour ride yesterday afternoon. Time for the second impressions.

1. The bike is not nearly as heavy as it was the day I got it. It balances very nicely at stop lights, even 2 up. Reverse gear has come in handy. Wouldn't it be cool to install a backup beeper like a garbage truck?

2. You can toss the bike and lean it over farther than I was comfortable with at slow speeds. Very, very stable.

3. I think people see the bike better than the previous two bikes. Larger, big chrome and red fairing, and I sit up higher. better lights.

4. Smooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.  The bike is safer now. I had problems with the aftermarket floorboards that had been added to the bike at some point. They hindered access to the side stand, produced an unnatural foot position, hindered access to the toe shifter, and made it difficult to modulate the brake since I had to lift my whole foot off the floorboard to get my toe on the brake. I replaced them a few days ago with a set of Kury Iso pegs. The left floorboard was held on with a carriage bolt and acorn nut, the right with a cut off 8mm bolt held in with silicone sealer. I replaced both with OEM pins, washers and cotter pins. When I strip the bike down this winter, I will be on the lookout for more silicone fasteners.

6. Just an observation about having my feet under me and not forward, I like it. Who knew.

6. I have it going in for a safety check later this week. The local dealer says they will not work on a bike older than 15 years and referred me to Mike Wells Racing. Turns out that he is the guy that sold me my S40! He does race prep for vintage racing motorcycles, takes in service work on street bikes and says has a guy that works on Wings. Works for me.

7. I took a look at the air cleaner and found where a previous owner had installed a K&N filter. I don't know why. The bike is a station wagon with six cylinders and enough git up and go to get you where you want to go quicker than you may want to get there. Plus the thing is dry. I have a OEM paper filter and the gaskets on the way. Beats me.

8. That's about it other than to say I am well pleased so far and looking forward to some road trips in the spring.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
GBG

'06 S40. Stock plus
saddlebags.

Cincinnati, OH
Reply #10 - 10/13/14 at 10:42:01

Can we expect a new road trip video any time soon?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 10/13/14 at 10:59:44

Blinky:

We need to hook up for a ride before the winter hits us hard.  I went for a 4 hour ride on Saturday and I had a great time.  I even took the Ferry across the Ohio River to Augusta, KY.....so I could get home without having to travel all the way back to Cincinnati to find a bridge!

Dave

Ferry.jpg

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #12 - 10/13/14 at 11:46:29

Dave wrote on 10/13/14 at 10:59:44:
Blinky:

We need to hook up for a ride before the winter hits us hard.  I went for a 4 hour ride on Saturday and I had a great time.  I even took the Ferry across the Ohio River to Augusta, KY.....so I could get home without having to travel all the way back to Cincinnati to find a bridge!

Dave

Dave,
Both this Saturday and Sunday are advertised to be brilliant sunshine with a high in the mid to upper 60's. Pick a day, I am free both days as of now. Why don't I ride up to Maysville and we can go from there. No peg scrapping, knee dragging roads if you please. Old guy with a GoldWing if you get the picture.

Dennis

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 10/13/14 at 12:02:17

If we met in Maysville, we could ride north on Route 8 along the river, then turn west on one of the side roads that leads up to Route 10....it is a great road that goes along a ridge through Campbell County and has lot of nice gentle curves....with only a couple of tight ones to catch your attention.  Then if you want to make the trip longer we can take 536 through Kenton and Boone Counties to Rabbit Hash and eat some BBQ and look at all the Harley riders hanging out!  From there you can get on the interstate if you want to take the superslab home....or does Dixie Highway/US 25 go near where you live?

I will check with the wife tonight and see which day works best for her.  On Saturday anytime work....on Sunday I am out of church by 9:30 and could be in Maysville by 11.

Knee and peg dragging......Not me! Wink

Dave

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #14 - 10/13/14 at 13:29:36

Dave, Works for me. We can always meet a little farther West if that works. I just threw out Maysville as an option. We need to see if we can get sjaskow and ZAR to join us, and anyone else in the area that can make it, jump in.

Dennis

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 18:31:48