stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Heat Shield Questions
09/18/14 at 07:58:56

I used the heat shield that came with my dyna muffler.  I think it looks good, but I am wondering of it is getting too hot or if i just never felt how hot the factory shield got.

There appears to be less clearance on this shield versus the larger factory shield, and on the front end the shield actually touches the header pipe.  I robbed a piece of the fabric material from the back of the factory shield and glued it on (jb weld) to this spot in an effort to create a small heat barrier and reduce friction/rubbing on the header as well.  Still got pretty hot.

Got some muffler repair tape and folded it over to make a thicker barrier and it still got fairly hot and the factory glue (supposedly heat resistant) was all stankin' and smokin' when i got to the office (7 mile ride).

a) Is there a better, cheap alternative to making a heat pad/friction barrier where the pipes touch to minimize the heat on the shield?

b) Should I stick more padding on the inside brackets to step it off the muffler a little mire or will it not really matter and get just as hot since it's so close and the key to this puzzle is air moving across it while moving?

c) How hot do yall's after market heat shields get? Hot enough to melt your britches or just hot enough to make you realize you don't want to keep touching it?

Thanks all!

IMG-20140912-02194.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Heat Shield Questions
Reply #1 - 09/18/14 at 08:31:32

Key to heat shields being heat shields is air gap and air flow.
Otherwise they will heat up the same as whatever they're attached to.
pipe wrap may help but it's sure to discolor what's underneath/stink when wet.

I'd think you'd want it cooler that what will cause a burn, but you may have to settle for less than what will burn your pants.

I'd shift it back till it was off the header pipe or raise it up.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 09/18/14 at 08:46:51

I have two of the shields (same as what's on there) so I'll play around with one and see how I can modify it to give me more air flow.  Worst case. I'll get what some of the other members have referenced and see if it works better.  I think they got their for around $10 or so.

On a positive note, today's first official production run proved to be good.  Nice sound, very smooth engine performance, and I actually felt like it ran a little better on the top end as I was rolling into 65mph and didn't realize I was cruising along that fast (well 'fast' is sorta relative I guess).  Not sure if the dyna helped with this or it's just me wanting it to have helped to validate my efforts, but I like it.  

Rolling off the the throttle and running through the gears I get very little pops and crackles as some have noted, but when do get them I embrace them, stiffen up my shoulders a little, and look around to see who heard the awesome rumbles from my mean, grumbling machine   Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/18/14 at 13:31:28

I'd want to see close to 1/4" gap and the ability for air to flow between the header and shield. Can you post a pic of the inside of the shield and let us see how it mounts? We might be able to help you figure out how to get it spaced right and mounted up nice.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/18/14 at 13:44:32

The problem with the front of the shield, is that the Savage header outer pipe has a 2" diameter....while the original header used on the Harley is 1-3/4" ID pipe.  Harley has nice chrome shields that hide the smaller pipe behind it.  The shield on your muffler used to have a larger shield on the header pipe that connected to the muffler...and a smaller header pipe hidden behind it.  (Next time you see a Harley.....go look at the shield set up).

I really believe that these shields are cosmetic additions.....the exhaust on these bikes get hot...with or without the shields.  The shields hide the clamps, bluing, and rust.  While the shields may lower the temperature some.....they will still be hot and most likely capable of burning your polyester pants and bare skin.

(I have purposely avoided calling these "heat shields" in my post).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 09/18/14 at 14:08:56

Given those details about the different sizes of the pipes the shield mounts to and,of course,the obvious but rarely stated fact regarding the actual function of the "heat shield",what it does and,more to the point,doesn't Do,the question becomes IMO,is there anything really to be gained by working on the way it's mounted? If you decide to put the time in to see about spacing it out some,I'll sure put some time into studying the pics and see if I can be of any help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 09/18/14 at 20:28:55

Justin and Dave:

I do feel this is more of a cosmetic than a true super duty heat shield after reviewing your comments and considering my case. I like the longer, sleek look of it and think if I get it off the header and increase the space it will suffice.  

I have some thoughts on adding a spacer using the little hole in the clamp bracket, just gotta get time to tinker in between yardwork and installing laundry room cabinets.   Shocked Shocked

If you have suggestions, I'll take `em.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1409869320000.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 09/18/14 at 21:25:35

I see myself with a pair of tin snips and a coupla tin cans. I'd pull the clamps and look at how it fits and start shimming. Remember,the clamp is gonna wrap around the pipe on the bike,so shims have to be bent and fitted to the pipe,not the radius we see inside the shield. But it's gonna hafta fit some what with that or you risk it rocking.. It's not gonna be hard to do. I just don't know anything about you,your tools,experience..nothing.. But,if it's clamped down good enough that it won't move,then you don't have to screw anything into the hole.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 09/19/14 at 07:55:47

Justin, that's sorta what I was thinking.  If I don't have anything to scrap at home, my brother has access to aluminum plate and a water jet and I think some nice aluminum plates stacked in there (bent to the radius) would be perfect especially considering that aluminum would dissipate the heat faster than a piece of steel or something.  I'd probably jbweld the plate to the shield bracket just to keep it from wiggling out with the vibration.

I'm no fancy fabricator, but I have grinders and small cutting tools, a small welder, and such and know enough to be dangerous and will try anything. I like to make stuff just to see if I can.  Smiley  So cutting, bending, beating, attaching, etc. are things I can do, just don't critique the cosmetic beauty (or lack there of ) of the finished product.  Wink

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/19/14 at 09:34:09

Don't use aluminum as a spacer, as heat will be transferred through it easily.  You want spacers that don't have good ability to transfer heat, like ceramic tiles, or the stuff that Suzuki uses on the header shield.

JB Weld also will not handle temperatures reached in the exhaust system.  It will work on most engine blocks....but not the exhaust.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/19/14 at 11:15:54

Man,don't make it a science project. Take the cans the corn and green beans came in,use the snips,cut some rectangles,bend them to the pipe. Bend one,then stack one and bend it,or,cut a few and run a clamp down on them and they will conform. If you cut them long,okay,once they are properly radiused then cut them to length. Now you've got a stack of crap you'll never get "In There" unless you stick it all together.. As Dave said JB won't survive the heat,,Ohh well,,you gotta do something,,the clamp should hold the shims in,just don't cut them so skinny as the clamps. Make them wide enough and they will stay. And whatever you can do to get them in and lined up is fair. Even if it's gonna get burnt out. So on the edges,not between,or if there is room and you can drill holes and run a tiny"twist-tie" wire at a couple of corners,,lotsa ways to skin that cat. No reason for it to eat a day..
Even if you Do wind up with a thin layer of JB in there,just keep an eye on it. It's not gonna fly off or go from"Well,gee whiz Wally,it was on there rock solid just a minute ago and now it's just barely even hanging on." Might stink a little. I dunno..

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 09/19/14 at 11:43:31

No science project?  I think you missed this part:

stewmills wrote on 09/19/14 at 07:55:47:
I like to make stuff just to see if I can.  Smiley  )

I think I have too much of my brother in me...He is OCD/meticulous/crazy. Ask him for a pencil to take notes and he'll go fall a tree, round up some lead/graphite, and make you a pencil because the ones at the store aren't good enough.  Sorta joking, but he was building an 8 x 16 garage door frame and stressing because it was 1/4 inch out of square and wanted to grind/polish all the welds that would be covered up anyway.  

Anyhow, I'll see what vegetable medley of cans I can come up with and see what I can create without getting to crazy with it.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/19/14 at 12:12:17

Ohh trust me,I get it. I can't count the hours I've spent building things and stressing over details of no consequence. I am currently building a test light from a mini lamp socket.. I don't LIKE the ones I could go buy for 5 bucks..and I Am making a science project of it. I'm  having electrical problems with the pick-up and I NEED one that is sensitive to low current And I need to be able to get it into the cab but connected to the battery ground lead that is not on the battery. I'm using a small charger for the"battery"and the lamp needs to be in series with it. It's gonna need to be a little different than the average test light. I'll need to be able to stick an amp meter in line with it,other details not worth the effort of typing.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 09/29/14 at 11:03:40

OK...so i finally got around to the heat shield last night and think I got it handled where it's off the header and there's some breathing room for air flow.

Had some small steel strapping and on the rear bracket I welded 3 pieces together and bent to the radius of the heat shield and it stepped it out close to a total of 1/2" or so from the muffler.  So it didn't slip, I welded a little tit (can I say that?) on the back side and filed it down to fit in the little hole in the middle of the heat shield as seen in the previous pics. With this tit in the hole and the strap tight, it's not going anywhere (until the strap breaks!!).

Since the front clamp falls to the immediate rear of the primary pipe clamp (not on the larger radius of the muffler itself) I had to make a bracket with an extension that sorta looks like two pieces of metal in the shape of a 'C' connected with a piece in the middle, I guess like this (--( where the left side of the (--( is on the inside of the heat shield and the right side rests over the pipe.

Sorry, I was working in the poor lighting of my garage last night and pictures in the dark don't generally turn out well so I didn't take any...and partially because I thought I was just mocking up the final fit and it seemed it fit so well that I just went with it.

If anyone is wrestling with the same or a similar set-up, just bump this thread and I'll be happy to pull it off and get some pics for you.

IMG-20140929-02242.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/29/14 at 16:05:30

Mannatlooksrealgoodman,realgoodImtellinyaman..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 08:45:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heat Shield Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.