Send Topic Print
Signal wire problems. (Read 58 times)
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Signal wire problems.
09/18/14 at 13:29:19

Has anyone had an issue with the turn signal wires grounding? My left signal wont work right I have put two of them on and they burn out and fall off. I tested the wires and I get a ground followed it to the were the wires connect under the seat and not in the first half. I dont want to tear into the bundle of wires. Are their any common areas this happens or could it be in the switch on the handle bars?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Signal wire problems.
Reply #1 - 09/18/14 at 15:58:26

I've been around the forum for years and I have never seen anyone with that problem exactly. What do you mean by "falls off" ? Describe the way you have searched again,if you would. Try to help us understand how you've been going at it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 09/18/14 at 16:35:49

I have problems with my headlight, well it doesn't work.  I got a multi-meter and started testing everything.  The issue on mine is the connector which sits under the tank on the right hand side.  Some of the male / female connectors have become corroded.  I'm going to have to cut & splice two or three wires.  I really should shrink wrap them as well.  I doubt this helps you; although, you are not the only one.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
T.Claiborne13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/18/14 at 18:06:47

the left rear signal lights literal short out and burn the wire toward were they go into the rear signal both were aftermarket LED of different brands and fell off while riding. I used a multimeter and found both the positive and negative are grounded by the ohms setting on the meter. I worked from the rear light back and the short is coming the set of wires that run from under the tank or the switch itself but the front left signal works, the set of wires that connect under the seat to the actual turn signal are good. it is a 2003 LS

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/18/14 at 18:18:58

Ohm meters see the filament of a lamp as a short. If you have LED's,I dunno.. depends on how the meter is connected,meter settings.. Unplug the harness that feeds the turn signal and then see what you have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/19/14 at 03:55:11

What kind of LED lights/wires are you trying to use?

If the LED's you bought work as both running lights and turn signals, and the ground is through the mounting stud - then you are wiring them wrong by connecting one wire to ground and one wire to power.

If the LED's you bought are single purpose and only have one bright light function - then most likely one wire is ground and one wire is power.

The stock turns signals lights do not use the mounting stud as a ground, and this may be causing you a problem with your new turn signals.

If the chassis wires are not burning up, then take your volt/ohm meter and test the wiring harness without any turn signals connected.  You should have 12V of power available on the green wire for the right turn signal, and on the solid black wire on the left rear. (You will need to have the key turned on and the turn signal switch turned to the side you are testing).  The ground wires are the black wires with white marks.

Link to Wiring Diagram.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Signal wire problems.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.