stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
gas cap rattle
09/11/14 at 22:08:15

anyone have a gas cap rattle? i have taken mine apart and ensured it has the rubber gaskets and both screws are snug. as best i can gather the rattle is maybe the ball bearings inside the inaccessible part where the pressure relief valve lives. when it rattles i can reach down and put my finger on the center of the cap right on the key hole and its enoigh to apparently absorb the vibration and you hear no more rattle....until you let go.

just started doing this about a month ago...right after i completed the speedo rattle mod. guess its hell bent on rattling somewhere.

any suggested fixes?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: gas cap rattle
Reply #1 - 09/11/14 at 22:50:04

Grin Grin Grin...
Look elsewhere... Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 09/12/14 at 02:06:49

Possibly, there's someone who has got a stock cap for sale after they've Bobbed, Cafed, customised or whatever. Check the marketplace section on this site, and some of the aftermarket suppliers.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 09/12/14 at 06:22:47

jcstokes wrote on 09/12/14 at 02:06:49:
Possibly, there's someone who has got a stock cap for sale after they've Bobbed, Cafed, customised or whatever. Check the marketplace section on this site, and some of the aftermarket suppliers.

what i cant gather is why it does it, suddenly, and if it means something is wrong or just an s40 nuance? it vents and runs well and usually only rattles in lower gears and speeds so it isn't worth replacing. i just hoped there was a simple fix...more of a challenge for me than anything  Huh

serow, it's definitely the cap innards. i have reached, grabbed, held, groped, etc. everything in arms reach while at "vibration" speed and nowhere does it affect the rattle other than when touching the gas cap. I'm gonna beat it eventually and I'll sell the secret for one million dollars Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/12/14 at 07:30:10

Got an extra key?  Shove that in the cap  and go for a ride and see if that makes any difference.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/12/14 at 09:12:11

A couple of years back,.. I had a rattle in my headlight... it would stop when I put my fingers on the bezel ring..
I tore that thing apart 3 or 4 times trying to fix it,.. but it kept coming back...
It was then that I noticed I was resting my elbow on the speedo whenever I used my finger to stop the rattle...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/12/14 at 16:50:24

Is gas cap rattle worse than cat scratch fever?
I've got
Gas cap rattle
Deerdeerdetwang

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:33:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › gas cap rattle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.