Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intermittent ignition cut-out (Read 47 times)
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Intermittent ignition cut-out
09/14/14 at 01:26:28

Hi guys. AFter running flawlessly for months, my Savage starts acting up. Ignition cuts out for, say, half a second when riding solo over road bumps. Two-up rides are almost impossible, lots of cutouts. With two-up, the bike sits a tad lower,  which led me to think there was something going on at the rear.

I checked the wiring and connectors under the seat and pillion pad. Nothing offensive there. Everything nice and tight, no chafed wires or nothing. What´s next?

Is there some connector elsewhere in the loom that is notorious to cause issues like this? Maybe one of the kill switches is acting up?

I guess I will have to start checking everything, but..since the issue only shows up when riding it´s kindof difficult. I might find the culprit, or not. In any case I won´t be able to say exactly what cured it, which is annoying.  Ideas?

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Intermittent ignition cut-out
Reply #1 - 09/14/14 at 06:50:03

Side stand Safety switch would be my guess.  It will cut out the ignition any time the bike is in gear.  They are known to go bad and cause intermittent or permanent loss of ignition.

You can bypass the switch at the connector on the left side of the frame, near the battery box, behind the left side cover painted the same color as the tank and fenders.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #2 - 09/14/14 at 07:32:44

Dave, I´ll have a look at that. The switch (on/below the sidestand mount) goes bad, and the best way to "fix" it is to short it at the connector, which is under the side cover. Correct? Thanks for the tip!

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 09/14/14 at 07:53:07

heel of your boot hitting the side stand

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/14/14 at 08:10:09

Bluesman wrote on 09/14/14 at 07:32:44:
Dave, I´ll have a look at that. The switch (on/below the sidestand mount) goes bad, and the best way to "fix" it is to short it at the connector, which is under the side cover. Correct? Thanks for the tip!

Bypassing it will tell you if the switch is the problem.  Then you can decide if you want to replace it.....or eliminate it.  Us old guys that have gotten used to putting the kickstand up before we even start the bike don't miss it when it is gone....new riders might benefit by having the switch.  Riding off with the kickstand down can cause you to tip over when you try to turn left.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #5 - 09/14/14 at 14:33:26

I ain´t exactly a noob with motorcycles...been doing this in various forms since 1973. A sidestand won´t trip me Smiley. Thanks for your concern, though Smiley

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:31:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intermittent ignition cut-out

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.