Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Severe carbon buildup on one valve? (Read 192 times)
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Severe carbon buildup on one valve?
09/11/14 at 08:09:54

While cleaning my carb I took a peek into the intake port, and noticed some concerning buildup of what looks like carbon on the top of the right valve, although the left valve looks clean.

Clean (left) intake valve

Dirty (right) intake valve

Does anyone know what this indicates? My best guess at the moment is the valve isn't closing all the way and has been building up carbon due to a bad seal with cylinder.

Thanks for any help or insight you guys can offer!

Additional context:

It's a 1995 LS650 that I bought this season as my first motorcycle. I don't think it was well maintained by the previous owners, and I've been working on getting it running right and having a lot of fun learning about motorcycle mechanics along the way! The power seems good, but there is a high-pitched noise with each stroke of the engine that as best as I can tell is maybe an air leak or perhaps a timing issue with the valves.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Severe carbon buildup on one valve?
Reply #1 - 09/11/14 at 08:27:08

Well, it could be one of several things.  The valve seal might be leaking a bit of oil, the valve clearance might be adjusted a bit too tight, or it could have a valve or seat face that is not sealing well.

I would check the valve adjustment and confirm they are in spec....then just ride the darn thing and not worry about it.  If the issue is a failing valve or seat it will give you plenty of notice that it is going...it will become hard to start and performance will decline due to the low compression.

You might use some Techron in the fuel to help clean the back of the valve.  Buy a bottle and mix it with the fuel in the recommended dose, and just keep adding it until you use the bottle up.

For your whistle....make sure the intake is well sealed and there is no air leak.  Also check for exhaust leaks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/11/14 at 08:32:15

Thanks Dave! I'm going to try doing a compression test on the engine this weekend as well as the things you suggested. We'll see how it goes Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/11/14 at 08:39:19

Great photos... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/11/14 at 08:54:47

Dave wrote on 09/11/14 at 08:27:08:
Well, it could be one of several things.  The valve seal might be leaking a bit of oil, the valve clearance might be adjusted a bit too tight, or it could have a valve or seat face that is not sealing well.

I would check the valve adjustment and confirm they are in spec....then just ride the darn thing and not worry about it.  

A too tight valve would cause the valve to overheat, which is very rare for an intake valve.  The hot valve would cause the carbon build up.

Any true backfires?

WWW   IP Logged
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/11/14 at 09:33:57

The only backfires I've noticed is if I quickly roll off the throttle and occasionally when I kill the engine it backfires.  Recently the bike has been harder to start (I've only put about 100 miles on it), which is why I was cleaning out the carb.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/11/14 at 09:37:41

True backfire - out the carb
or afterfire - out the tailpipe?

WWW   IP Logged
JonBiddle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/11/14 at 09:58:27

Ahh okay. I think they have all come out of the tailpipe, although I can't be 100% sure because I don't have anything to compare it to sound-wise.

edit: I should note that the bike has only about 6,000 miles on it, which to me seems pretty low for a 1995.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 07/13/15 at 14:20:11

FWIW, I'm seein the same exact thing - starboard intake valve dirty, port one clean...

While I personally would not describe the bulldup on my starboard valve as "severe," the OP's pictures look very similar to my situation, with my buildup perhaps being a bit worse than his.

Bike had 13.9K miles on it when first observed.  Burns no oil that I can tell, yet.

See my signature block for other specifics on the bike.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/13/15 at 14:54:53

Digger, as Dave and I concur, it's most likely a valve adjusted too tight and not sealing.  The valve has to sit on the seat long enough to cool.  The carbon looks just like the carbon that accumulates on top of the piston.
If you could, get an eyeball on a stick and look at the top of the piston to rule out oil from below (worn rings) vs. from above (worn guide).
if it's not oil, then it's gas additives.  ARCO used to be famous for the sulfur content and build up on sparky.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/13/15 at 15:23:22

I was rebuilding a Raptor 650, wasn't sure of the valves. Leveled the head upside down and put gas in it. Gas will go thru pretty quick. All four were leaking. I dunno how the head is designed up there, transmission fluid is pretty thin, need something that doesn't evaporate fast or risk blowing stuff up.
A garage might look like a great place to work on stuff, but if there's a gas water heater or clothes dryer or just some random spark, it can get ugly fast.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 07/23/15 at 10:46:27

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/15 at 14:54:53:
Digger, as Dave and I concur, it's most likely a valve adjusted too tight and not sealing.  The valve has to sit on the seat long enough to cool.  The carbon looks just like the carbon that accumulates on top of the piston.
If you could, get an eyeball on a stick and look at the top of the piston to rule out oil from below (worn rings) vs. from above (worn guide).
if it's not oil, then it's gas additives.  ARCO used to be famous for the sulfur content and build up on sparky.

Hi Ver,

Just an update on the intake valve clearances:

Both intake valves showed 0.003" of cleanrance, which is what I set them at almost 4000 miles ago.  (FYI, the book says the range of allowable clearances for the intake valves is 0.003 - 0.005 in).

Took a quick peek at the top of the piston, as seen through the spark plug hole.  Looked the same color as the spark plug insulator did - kind of a mid-level gray color.  No black carbon-y stuff in sight.

Will take another peek at the top of the piston after the head cover is removed and I can get a better angle...

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 07/23/15 at 10:49:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/13/15 at 15:23:22:
I was rebuilding a Raptor 650, wasn't sure of the valves. Leveled the head upside down and put gas in it. Gas will go thru pretty quick. All four were leaking. I dunno how the head is designed up there, transmission fluid is pretty thin, need something that doesn't evaporate fast or risk blowing stuff up.
A garage might look like a great place to work on stuff, but if there's a gas water heater or clothes dryer or just some random spark, it can get ugly fast.

Hi Jus,

I get your idea.  One could drizzle some type of fluid on top of the closed intake valves and let it set there for a while (while the head in still on the engine and the engine is in the bike).  Then, one could come back later and see if one of the valves looks like it's letting more fluid through than is its twin...

Any other ideas of what type of fluid to use?  Tranny fluid doesn't sound like too bad of an idea so far...

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/23/15 at 11:15:39

Well, I dunno,, seals inside, what they like,
I like the idea, but what to use?
Hunting a leak, want it thin.
Don't want evaporation to throw you off.
Measured amounts, each valve, difference equals leak,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/23/15 at 15:53:16

trans fluid is a bit thicker than gas of course, but not too thick for this i think, and it's a pretty decent solvent / lubricant, I'd say it's not a bad choice for what you have in mind

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 07:17:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Severe carbon buildup on one valve?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.