Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Garmin gps handlebar mount  any recomendations? (Read 88 times)
doctorpc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Garmin gps handlebar mount  any recomendations?
08/31/14 at 12:51:01

I want to mount my garmin nouvi gpsto my handlebars Is anyone doing this and if so what are you using?  Also i want to power the gps with an adapter to the battery tender leads  Any opinions?

Thank you

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Garmin gps handlebar mount  any recomendations
Reply #1 - 08/31/14 at 17:22:09

I just got a Kurakyn mount at a local dealer.  It was about $ 55 and will work with either an Iphone or Garmin.  It is well made.  I will take a photo tomorrow.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #2 - 08/31/14 at 18:12:19

Verrry int ter resting,  Dave, I have a Garmin, Oregon 450, do you think that mount, 'thick' enough to hold it ? and is substantial enough?

I have looked at several, and they all look like cheep china junk, that would last about 5 minuets.  Resigned myself to the fact I would have to, 'McGiver', something.

Not worried about, connecting, as it is self contained.
But if I had to,  I have installed a waterproof, 'Power Port",  (aka cigarette lighter socket) in the tool box cover.

Don't need it most of the time, but it would be nice, once and a while to have one.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/01/14 at 05:29:12

Currently I have the mount on my ST1100 - the mount is just a bit too wide for the small space between the handlebar controls on the Cafe' bike or Ninjette.  For those two bikes I am going to buy a 16mm ball/stud mount for a pneumatic cylinder, and install it in the center bolt on the triple tree....then I can just move the holder from one bike to the other.  I have tried to find a place to buy just the ball or mount from Kuryakin....but so far I have have only been able to find the complete unit.

This is what I bought...however my kit came with the handlebar mount included.  I will go look and see if I can find the kit number for what I bought at Cycle Specialties in Cincinnati....Kuryackin # 1699:
http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-1699-Tech-Connect-Device-Mounting/dp/B008D72D5...

This is a photo of it on the Honda:

Here is the ball mount on the handlebar:

Here is the backside of the mount.  You just tighten the collar to secure the unit onto the ball or make angle adjustments.  If you loosen the collar you can pop the holder off the ball mount and take it with you or move it to another bike.

Here is the depth of the jaws, and a photo that shows one end has plastic tabs that prevent the device from falling out - they also prevent you from centering the device.  For my phone I mount it upright - for my GPS I mount is sideways and the GPS sticks out the side.  You could trim these tabs off if you wanted to center the device, as I can't imagine anything will slide in the soft rubber pads inside the mounts:

Iphone:

GARMIN Nuvi:

I looked around at a lot of mounts before I bought this one.  It is not the smallest mount - but seemed to be the most durable and adaptable.  It will even let you mount your Iphone in a way the camera will work to take photos or videos!

Dave

« Last Edit: 09/01/14 at 06:47:25 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 09/01/14 at 06:22:40

I don't know which Garmin you have. Check this wizard. They have many product specific mounts. I use one for my tomtom. It is the best thing going.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/RAMMotorcycleMountWizard/ta...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/01/14 at 06:44:28

Thanks doctorpc for starting this thread.  I have been trying to mount my Garmin and bought a cheap motorcycle mount from ebay with a zip up "waterproof" holder.  The extra layer of plastic over the screen creates too much glare and most of the time I can't see it.  The ball size is the same as the Garmin mount for a car but that holder doesn't seem secure enough for the wind and vibration of a bike.  The one Dave has certainly looks secure and so does that Ram EZRoll'r.  Those holders, with a little work, might fit onto the cheapo ebay hardware.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 09/01/14 at 07:54:01

Mnspring, there is a specific cradle available for yours. Just choose a mount you like.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/0820650770...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
polarpilot
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Canada
Reply #7 - 09/01/14 at 08:23:10

I use a RAM ball mount - works well - no vibration . I have multiple motorcycles so I just buy a Ram Ball mount for each one and move my GPS to my ride of the day.
My Garin has an amazing battery - it will last 13 or 14 hours so I have never bothered with hard wiring the bikes.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 09/01/14 at 13:29:59

I am like polar pilot, I have ram ball mounts on all the bikes and move my nuvi over to each.
Howerver, I like dave's new mount and i'll look into getting one so I can mount my phone.
I am thinking of getting a blue tooth capable radio and mounting it in my trunk on the back with the old "big" battery and a small solar cell to charge it.
My Harley tour pack already has speakers....and a fold out charger costs like 20bucks, I just need to pick a radio and run the wires.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #9 - 09/01/14 at 21:38:50

I have this one that I bought from Amazon for under $9. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FMUP0U

Fits the Garmin perfectly.

Hope it helps.

1999, Black, Raptor petcock, K&N air filter, otherwise stock. 5,800 miles.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:31:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Garmin gps handlebar mount  any recomendations?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.