Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just how Big of a PIA is it (Read 293 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Just how Big of a PIA is it
Reply #15 - 09/12/14 at 17:50:50

The main jet really only controls the mixture from 3/4 to full throttle, and most likely the bluing is not coming from the main jet, as you spend very little time at those throttle settings.

If you have the stock air cleaner a #155 main jet is most likely too big.  For my stage 1 cam the perfect jetting was a #50 pilot, #150 main, and only 2 washers on the needle instead of the more common 3 washers.

To check your pilot jet size, warm the engine up and set the idle speed around 1,000, and adjust the idle mixture screw until you get the highest and smoothest idle speed.  If you have to go more than 2 turns out, then you need a larger pilot.  If you can screw the idle mixture all the way in and the bike still runs....the pilot is too big.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #16 - 09/12/14 at 18:25:25

Dave, I'm using a K+N drop in air filter and have the air mixture screw turned out 2 3/4 turns. I replaced the white spacer with three washers which was about 1/2 of the orignial's thickness. You're right about the bottom end of the rpm range still running lean. I just didn't feel like going through the hassels of pulling the carb but it looks like that's the only way to get a good bite on that pilot jet screw.  
 The 152.5 main which I had in the carb was just about right for the old setup which is why I've gone to the 155 for the new cam. I've opened up the exhaust port a goodly bit and tweeked the ignition timing so the engine isn't stock anymore. Gotta feed the need.
Thanks for the tips, any tricks on getting the carb off?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/12/14 at 21:18:30

My KandN drop in didn't seal well and I had to do a good bit of work inside the Air box to get it to seat and stop the Air just bypassing the filter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 09/14/14 at 10:24:52

Just got back from a 20 mile shake down ride. Bike really comes on above 4500 rpm, 50 mph in second gear with no problem. Only ran it it up hard once just to see what it could do. Snaps crackle and pops on decell which was expected, runs just fine at superslab speeds. The stage 1 cam made a big difference even with the carb needing work.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:32:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just how Big of a PIA is it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.