Send Topic Print
stall and smoke! (Read 117 times)
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
stall and smoke!
08/31/14 at 10:35:04

2011 S40 1900 miles.  Just installed tachometer. Set idle to 1100rpm.  Idle screw set at 2 turns.  Petcock is bad, run on prime until Raptor comes in.  Bike runs well but two issues have me mildly concerned.  Not sure if it's something to really worry about, or just the way it behaves.

Anyway.  After setting Idle screw/speed, I blip the throttle to around 4500 rpm and release throttle. (this is in the garage btw not on the road)  Exhaust will smoke (white) and will fall below idle before stalling.  I know rapid decal will cause lean mixture.  So I tried richening up a little.  Doesn't matter how rich I make it will still do the same.  Under normal riding conditions bike will not do this so not sure if I should be worried or not.  Could it possibly be petcock even though Im running on prime? Thanks for the help.

2011 S40 Raptor petcock. idle screw 2 turns out
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: stall and smoke!
Reply #1 - 08/31/14 at 10:52:56

Do you have both the carb and petcock vacuum connections blocked off?...
If you do... then your petcock is fine... 'till you get a Raptor...

It may just be condensation in the pipe,.. (white smoke is usually water vapor)... (the exhaust heat will evaporate it)...
Blue/gray is oil...  black is fuel...
Adjusting the fuel mix will do nothing... unspent fuel would be very black smoke...
Wink...

Some fuel additives, like Sea Foam will cause white smoke, too...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #2 - 08/31/14 at 16:14:38

Cool. I'm less concerned with the smoke than the fact that it's stalling out when I rev the engine.  The vacuum line is still connected, but running it on prime.  It does need new petcock because bike stalls during normal operation in "on" position. So don't know if something else I should be troubleshooting.  Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 08/31/14 at 16:43:28

Quote:
Do you have both the carb and petcock vacuum connections blocked off?..

Quote:
The vacuum line is still connected...

Try taking the vacuum line off and plugging the ports on both the petcock and carb.  With the line on you could still have a vacuum leak.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/31/14 at 20:26:34

Rapping it up sitting still is a great way to blue the pipe.
If it doesn't Like being rapped up and dropping the carb shut,don't.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #5 - 09/02/14 at 06:47:16

I get that Justin, like the old joke, "It hurts when I bend my arm like this....Then don't bend it like that!"  I get it, I didn't know if it was a symptom of a problem.  Granted I've only owned two bikes before, but neither would die on themselves unless there was a problem.  

Yes the vaccuum line is still connected.  Didn't know a possible vac leak could still affect it if switched to prime.  Good to know.  I'll wait til Raptor comes in and see if that gets it.  Any suggestions on how to close vac line to the carb?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/02/14 at 06:54:28

I plugged mine using vacuum tube rubber plugs kit from auto store, put one then one on top of that one. Hasnt failed me in years.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 09/02/14 at 09:52:44

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to close vac line to the carb?

While you are waiting for the new raptor petcock, just cut the vac line a few inches from the carb and stick a small bolt or machine screw in the open end to plug it. Do the same thing at the petcock. Depending on what exactly is wrong with the petcock that end of the vac line could potentially drip fuel.

Once you get the raptor installed, anything that will plug the port on the carb will work. A 3/16" rubber vacuum plug from an auto parts store is probably the neatest/easiest. Or just leave the cut off line with the bolt/screw in it on there.

Back in the bad old days when cars were infested with vacuum lines running all over the place we used to plug them with golf tees. I've still got a handfull in my tool box Smiley

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #8 - 09/02/14 at 18:16:30

oldNslow wrote on 09/02/14 at 09:52:44:
Quote:
Any suggestions on how to close vac line to the carb?

While you are waiting for the new raptor petcock, just cut the vac line a few inches from the carb and stick a small bolt or machine screw in the open end to plug it. Do the same thing at the petcock. Depending on what exactly is wrong with the petcock that end of the vac line could potentially drip fuel.

Once you get the raptor installed, anything that will plug the port on the carb will work. A 3/16" rubber vacuum plug from an auto parts store is probably the neatest/easiest. Or just leave the cut off line with the bolt/screw in it on there.

There is a catch to this.  LOOK at the ends of your vacuum hose where it slides over the nipple.  If it is cracked and splitting there, trim away all of the bad stuff. Otherwise, your plug isn't really plugging.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
luckylouie82

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Richardson Texas
Reply #9 - 09/03/14 at 08:49:27

WOW, just....WOW! I didn't want to beleive that the Raptor would really make much of a difference on what was essentially a new bike, but did the swap last night and not only will it not shut off on decel, but bike is more responsive, idles smoother, even than running on PRIME.  I thought it was crazy when folks suggested the switch to Raptor on new bikes...now I'm a believer!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stall and smoke!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.