Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lowering the front end.  Options (Read 191 times)
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lowering the front end.  Options
09/05/14 at 11:51:45

So I've got the 2001 LS650 and its kinda just sitting there now that I ride my 1100 and I thought about setting it up for the old lady to learn on since shes been hounding me to ride.  I thought about this long and hard...I mean....2 riders means 2 bikes, 2 insurance policies, 2 sets of magazines coming in every month, but then again....I'd get MY bike back! Sometimes.... Cheesy

But there are some challenges

Challenge #1: Shes 5'2"
When she sits in the saddle everything fits her pretty good. I had to move the bars a little and re-angle the controls but it's a good fit. Except...Shes standing on the balls of her feet.

Now I figure dropping the bike about 2 inches across the board will put her feet flat on the ground and put enough bend in her knee to move the bike....I might look at 3" But I don't think any more than that.  So....on to lowering options.

1. Seat.  This is a viable option if I can find one. I'd like to make it a single seater anyway and that means new mounting and a new saddle.  But I think any seat I get (new anyway) is gonna be BIGGER not smaller. So....that's kinda out....product pending.

2. Suspension.  Shorter rear shocks. (easy enough) Maybe even just take a ring off the rear springs. The shocks in the rear are pretty new. And then shorten the forks.  I'm a little nervous about this because I don't have the equipment to machine a specific length off the spacers and I know they have to be pretty darn perfectly matched.

I know Progressive sells a drop in kit that looks promising. And they make em for the newer S40s and S50s but I'm not sure how compatible, if at all, they will be.

I came up with a crazy idea...Call it 3. Replace the 19x2.15 wheel in the front with an 18" or even 17" wheel (assuming I can transfer the speedo drive and the rotor, and then lower the rear shocks accordingly for the proper engine angle.  I figure I can keep the stock wheel and shocks if I decide to sell it.  Or just pick up a new set of shocks if I cut the ones that are on it.

Let the thoughts, ideas, criticism, and dirty name calling commence below.

IP Logged
scannerzer
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

northern ireland
Re: Lowering the front end.  Options
Reply #1 - 09/05/14 at 12:22:06

Hi Bryan

I'm only 5'2" also but manage ok with the savage maybe when she gains a bit of experiance this would not be as important but can you slide the fork legs up through the clamps to lower the front and maybe change the rear shoxs then it would be easy to reverse if needed

1990 ls 650 Met red,4speed
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 09/05/14 at 12:23:20

Your wife must have short legs...
My wife is 5' 2" and doesn't seem to have a problem with flatfooting at stop lights if she kinda slides forward.
However...recently she purchased some real nice "biker boots", LOL well, give her a chance to buy new shoes and she is all over it! Smiley
She bought some that have a 1" sole on them, so her feet touch really easy now, maybe that is something you could get your wife to do...I mean ask her if she wants some new shoes....   Wink

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #3 - 09/05/14 at 14:07:45

Scan: You can't slide the forks up on an S40. You can lower them with spacers but the tops stay in the same position.
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/05/14 at 14:13:50

How would it work if you reshaped the edges of the seat so she could get her ankles closer together? If she is narrow at the hips the seat would be like sitting on a diving board.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/05/14 at 14:15:59

I hope she doesn't read this...
Shes closer to 4'11" than 5'2" But I didn't say that.  I like the boots idea, we'll have to try that out. She can duck walk it but its kinda scary to watch  Undecided

Ya, the forks don't slide up, they are fixed under caps at the top. you have to pull the spacer and spring, and shave them off for the lower. Not complicated but you ahve to be able to do it accurately, You really need a lathe or a mill. I don't have access to either.  At least not yet. Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/05/14 at 15:29:11

Can't really recommend lowering, the pegs are a bit close to the ground already.  And the rear shock is just that a real shock with an 1.5" of travel.

WWW   IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/05/14 at 16:22:21

verslagen1 wrote on 09/05/14 at 15:29:11:
Can't really recommend lowering, the pegs are a bit close to the ground already.  And the rear shock is just that a real shock with an 1.5" of travel.

Ya, I've drug the pegs a time or two and not all that difficultly.  If anything this thread made me start to consider selling her, and getting something shorter....but what. LOL Huh

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/05/14 at 18:35:15

Blaahdeeblahhhblaahh

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/06/14 at 03:57:02

Go with a small solo seat.They're not as uncomfortable as they look.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #10 - 09/06/14 at 04:28:11

Demin,
Please pm me the info on where you got those z bars, I WANT!
did you have to extend the wires?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/06/14 at 22:24:47

Geeeze, I just WISH I could think of a Possible solution that wouldnt be too hard or too costly,, Looks like youre screwed, dude,, Youre just gonna hafta drop that front end..

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/09/14 at 06:48:48

What do you consider not too costly? Being comfortable when you ride is worth a lot to me so with that said what about just using the RYCA lowering kit? It took a bit of work but can be done in a few hours if you really take your time and at $80 its not too expensive.

http://shop.rycamotors.com/lowering_kit.html

IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/10/14 at 23:54:33

80$ isnt bad.

I was looking at something like this:
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1462/fork-lowering-kit

But didn't know what year MIGHT be the same size.

Window shopping for 250 Rebels at the moment.

IP Logged
jashmash21
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/21/14 at 17:21:36

Hey Demin, I like that solo seat set up.  Where did you get that solo seat? Also how did you mount it to the frame (custom bracket?)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:23:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lowering the front end.  Options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.