Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
squeek when releasing the clutch (Read 282 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
squeek when releasing the clutch
09/09/14 at 13:37:07

2012 S40 with 6,000 miles. On a four bike family ride yesterday, with me in the #1 or #2 position and my son always #4, he kept hearing a squeak coming from my bike. First he thought is was me beeping my horn then later, he seemed to think it was when I would hit a bump- maybe bottoming out. I wear a hearing aide, but when I ride I wear one ear plug instead, so I didn't really hear it.
So- today I took the bike thru its paces without an earplug, but no hearing aide either. What his was hearing is a squeaking that I've heard since I got the bike new, but I guess I've just gotten used to and tune it out.  

It sounds like "nyeeek" and is present when I release the clutch going up or down thru each gear. It is  slightly sustained "nyeeeee" after releasing the clutch on the downshifts. I've just thought it was intrinsic to this bike and have never owned another to compare.

Comments?

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: squeek when releasing the clutch
Reply #1 - 09/09/14 at 13:52:55

I'd work thru the usual culprits 1st (speedo, headlight, covers) just to be sure.

Then align the belt.

But I think the most likely (although extremely rare) throwout bearing.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/09/14 at 13:53:34

"We are the Nights that say Neeee!"

Do you get any squeeking if you bounce up and down on the seat?

Do you get the noise if you pull the clutch in and out when the engine is turned off, or if the engine is running and the transmission is in neutral?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 09/09/14 at 18:09:59

If you brought the bike new, do you have any factory warranty left?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #4 - 09/10/14 at 10:18:37

Ok- to answer some of your responses.

1. No factory warranty left.
2. No squeaking went bouncing up and down on seat.
3. No noise with engine off and pulling on clutch lever.
4. No noise running and in neutral.
5. No speedometer, headlight or covers loose/rattling.

So- I'll find the belt alignment info on the forum and do that check next ( after I finish my new motorcycle jack adaptor plate project) and report back. Thanks everyone.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/10/14 at 12:14:30

The thought on belt alignment is sometimes the belt will run to one side or the other when engaged vs. coasting or engine braking.

To keep the belt from squeaking, you have to adjust it to ride in the center.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/10/14 at 12:34:42

Prove it's the belt before you put time into it.  You can rub wax or soap on the edges,
If that stops or changes it,you might be onto something.might wanna get some on the teeth,too.
The front pulley can get a little loose and make noise,but I don't remember anyone who has ever reported a "nyeek" sound,but the cost and pain that problem causes would have me checking it out if I couldn't find what is doing it right away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 09/10/14 at 16:22:30

I bet belt.....
I have been down this road myself and have done all the snooping.
When playing with different belt remedies, I can get the noise to go awa, or change its tune.
My next "fix" will be the Botified Belt to help remove a few members from the band  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #8 - 09/14/14 at 20:55:23

OK- I just checked the belt. At the point I started rotating the tire, the belt was in the center of the rear pulley for about half a rotation. Then It drifted to the left just enough to be touching the left shoulder of the pulley for about a quarter of a turn then to the right until it touched that shoulder. That doesn't seem like much movement. Is that worth trying to correct?
Also I found that I can hear the squeak when I rotate/back-off on the throttle quickly without squeezing the clutch in all gears.                                                                                                                  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/14/14 at 22:21:29

If you got a belt that bouncing off both flanges, you got problems with that pulley and that could be your squeak.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/15/14 at 08:21:11

And,before you go spend time on it,you can Prove it Is the belt in a matter of minutes. Or,you can go spend time fighting the belt and hope that is the problem. I'm betting it is the problem,but before I knew,I would not want to get involved in it. Just wax it and see if that kills or changes the noise.
How much time have you spent trying to figure it out since I told you the quick,easy way to prove to yourself it is the belt? More than it would have taken to wax it and know for a fact,I guarantee you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 09/15/14 at 09:26:28

I wonder if the rear hub damper/bearing are worn out?  What else could allow his belt to wobble from one side of the hub to the other as the wheel turns?

Grab your rear pulley and try to wobble it.....it should move a little...but not a lot.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 09/15/14 at 10:38:40

Really,Dave? Why not Start with proving that the belt Is the source? I bet it is,but until he KNOWS he can't be sure what he is fighting.
Once he can definitively say that the noise is from the belt,then it's time to start looking at why the belt is making noise. Until I hear that the belt has been waxed,you guys can keep solving the problems that are not even isolated yet.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/16/14 at 04:13:53

rijopiatt wrote on 09/14/14 at 20:55:23:
OK- I just checked the belt. At the point I started rotating the tire, the belt was in the center of the rear pulley for about half a rotation. Then It drifted to the left just enough to be touching the left shoulder of the pulley for about a quarter of a turn then to the right until it touched that shoulder. That doesn't seem like much movement. Is that worth trying to correct?
Also I found that I can hear the squeak when I rotate/back-off on the throttle quickly without squeezing the clutch in all gears.                                                                                                                    

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/15/14 at 10:38:40:
Really,Dave? Why not Start with proving that the belt Is the source? I bet it is,but until he KNOWS he can't be sure what he is fighting.
Once he can definitively say that the noise is from the belt,then it's time to start looking at why the belt is making noise. Until I hear that the belt has been waxed,you guys can keep solving the problems that are not even isolated yet.

Trying to wobble the pulley by hand is a 10 second test.....nothing needs to be removed or taken apart, and it might just explain why his belt wobbled from one side of the rear pulley to the other when the tire is rotated.

Seemed like a reasonable use of 10 seconds to me. Undecided

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #14 - 09/16/14 at 08:23:37

I had this thing happen when my belt was a tad too loose. It wandered all over, and made noises both on downshift and engine braking..a loud "whee". Could be it just needs tightening up a wee bit.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:27:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › squeek when releasing the clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.