Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Headlight mods. (Read 1601 times)
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Re: Headlight mods.
Reply #30 - 11/09/14 at 20:21:56

Hey, old_rider, im not so sure you got that on there right. That adapter ring should replace the one that comes attached on the shaft of the led. Should be a silver screw that you would undo and then replace with the adapter ring that fits your housing. I didn't get a pic of that on my install, sorry. I worry that, while it does seem pretty bright, the LED's themselves are not in the focus point of your reflector. I put the spring in front of the adapter before inserting it into the reflector housing. Give your light a check at distance on a wall., if the beam  seems to have a hollow spot on it in the middle then you'll need to change that out to be the right ring. If there isn't, well, huh, guess it works pretty well that way too. I work as a stage lighting tech, optics and focus points are things i deal with daily so that's why i suggest checking this, if the filament/LED isn't in that sweet spot, its asking for trouble.

Thanks for the shout out btw Smiley

Luke

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 11/09/14 at 20:28:52

Yep, I took off the ring that was installed and replaced it with the correct one.  
And secured it with the screw.  No spring.  
Then locked it in place with the clip just like the stock bulb.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #32 - 11/09/14 at 21:18:23

Gotcha...

Was wondering why it fit so weird.... i'll redo the video....

The hard part is done already Smiley

Spring kicked my butt.... its too tall, bent it a bit.... might try something different.

How in the world did you make it fit?

Video sucked.... might just try an explanation one tomorrow....to tired now. Tongue

« Last Edit: 11/09/14 at 23:27:26 by old_rider »  

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 11/10/14 at 05:30:49

I am curious to see what hill happen with the cooling fan and heat in the enclosed headlight on the Savage.  The heat might build up inside the headlight and either cook the plastic....or overheat the LED unit.

Some headlight buckets for motorcycles have huge holes in them for the wiring to run in and out of the bucket....the Japanese bikes used to use the headlight bucket for "wiring central" and all the handlebar controls ran the wires into the headlight bucket to make the connections with the wiring harness.  Those buckets would not have any trouble with airflow - in fact the  headlight had a 1/8" gap all around the edge between the bucket and the headlight and air could flow in the gap in the front and out the back of the bucket....there wasn't anything about them what was waterproof!  That is one reason the headlights all had big rubber boots on the back of the headlight when they use the H-4 bulbs.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
GridMonkey

Albany NY
Reply #34 - 11/10/14 at 20:46:31

Hey,

I personally took the short arm and bent it out of the way, someone in this thread said they managed to get both, i think it was Versy, my guess is he just spread them a bit to the sides and moved them back in.

As to the overheating, i don't know, i'm in the northeast and it had not occurred to me, and of course now i'm riding and its 40-60 and that's sure cold enough to keep the led heat sink cool. IF i remember ill check it out come spring/summer time.

Luke

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 11/10/14 at 21:09:23

Dave wrote on 11/10/14 at 05:30:49:
I am curious to see what hill happen with the cooling fan and heat in the enclosed headlight on the Savage.  The heat might build up inside the headlight and either cook the plastic....or overheat the LED unit.

The front of the bulb is open, that's why they then to buzz.

Heat is less than a 90w bulb anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 11/10/14 at 21:11:39

GridMonkey wrote on 11/10/14 at 20:46:31:
I personally took the short arm and bent it out of the way, someone in this thread said they managed to get both, i think it was Versy, my guess is he just spread them a bit to the sides and moved them back in.

Yep, I used long nosed pliers and sprung the clip around the base and in.

WWW   IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #37 - 11/11/14 at 20:56:05

verslagen1 wrote on 11/10/14 at 21:11:39:
GridMonkey wrote on 11/10/14 at 20:46:31:

Yep, I used long nosed pliers and sprung the clip around the base and in.

Thanks... I tried, but after a long day my hands were a bit weak.... i'll try again tomorrow. Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #38 - 11/12/14 at 16:03:42

Decided to just let it be.... the spring is under the LED and holding it, it cannot pop loose.
Although the light is at an angle, it is still putting out a round beam and I adjusted the angle of the light to compensate.
The video is not great and I ramble, but I hope you get the idea.... (maybe I should just stick to pictures...LOL)
At the end is a good comparison of OEM vrs. LED

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #39 - 11/12/14 at 18:42:52

Went outside to adjust the headlight.... so this is what it looks like, the building i'm aiming at is about 200 feet away.

IP Logged
-CIKMO-
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jacksonville , FL
Reply #40 - 11/12/14 at 21:29:07

Hey guys,
I hava marauder hl on my bike. Its a 1996 and about 7 inches across bolts right up!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #41 - 11/15/14 at 06:03:15

I'm very interested in a direct swap, no modifications needed 7" headlight. EXACTLY which Marauder headlight did you use? Was it as simple as bolting on the new one without having to make anything fit?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 11/24/14 at 03:55:58

old_rider:

Has anyone been on the oncoming side of your LED headlight at night, and can comment on the amount of light coming at them?  I wonder if the less than stellar reflector in this light is good at controlling where the light goes.  Normal bulbs/reflectors have a horizontal cut off for the low beam that keeps the light from shining up into folks eyes.

Friday night I went past the high school and they were getting ready for a game, and a young fella's 4WD truck had LED headlights and a big wide LED light bar on the grill.  The thing was absolutely blinding, and totally RUDE.  I betcha' it won't be long before he is either given a ticket....or gets his lights punched out by someone tougher than him.

The DOT beams used in the US and shown in yellow and listed as North American Beam, the E Code beams are the European lights and are shown in white.  The E-code beams are better at lighting up the road shoulder at night, and perhaps a bit more visible in the daytime for folks who might pull out in front of you from the right side of the road.

Headlight.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
carcaveman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson, AZ
Reply #43 - 01/04/15 at 18:18:42

I got the same LED light that Oldrider received and installed it. My biggest issue was getting the retaining wire spring to fit and be usable. I used the best fitting retaining spacer to mimic the stock bulb filament position in the reflector. I had some socket crimp terminals that fit the connectors that came with the bulb (Yep, I wired it up backwards at first with the whole 'pass' and 'drive' wires). I am happy with the results, but need to test it out a bit more.. Thanks for this write up, it made things easy for me and will help others, I am sure.

David.

2001 Suzuki Savage

Yamaha Petcock - Done
Chain Tensioner - 8.5 mm (New Chain)
Oil Plug - Done
Handlebars - In progress

PS 24:1
(It's all His.)
  IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 01/23/15 at 14:25:08

Kris01 wrote on 09/26/14 at 18:22:16:
Which Marauder are we talking about?  ...or does it matter?  What size is the headlight?

That's my picture  Smiley  I used an older (previous generation) Suzuki 800 Marauder headlight.  It was easy and it is sized right for the bike.  I found out that it would work after reading some old forum posts.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:36:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight mods.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.