Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Heat Shield Questions
Reply #15 - 09/30/14 at 06:24:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/29/14 at 16:05:30:
Mannatlooksrealgoodman,realgoodImtellinyaman..

I'm steppin' in what you're droppin'  Grin

If the weather will lighten up I can hopefully ride later this week and test it out.  I do think, though, that if I have a few minutes I'll take it off and make sure and use some tie wire to secure the brackets to the shield just in case it gets jolted loose I won't lose my brackets. If I do, I'll snag a few pics of my rudimentary fabricating skills. Shocked

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #16 - 09/30/14 at 19:29:07

OK...so I ended up taking it off tonight (the heat shield, not my clothes) and here are a few pics of the brackets:

Here are the brackets.  The little 'tit' on the top is what sits in the little hole on the inside bracket of the heat shield. Painted them black with the high-temp black spray paint just to try and avoid rust on the raw steel.
On the left is the taller bracket that goes on the front end where there is more space to fill (as mentioned in a previous post).

Side view. Here you can see the radius a little better.

View of the brackets resting in place. I'll tie them on with a little piece of tie wire before installing permanently on the bike just to make sure if the strap breaks loose the bracket won't be lost.

Enjoy!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/30/14 at 20:12:47

You went Full ON,OCD,Science Project!

How much time went into
Number one:
    Developing a mental image of the solution.
Number B
    Scrounging up materials
Number three
     Actually cutting,bending and fitting and installing..

I think it's a Fine example of,well,whatever it is people like me and people like you,do..
Instead of shimming it up,you designed and built parts to do the job..
Big Hat Tip to you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 09/30/14 at 20:45:04

Thanks. It's all about the challenge. I was one of those kids that you didn't want to tell "don't do that" or "you can't do that".   Prove `em wrong every time  Grin Grin Grin

The mental image...sorta came to me when I was discussing it with my brother. All told I probably thought about it here and there throughout the week when I was bored. I am OCD and won't really stop until I get to it.

Materials I had...just a small piece of steel strapping.

Fabrication took about two hours to cut, bend, weld, grind, fit, refit, and finally I made myself call it good enough and stopped. Cheesy

Yeah, I guess admitting we have a problem is the first step to recovery  Grin Grin Grin

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 09/30/14 at 21:01:04

Good luck with that..
If there was a 12 step program for OCD I'd turn it into 16 steps and that would not get it,anyway. I don't know how to access them now,but I had pics of parts I made from a plastic mop bucket I machined on a drill press with a vise that would move on the X and Y axis and I fixed an AC vent on a car.. Took a ton of hours,but made selling it a lot better.. I set my teeth in something,it's ON,,,
Finally,after Years of telling myself I need to focus on getting the job done more than trying to make it a work of art I Am doing better at Just Doing the Ding Dang Jawb. But,there are just some things I can not cut corners on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #20 - 10/01/14 at 06:24:36

I'm right there with you.  Some things I can let go but some I just have to stick with for better or for worse just to know I tried.

Recent example: The teeney tiny bulb behind the "D" on my tundra's gear indicator went out. Pulled the speedo compartment completely out and found a blown bulb so I swapped it with the good bulb in the "L" that I rarely ever use (since I use "D" daily) and I still ordered new LED bulbs for the now defunct "L" and all of the other gear indicators. I'm sure the average person would have left well enough alone, but I can't not do something I know I am capable of doing.

On a brighter note, I rode to work today and the previously acclaimed non-heat shield (via Dave I think) is now in fact an official heat shield given the additional air flow. When i pulled up at work I got off the bike and literally (but cautiously) put my hand on the heat shield and it was of course quite warm but I could keep my hand resting on it as long as I wanted and it kinda felt good considering I rode this morning in ~65 degrees with no gloves.

So...for anyone wondering if the changes helped/worked, the answer is absolutely positively uhh-huh!

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 10/02/14 at 07:51:27

The stand off distance makes the difference. Now, instead of it being tucked in tight for the visual "Tidiness" its stepped out, to allow enough flow between it and the pipe to actually make it BE a heat shield.. And, I think it looks Phabulous..

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 10/02/14 at 08:29:29

Woo HOO I FOUND 'em!

http://s860.photobucket.com/?postlogin=true

See if that gets ya there..

That drill press passed on,, A friend Gave me a like new, 69 or 70 model Craftsman with 2 work tables and 2 vises. One rotates and travels on the X Y axes.. All Sears, All Made in USA/.. The pamphlet
100 ways to get more outta your drill press
has a copyright of 69.

Went lookin for the pamphlet & LO and BE Hold,, Found an owners manual for one that Juuust like it, except for the number of work surfaces..

So, heres pics, of a sort, of my drill press..

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/4890.pdf

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 20:16:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heat Shield Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.