Riding with Eyeglasses (Read 216 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Riding with Eyeglasses
Reply #15 - 09/05/14 at 14:08:38

Fishbulb wrote on 09/03/14 at 13:55:44:
Full face helmet as well. It is an HJC flip-up, I can leave my glasses on when I put it on.

However, I do often ride with the visor up, so it is often just the glasses in front of my eyes...

I have an HJC flip face and it made it possible to leave the glasses on while I was putting the helmet on or off. BUT,the padding touched my glasses and road vibrations shook the glasses and That made the World shake. I solved the problem by sewing the padding down to not touch the glasses anywhere. The ability to slightly crack the shield open makes it easy to keep the lenses from fogging up. I recommend the HJC flip face. They are cheap AND I smashed one real hard and walked away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/07/14 at 07:13:39

I have a Bell 3/4 helmet with retractable full-face visor, it fits well and was pretty reasonable at about $120. The visor flips up easily at stops and slow speeds to eliminate condensation, and has taken some pretty serious rock-hits at 60 mph without a scratch. I tried a full-face type, but I'm claustrophobic and couldn't handle the extra anxiety. I have heard of companies that make prescription ballistic (ANSI rated) eyewear for the military (Wiley-X?). You might try to GOOGLE that and see what happens. Good Luck!

IP Logged
brownie17

Riding the wave.

Indiana
Reply #17 - 09/30/14 at 19:07:31

I have a set of prescription sunglasses with a strap that cinches up so they stay on. Perfect for motorcycle riding or on the boat.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #18 - 10/02/14 at 00:41:06

Quote:
I'm pert near brand new to wearing prescription eyeglasses and was just curious as to my options when riding my bike.  I would hate for a rock to bust my only pair of good glasses, but at the same time, if I take them off and wear my riding glasses(not prescription), I'm worried that it could be dangerous.

Gowor wrote on 09/05/14 at 01:30:44:
If I'll get hit by a rock hard enough for it to get through the visor, and damage my glasses, I guess I'll have bigger problems than getting new glasses.

Odd how you were the only one to think about this...

If your only eye protection are your prescription glasses and a rock shoots and breaks the lens... you have a rock in your eye socket.
In other words, you have just lost your eye.

Wear a helmet, regardless of its design, with a full face visor !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #19 - 10/02/14 at 09:01:05

I have a windshield that puts most of the slipstream over my glasses. That said, I usually wear a 1/2 visor that covers my glasses, but not my nose or mouth. (I have to remind myself to keep my mouth shut) I have a FF helmet, but find it a real pita to take my glasses off, put the helmet on, then put my glasses back on again.
I would never ever ride without some kind of eye protection. You have seen the mess a bug can make on your visor or goggles- imagine if that had hit your eye.
I had a talk with my optometrist who also rides regarding the safety of modern eyeglasses. Most are not glass anymore but plastic and quite strong plastic to boot. He said if a stone were strong enough to shatter the lens in most glasses, it would go through a visor too. He said the best protection against stones is a properly sized windshield.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 01:45:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Riding with Eyeglasses

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.