Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Severe carbon buildup on one valve? (Read 192 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Severe carbon buildup on one valve?
Reply #15 - 07/23/15 at 19:25:33

There is also the possibility that the valve seal on that side is a bit leaky, and is allowing oil to run down the valve stem and onto the bottom of the valve.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/23/15 at 19:28:22

Correct, and the valve seat test will point the finger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/24/15 at 04:08:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/23/15 at 19:28:22:

We are not talking about the same "seal".

You are looking to check the seal of the valve seat and valve face with the liquid test.  I am suggesting that maybe the valve stem oil seal is leaky on one of the valves.

I am not sure how you are going to do your liquid test....the valve is not level in the head, so I don't know how you are going to get the liquid to cover all of the valve from the carb spigot side.  I would think that a "leak down" test using air would be far easier.....remove the spark plug and put air pressure in the cylinder through the spark plug hole, and see if any of the valves are leaking.  If you hear air in the muffler the exhaust valves are not sealed, air in the intake and those valves are not sealing, air in the oil breather and the rings are leaking.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #18 - 07/24/15 at 09:08:24

Dave wrote on 07/24/15 at 04:08:51:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/23/15 at 19:28:22:

We are not talking about the same "seal".

You are looking to check the seal of the valve seat and valve face with the liquid test.  I am suggesting that maybe the valve stem oil seal is leaky on one of the valves.

I am not sure how you are going to do your liquid test....the valve is not level in the head, so I don't know how you are going to get the liquid to cover all of the valve from the carb spigot side.  I would think that a "leak down" test using air would be far easier.....remove the spark plug and put air pressure in the cylinder through the spark plug hole, and see if any of the valves are leaking.  If you hear air in the muffler the exhaust valves are not sealed, air in the intake and those valves are not sealing, air in the oil breather and the rings are leaking.  

In order to conduct a proper leak down test:

1) ensure that the piston is at TDC. Put the bike in gear and have someone sit on the bike to ensure the engine stays at TDC during the test.

2) Don't just fill the cylinder with air. Use a leak-down tester (HF has 'em) that has two indicators, one for reference pressure and one for cylinder pressure. I usually use 70 pounds as the reference pressure.

3) A 10% differential is considered acceptable between the reference pressure and the cylinder pressure.

4) Conduct the test on a warm engine.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/24/15 at 17:10:01

Good Going Gary! Sounds like a Genuine mechanic talking. I admit, I'm good at just fixing stuff, but others sure can be better. I Like that answer.
Thanks for stepping in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 09:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Severe carbon buildup on one valve?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.