Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
2003 Savage ticking? Please advise (Read 594 times)
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
2003 Savage ticking? Please advise
09/13/14 at 12:59:52

SmileyFirst post on the forum, I am learning a ton from all the information out here. A quick run down, I received this bike for free and do not know the history on it. I went through the bike when I received it. Changed the oil, changed the spark plug, checked the cam chain tensioner(11mm), cleaned the carb, bike started right up but I heard a ticking noise coming from the top of the engine, figured it was valves, broke the bike back down, found TDC on the compression stroke, adjusted the valves down to .003, started the bike again, still a loud ticking noise. I have never heard one of these bikes run and have heard they are loud ticking engines. I uploaded a video to YouTube, I would REALLY appreciate it if some of you guys on here could check out the video and give me some advice. I am going to convert the bike into a bobber soon, would love some suggestions on a seat, fender, lights, and pegs. THANKS SO MUCH!

Trey

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Re: 2003 Savage ticking? Please advise
Reply #1 - 09/13/14 at 13:00:15

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 09/13/14 at 13:44:42

Not sure if it helps but I am located in Charleston, SC, the bike is a stock 2003 Suzuki Savage with 4248 miles. I would LOVE to get together with other riders in this area. I have another engine being delivered that I plan on completely rebuilding and maybe modifying for a little more power. I would be more than willing to help others with repairs,(I enjoying learning and helping others) you can pay me in beer. I have just about every tool you can think of and a garage to work in. Hopefully some locals will see this and respond. Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Trey

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 09/13/14 at 14:42:38

It doesn't sound right..
Sounds like the noise it coming from up top

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/13/14 at 14:49:12

check the adjustment of your decomp.... looks to me like it's adjusted way to tight.

And that probably where the noise is coming from.

WWW   IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 09/13/14 at 15:35:54

Thanks for the quick responses!!

I just adjusted the decomp to 4mm. I got super excited since it was adjusted way to tight. Hit start and it fires right up, still tick tick ticking loud. Can't believe it!

Any other suggestions? Verslagen thanks for the help! It did need adjusting and you are a legend. I appreciate it, one step closer to figuring this out. The bike seems to crank right up and run great other than this knocking.

Its definitely coming from the top.

Cheers! Smiley

IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/13/14 at 15:48:45

Valves tapping head?

How fast does it heat? (are we sure the oil situation is as it should be) To me it sounds like its running dry.

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #7 - 09/13/14 at 15:51:44

I just replaced the oil. Used 2.1qts of Quicksilver Powersports Lubricants, Motorcycle 4-Stroke Oil, 20W-50 Full Synthetic, it was the only motorcycle oil at wally world. This is driving me crazy.

IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 09/13/14 at 16:39:50

I just did a compression test on a warm engine. I unscrewed the spark plug screwed in the tester, held the throttle wide open and hit start. The reading was 105psi. I know this is low... Did I do the test correctly? I couldn't find a good write up on it using the search. I haven't tried to pour in a tablespoon of oil and try it again.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/13/14 at 17:25:21

while rotella T and T6 are not marketed as m/c oil, they both have the JASO MA rating which is what our bike requires.

I adjust the decomp by how it starts... 2 or 3 rev's and it may be too tight.  
1st rev may be too loose.  too loose and the starter may stall.
looser is better to me.

there's a little bathtub under the cam, if it's oiling properly, it's full of oil.
set your bike upright or nearly upright with a block under the kickstand.
run it for a minute, you don't want it hot for this test, then shut it down.
take off the front valve inspection cover and stick your finger in there,
you should be able to reach the tub and oil should be in it.

while you're here, check the decomp cam. there's a little stub sticking out over the right side of the rocker.  they shouldn't hit during normal operation.  I would open the timing port and rotate the crank thru the exhaust stroke to check.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/13/14 at 17:58:10

Everything you've said makes me believe you're pretty sharp,but,you're new here,so,I HAFTA ask this.. Are you Certain that the motor was at TDC compression? You were careful to not turn it backwards to get it there?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 09/13/14 at 18:20:36

Justin, I checked it twice to make absolute certain, I rotated the crank shaft the same direction the wheels spin, counter clock wise, went through the cycle a few times to make sure I had a good understanding of everything. I rested my hand on the intake rocker and when I felt it go down I then lined up the timing marks. I also popped out the sparkplug and carefully inserted a screwdriver in the hole touching the top of the piston. This would be TDC on the compression stroke correct?

As far as Verslagen's advice, it starts on first rev so I think the decomp is slightly loose but it fires right up and runs great. (other than the loud knocking Cheesy)

I then stabilized the bike upright, ran it for a minute, and removed the top inspection cover. The rockers look like theyre oily but I couldn't find the oil tub, I didn't know exactly where to stick my fingers and could barely get one in anyway. I tried to take some pictures, maybe you can see it?

I've still got the inspection cover off, could you be more specific on where I am looking?

I also took a picture of the compression tester. Highest I got it was a hair over 110 with a warm engine.

Thanks again everyone!

photo_1_1.JPG
  IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 09/13/14 at 18:25:30

I know this is really stupid but I can't figure out how to post multiple pictures. I thought I came across a "How to Post Pictures" article before but now I can't find it.

photo_1_2.JPG
  IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #13 - 09/13/14 at 18:27:37

Also the decomp lever, if it isn't touching it is EXTREMELY close to touching. I tried to go through the cycle a few times and it does seem to be super super close to the top of the rocker. Is this normal?

photo_2_1.JPG
  IP Logged
ghkizer1
YaBB Newbies

Go COCKS!

Charleston, SC
Reply #14 - 09/13/14 at 18:29:05

another shot of the exhaust valves

photo_3_3.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5