Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
2003 Savage ticking? Please advise (Read 594 times)
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Re: 2003 Savage ticking? Please advise
Reply #45 - 08/31/16 at 15:23:32

here is the new rockers/head cover

IMG_1987.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #46 - 08/31/16 at 16:29:17

The head and the bearing cap are line bored (there a matched set) you need to replace both and you have damage to the bearing journals in the head anyway. Seeing you have low compression I'd replace the entire top end ,just to be safe,if you don't you'll just be ruining your new parts .You should get a Clymers  book to help guide you through the process .your old cam and rocker arms are junk.the cylinder can be saved for a rebore.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #47 - 08/31/16 at 16:40:57

I'm a mechanic and I know Real, professional mechanics.
Unless you Know the job, have done it until you don't need a manual, you need a manual.
And no, filing the cam won't be okay. It's hard at the surface.
Get under the hard stuff, it's gonna wear.
They are polished, and file marks will eat your rockers.

The used engine idea was likely the answer.
Did someone here suggest you buy parts?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #48 - 08/31/16 at 16:52:01

JOG he's got a parts bike,he could  swap the motor ,but he's already taking it apart!  Another case of jump then ask?

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #49 - 08/31/16 at 17:01:14

Thanks for the quick replies! It is not quite a case of jump then ask as the parts bike I got has sat outside for years and was given to me for free. I wouldn't go through the hassle of swapping the entire engine out without taking a look inside first. The parts bike top end looks good as far as I can tell. I haven't removed it from the frame yet to take off the cylinder. I will be ordering the Clymers manual today on ebay unless someone can direct me to a better place to grab one.

Is it correct that I will have to remove the clutch to remove the camshaft? If so I know I need a special tool for the rotor.

While I have both engines out I want to grab a verslagen tensioner, do the head plug mod, raptor petcock mod and replace all gaskets. I have been trying to educate myself as best as possible before I start ordering parts.

Thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate it. If there are any forum members around the tri-country area in Charleston, SC I would love to get together. Have a garage we can wrench in and many tools that I don't mind sharing. Cheers

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #50 - 08/31/16 at 17:02:17

Well, to swap the tops he hazta take stuff apart, but deciding How to repair a zorched engine when providing details to experienced people will deliver the best options instead of risking stumbling around, wasting time and money.. ?

Why?
What is the benefit in being on a forum?
Post pics of what you did?
That you can do over?
If it's got low compression and I can see what shape the journals are in,  and Yes, the head and cover Are line bored. Supposed to replace them as a pair.

Recommend you slow down,
What are the relevant parts of the post?
I don't wanna be digging through a bunch of meaningless stuff.

What's wrong with swapping out the whole motor?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #51 - 08/31/16 at 17:36:42

I'm not sure if it has low compression, it tested at 105 cold and 110 warm a few years ago when I first got the bike. You can hear it run in a youtube video I posted in the first message.

The parts bike I found has sat outside for years, I was told the engine ran when parked but have no other information on it. I don't trust it. When I pulled the head cover everything looked great, when I pulled the clutch side cover the clutch is corroded bad so that will certainly need to be replaced regardless.

Thanks for the advise, I'm new to working on bikes. I understand I need to replace the head and cover in a set now, so I'm thinking of pulling both the engines, taking the entire top end off the parts bike and installing it on the bottom end of the original engine. I know this will be a lot of work but this is more of a hobby and I want to learn a lot about these engines.

I guess I could also just buy a used engine, do a swap and sell the other parts but I figured I would at least try to piece together one good engine from what I have first.

What would you do?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #52 - 08/31/16 at 17:42:03

I'd start with evaluating the engines.
You have
Two clutches
Starter
Get a compression test on both.
You may or may not have an engine.
Don't just start swapping parts.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 08/31/16 at 17:58:57

I would expect the cam bearing surface of the head to be just as chewed up as the head cover, and I would not use good rockers on a camshaft that is showing wear.

I wouldn't assemble the engine without taking the cam out and looking at the head to see if it is worn.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #54 - 08/31/16 at 18:00:36

Ok I will try to do another compression test. When I did it a few years ago when the bike was running the original engine was between 105-110.

I'll have to do some research on doing them. The engines are already partially disconnected as I was preparing to pull them. Can you do a compression test without reconnecting everything? Researching now.  

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #55 - 08/31/16 at 18:05:20

Thank you Dave. I think I am going to pull both engines, pull the top end off the original engine an take a look at the head. Then probably swap the entire top end. I know I'm going to need a 32mm socket for the front pulley and that special clutch pulling tool. Will I need any other special tools?

Ordering a new gasket set, clymers manual, and clutch puller tomorrow.

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #56 - 08/31/16 at 18:08:52

I still can't find anything about pulling the camshaft, do you have to remove the clutch to remove it or can you just take off the covers and tensioner? I'm sure this is explained in detail in Clymers I just want to get an idea of what I'm up against.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #57 - 08/31/16 at 18:10:30

ghkizer1 wrote on 08/31/16 at 18:05:20:
Will I need any other special tools?

Ordering a new gasket set, clymers manual, and clutch puller tomorrow.

you don't need a clutch puller, comes off quite easily.
I forget witch socket you need with the clutch, but you need a 30 and a 32.
If you plan on pulling the rotor, there is a special tool for that.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #58 - 08/31/16 at 18:12:56

Which is why I made the crack about you taking it apart, you could have put a little oil in the spark plug hole ,turned it  over buy hand a few times and done a compression test....you don't have to do anything to the clutch except take off the side cover and jam a piece of soft alum. plate between the toothed gears just below where you removed the tensioner , to keep them from turning when you take out the two bolts that hold the 'c' clip on the side of the timing  gear on the cam.(take care not to drop them down inside the motor).You have a need to read!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 08/31/16 at 18:15:33

so keep the cover and head together, they are machined to fit.

I would use the other engine as is, it maybe seized, pour a little atf in the sparkplug hole in case the rings are stuck.  All these these things you are about to get into are why people fail and ruin an engine.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 11:12:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2003 Savage ticking? Please advise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.