ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: cocked the gun
Reply #15 - 09/26/14 at 10:02:30

stewmills wrote on 09/26/14 at 09:43:39:
Nice bike. Enjoy!

If you are like me and want to attack every little speck of rust, I found that this stuff works well, and it seems to be pretty safe on chrome and doesn't eat up your paint if you accidentally drip some on it...just wipe it off.  Drip some on the rust and let it 'fizzle' and then rinse with water afterwards...or you can take off nuts and bolts and soak them in it.  

http://krudkutter.com/store/index.php/rust-remedies/the-must-for-rust-rust-re...

You can get it at HD/Lowes in a small 8oz bottle for a few bucks.

Or.....a little white vinegar and a piece of aluminum foil.  Dip the aluminum foil in the vinegar and rub - and you won't believe how fast the rust goes away!  Then wash off the vinegar and black residue before it dries.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 09/26/14 at 15:25:44

Nice bike, my '02 has gone through so many changes I've almost forgotten how nice looking they are stock. don't forget to keep the idle up over 1000 rpm to get oil to the top end.
ride safe

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 09/26/14 at 17:30:02

At the risk of being boringly repetitious, you have three friends, your two mirrors and the big gap in front of, and where possible around you. Your IRC tyres are relatively unknown acquaintances, they aren't worthy of total trust.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #18 - 09/26/14 at 20:29:17

For this month I'm only going to be driving around my neighborhood. I am new to this and new to the bike. I will be going to our local church parking lot and practicing. I'm under no rush and I want to do things right. I just ordered the Clymer manual and am going to go over the bike in detail this next week. Over winter I'll see what needs to be done and take my time.
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #19 - 10/04/14 at 11:35:32

Well, it's Saturday, I got the bike over a week ago and haven't ridden it yet! Work, getting tags and this lovely, lovely Illinois weather have been putting a crush on things. Grin I'll try and get out sometime next week. Just got my Clymer manual and am pouring over it!
Jeff

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 10/04/14 at 11:45:22

Get a highlighter and an ink pen, go to tech section and mark all the known errors in the clymers manual.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1119775997

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #21 - 10/11/14 at 22:29:57

Picked up a few quarts of Rotella T6, a new filter and have a new battery on order. Took it out for a few miles the other day. Bought a nice pair of boots today and am looking for a jacket. Not a lot of shops in my area to try a variety on. Angry Started going over the bike in detail, marking down bolt sizes, tools needed, wire routing etc. Really a better bike than I expected. Cheesy
Jeff

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 10/13/14 at 00:06:46

congrats Jeff

That bike is Almost NEW !  Shocked

Shocked  

Do keep the idle up to at least 1000 , prefered 1200 rpm  .    It will keep the cam bearing oiled and it will last 50k miles or more!  Wink
With my first one I fell to the temptation to idle it down low so it sounded good at redlights.   Then  the cam began to rattle, I found out
the hard way  Sad.   I have another one now and you can be sure it stays idled up.    I took it apart at 40-something thousand miles and there wasn't even a ring grove.   About 15000 miles you need to do the "Versey" cam chain thing , until then just ride it and enjoy.  Smiley

Feels like a 250 bike , but it don't slowdown going up hill !   What more could ya ask for ?  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #23 - 10/13/14 at 08:01:39

It idles high on it's own. Once warmed up it goes very nicely. It does need a good Italian tune-up. Once my new battery gets here I'll hook that up and get the oil changed. Then it will be buzzed around the neighborhood until it gets too cold. I haven't even opened it up very far yet. I'm a very controlled learner/ rider.
About the only thing I could ask for with it is a better riding position. I prefer the standard or cafe' position. The cruiser position on this one, especially how the grips angle down, makes my hands slide off a touch. Instead of pushing into a turn it feels more like pulling. Huh
Jeff

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 10/13/14 at 09:23:28

Loosen the cap nuts over the top of the clamp that holds the handle bars and move the thing to the most comfortable position for you.

Yes, Virginia, the handlebars and the rear brake petal height and the toe shifter heights are intended to be adjusted to fit YOUR body.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #25 - 10/13/14 at 11:50:38

For now I'm just going to leave them alone. I'll probably be doing a Ryca conversion next season anyway. Wink The rear brake could probably use a turn on the back nut though. Smiley
Jeff

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #26 - 10/13/14 at 17:56:29

Okay, i'll fall.... what is an "Italian tune up"? Huh

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #27 - 10/13/14 at 18:56:42

It goes something like this. Many early Ferrari owners would bring their cars back after a few seasons reporting sluggishness, erratic running, backfires etc... The mechanics knew (almost too well) what to do. The customer would leave the car with them for a few days. The mechanics would take the cars out and flog the hell out of them for 50 miles or so; going the gears, pushing the redline, hard downshifting etc... Essentially, they were blowing the built up carbon and junk out of the engine and carbs. The owners, not privy to a racetrack, had no place to wind them out and were pretty much putting around, clogging the engines. They would get the cars back a few days later and be in awe of the mechanic's skill at "tuning" their Ferraris. Wink
Early Porches and 911s usually didn't like to run under 3,000 RPM, the amazing 4 cam engines were never supposed to be run under 5,000RPM Shocked (Those 4 cams were sexy as hell!)
So that's what an Italian tune up is. My bike only had 144 miles a year put on it and I think it could use a good rowing through the gears. Cool
Jeff

« Last Edit: 10/13/14 at 23:06:16 by Jeff71 »  

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #28 - 10/14/14 at 00:12:40

Since you're still under 500miles the attached table may help with the Italian tune up.

001_028.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

Reply #29 - 10/14/14 at 20:28:17

Actually I have just over 1600 miles on the bike. I put all of 22 miles of that on it! Grin
Just got my new battery so I'll get that installed Friday, then once the roads dry a touch I'll get the oil changed. Smiley
Jeff

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:19:43

General CategoryThe Cafe › cocked the gun

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.