Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fork mounted headlight options (Read 546 times)
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fork mounted headlight options
09/18/14 at 20:25:39

So my stock headlight is about to bust off. It's been cracked around the mounting point for well over a year. But it's about to finally break off. Riding home from work tonight I was worried it was gonna come off, get caught in the front wheel and wreck my black ass. It's bouncing so much it looks like a strobe light on the street signs in front of me.

I figure I'll take the opportunity to upgrade to a bigger headlight. Just wondering if this 7" fork mounted light from DCC will work with the Savage. I'm running the Ryca clip ons, so it might be a bit low, but whatever.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/black-and-chrome-7-inch-metric-style-headlight-...

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

Thanks for any info.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Fork mounted headlight options
Reply #1 - 09/18/14 at 20:30:59

What is the extra bulb in the housing?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/18/14 at 20:35:15

No clue. Somewhere here will probably know. I just want a bigger light. Beef up the front end a bit hopefully. Maybe throw this on there as well.

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/18/14 at 20:48:04

Looks like the biggest issue is the line coming from the front brake master cylinder. Can that be rotated up to allow more clearance for the mounting brackets?

And goddarn, my bike looks dirty in the flash from the camera...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/18/14 at 21:15:41

Kris01 wrote on 09/18/14 at 20:30:59:
What is the extra bulb in the housing?

Quote:
And if that's not enough for your ton-up lovin' self, how about the fact that it sports a high quality euro style glass lens and backer with one of those super cool illumination bulbs on the interior? In addition, it takes a standard H4 bulb for easy replacement.

WWW   IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/18/14 at 21:17:49

You will probably have to bend the brackets, but it should work. I had put this one in a few weeks for months back. (quoted from another thread)

"I used this combo and I love it.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-choppe...

The bucket is metal and really well built.  I love that it has the threads built in and I dont have to monkey with a nut on the inside of the bucket.  The lens is glass and the H4 bulb is really bright.  I comes in flat black, I threw a clear coat on it and it looks perfect gloss black now.

Really happy with it."

Links updated...

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/18/14 at 21:21:32

Whoops, our bad...

The page you requested was not found, and we have a fine guess why.

If you typed the URL directly, please make sure the spelling is correct.
       If you clicked on a link to get here, the link is outdated.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/18/14 at 21:31:12

Links updated above.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/19/14 at 03:29:48

The fork mounted headlight will most likely be fine, there will be some bending of the new mounts required to get the fork spacing and headlight width to work together.  It appears you will be able to mount it at least as high as the stock headlight.

The extra bulb is a throwback to the Old School bikes.  Some countries/cities required that you have parking lights whenever you parked on the street.  The small bulb lit the front of the bike - while the tail light lit up the back.  Our Savage has that park function - but doesn't have that little light in the headlight anymore.

I owned a 1970's car once that was imported from Germany.  When the car was turned off, you could move the turn signal lever to the right or left, and the turn signals on that side of the car would turn on and burn steady (no blinking)....and when the car was turned on the turn signals functioned normal.  This would allow you to park the car and turn on the lights nearest the street for parking lights.  That way you only used half the power that was needed if you pulled the headlight switch and ran all 4 parking lights (and the license plate light).  The US version of that same car did not have that feature.

PS...I don't think that black R/R crossing thingy will look good on your RYCA.  It might look OK on a military scheme bike.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/19/14 at 13:28:49

If you all think I can make it work, I'm gonna go ahead and order it. Just don't wanna order something and it be useless. Would a smaller diameter headlight be easier? 6"?

IP Logged
scannerzer
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

northern ireland
Reply #10 - 09/19/14 at 13:34:14

i used this type of headlamp and brackets as shown in the first pic on the trike i built ,i had to make spacers between the clamps and the lamp but it worked out nice

1990 ls 650 Met red,4speed
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/19/14 at 13:35:07

Measure the distance between the center line of the fork tubes, and the easiest headlight will be one that had the width at the mounting bolts close to that dimension.  The headlight you linked said it was 8" wide at the mounting points....if the forks are about the same...you are good to go.  You can angle the brackets in/out a little bit to account for a different width.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/19/14 at 13:45:16

Center line is about 7.5".

IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/20/14 at 07:10:21

I went with a fork mounted set up from DCC and I am very pleased. MOved to a 7" with a Hella light. I Went with the chrome larger british style bucket, well built. MUCH better light output, even without adding a relay.

I did get the medium duty brackets, and they are a bit long for my tastes. And, as others have mentioned, they required a little bending.

The shorter ones you are looking at will be better for bringing the light closer to the forks, but I think it will take a bit of a bend to get it to meet the bucket.

I Would look for some of the brackets that already have a 'step' built into them, so you don't have to bend them yourself.

Good luck!

IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/20/14 at 09:47:05

I'm just gonna go ahead and order it. Wrapped some tape around the headlight and forks yesterday to keep it from bouncing around so much because I had some running around to do. But it finally snapped clean off on the way home. Literally held in place just with tape right now. I wanna get the order placed so I can have the parts by Tuesday or so. If I can't make it work, I have a buddy that owns a shop who will.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:10:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork mounted headlight options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.