Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSI for new tires and balancing weights question. (Read 78 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
PSI for new tires and balancing weights question.
09/03/14 at 16:23:21

I just had Metzler tires put on. 880 rear and 888 front (front doesn't come in a 880), both in the stock size. The mechanic said to run both at 42psi with or without a passenger. The stock tires called for a 3psi adjustment with regards to rear weight change. Comments?
Also, the wheels were balanced using some (but not all) stick-on weights.
Looks kind of cheesy to me. Will they really stay on? I think the front had six on one side and six on the other side, directly across, all marked "5". The rear has the same configuration but with 8 and 8. Comments?

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
YoungSavage

everyone knows I'm
home by the KA-POW!

Monterey, California
Re: PSI for new tires and balancing weights questi
Reply #1 - 09/03/14 at 17:29:59

As to the stick on weights- they should stick on without a problem.  They've been using those things for a long time, you have to knock em off with a hammer usually. As to the psi it comes down to every rider and how they feel the bike responds. Personally the 42 psi sounds a bit high, especially for a very light bike. Go with stock pressure and then take it up or down 1 or 2 psi if you don't like the way it feels.

1988 Stock, mixture screw out 2 turns, seat lift mod, elevation= sea level, main jet=155 pilot jet=55
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/03/14 at 17:36:02

Yep....run what the manual or sticker says.....then adjust.  42 psi is too much.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/03/14 at 18:42:22

Quote:
Also, the wheels were balanced using some (but not all) stick-on weights.
Looks kind of cheesy to me. Will they really stay on? I think the front had six on one side and six on the other side, directly across, all marked "5". The rear has the same configuration but with 8 and 8. Comments?

I don't have any experience with those particular tires, but if the 5 and the 8 on the weights mean they are 5 and 8 gram weights, then you have a little over 2 oz on the front and just under 3 1/2 oz on the rear. That seems like an awful lot of weight for tires this size.

IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #4 - 09/03/14 at 18:59:19

Clarification- they're all marked "5". There are eight on the rear wheel on each side, across from each other for a total of 16 weights (of that type) at that location on the tire.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/03/14 at 19:37:50

I started putting a lot of weight on one tire, then said hell with it.  took the weights off and spun the tire around on the rim and it was balanced w/out the weights.

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/03/14 at 20:10:35

rijopiatt wrote on 09/03/14 at 18:59:19:
Clarification- they're all marked "5". There are eight on the rear wheel on each side, across from each other for a total of 16 weights (of that type) at that location on the tire.

Just under three ounces then, assuming that the 5 means they are 5 gram weights. If it was my bike I'd be suspicious of that much weight.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #7 - 09/03/14 at 20:55:04

Stock pressures solo riding Front 29 psi, rear 33 psi. Pillion or heavy load front 29 psi rear 36 psi

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 09/03/14 at 22:25:44

Air pressure is based on bike weight, not tire brand... go by the Suzuki recommendation.... around 32psi... couple pounds more if you are heavy or ride 2-up... less if you are light...
Number of plys and rubber thickness does make some variable... but weight load matters more...
If anything... I would think the added thickness of Metzler tires would want less air... (I suspect, Metzler just wants more air, to make less contact, to make higher mileage)...
...but, less contact, equals less traction...

Metzlers are famous for longevity... it ain't magic... they have more rubber...
That equals more weight...
.. a heavier tire will take more weights to balance...
That amount you have does sound excessive,... but they are heavy tires...

There is no magic in tires...  tires are rubber..... hard rubber lasts longer, but has less traction... thick rubber lasts longer, but weighs more...
Race tires, are thin, soft, and sticky... and don't last long...
You balance the performance with the mileage value...
...and always buy tires that will wear out in 3 to 5 years... after that, rubber dries out, and and becomes something akin to plastic...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Reply #9 - 09/04/14 at 03:16:30

I just copied this from the Metzler website:

Tire Pressure

Always inflate the tire to the correct pressure. Be sure to check cold inflation pressure frequently, i.e. once a week. Although most motorcyclists love to work on their bikes, many seldom remember to check their bikes tire pressures. Correct pressures are critical for safe handling. Over inflation or extreme tire pressure will impair your riding comfort and decrease the size of the contact patch of the tire with the road. Under inflation or too little air pressure will result in poor handling and the bike will be inclined to “wander”. Improper and insufficient tyre pressure will also cause rapid tire wear, an increase in fuel consumption, lower top speed, and provide less control. Remember to check the inflation pressure of your tires weekly.     You will find the correct pressure in the operating manual of the motorcycle. Use METZELER’s information only as reference.      Attention: When the recommended pressure has been changed for use off the public highway (race track, off-road), it must be reset to the correct value before riding on the street.

This certainly supports what all of you are saying. I'm going to drop the pressure.  This winter I may pull the wheels and start from ground zero and balance the tires myself when I have the money to get a balancing rig.  

Thanks everyone for the input.

Rick in Indiana

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 04:02:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PSI for new tires and balancing weights question.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.