Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just how Big of a PIA is it (Read 293 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Just how Big of a PIA is it
08/30/14 at 16:47:33

Well it is is time to check the tensioner and while I have side cover off I'm thinking about swapping out the cam for a stage 1.

My question is just how much of a pia would the job be??  I already have the cam, it's been warming a spot on a shelf for a couple of years and has started to talk to me recently Smiley

Can the cam be swapped out with the engine in the frame?, I've heard yes with some frames, no with others.

I've a Clymers and a BIG hammer Cheesy , what else do I need beside regular hand tools.

Any and all tricks will be welcome.

thanks

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Just how Big of a PIA is it
Reply #1 - 08/30/14 at 22:26:53

Ed L. wrote on 08/30/14 at 16:47:33:
Well it is is time to check the tensioner and while I have side cover off I'm thinking about swapping out the cam for a stage 1.

My question is just how much of a pia would the job be??  I already have the cam, it's been warming a spot on a shelf for a couple of years and has started to talk to me recently Smiley

Can the cam be swapped out with the engine in the frame?, I've heard yes with some frames, no with others.

I've a Clymers and a BIG hammer Cheesy , what else do I need beside regular hand tools.

Any and all tricks will be welcome.

If you can get the head cover off, cam is about as hard.
loose the adjuster, maybe take the guide off.
the looser you get the chain, easier it gets.
remove the 2 bolts attaching the cam to gear, and slip it off the shoulder, then work the cam till you can pull it out.

WWW   IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 08/31/14 at 00:44:43

I've done the cam shaft with the motor still in the frame on my '86 if that helps  Undecided

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/31/14 at 20:30:25

I didn't pull the motor to do mine,BUT,,IF I was gonna do the cam I'd wanna do the chain. No,I WOULD do the chain.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 09/01/14 at 06:08:16

I already have a replacement chain, it's been keeping the cam company on the shelf and since I'm already in that side of the engine it will be swapped out also. Planning to install a Versy tensioner also.
 It just doesn't seem right to pull a working engine apart but my gut says it is time for a quick upgrade.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #5 - 09/02/14 at 20:06:38

Ed L. wrote on 09/01/14 at 06:08:16:
I already have a replacement chain, it's been keeping the cam company on the shelf and since I'm already in that side of the engine it will be swapped out also. Planning to install a Versy tensioner also.
 It just doesn't seem right to pull a working engine apart but my gut says it is time for a quick upgrade.  

Yeah, if you have the parts, motivation and time I'd do the chain, cam and  Versy tensioner all at once too. You'll get a LOT more mileage out of that combo. Makes sense to me. But I'm not sure if that's a good recommendation.  Grin

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 09/04/14 at 13:23:24

I opened up the right side cover today to check the tensioner. A quick measurement showed .64 inches which converts to 16.5 mm. Not at the service interval yet but too close not to do something about. Milage is at 11k for all those who track stats like this.
  Had to stop riding last year for some personal problems (fell off a ladder!!) and guess I'm glad I did park it.
 Next I'm getting ready to open up the top and see if the cam cover will slide out without dropping the engine. Already have the tank and seat off.
 No pictures yet, greasy hands and cameras just don't mix well.

IP Logged
BryanA
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/05/14 at 15:20:39

I found the hardest part about the whole process was puttin the darn cover back ON!  I dont know why, but that pin in the starter gear was a MUTHER!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 09/05/14 at 19:30:41

Had a good day in the shop, pulled the cam cover and swapped out the cam. Took a good 3 hours nonstop and a couple of cans of Pepsi.
Thanks to Oldfeller for the great thread in the tech section on how to do the work. The cover came off with the motor in the frame, no problem.

Couldn't get a Versy cam chain adjuster so broke out the torch and made a Slavy (no pin) which took up all the slack.

I'm not swapping the cam chain, just too much involved with pulling the clutch and the modified adjuster looks like it did the job.

Got everything buttoned up and set the valve lash a little loose at .005 just to get it started. Now that's a PIA job, hope I got it right. Still need to set the decomp lever, clutch linkage, exhaust, install the tank, spark plug and fill it with oil.

Planning to test fire it this weekend with some dino juice oil as a breakin and flush then going to Rotella 6 afterwards. Going to go easy for the cam break in (yeah right)

Didn't have any extra parts left over and have had no need to use the big hammer yet. Hope there aren't any oil leaks, really don't want to tear it all apart again. Wink

Might need to go up to a 155 main jet after breakin but will keep the 152.5 in the carb for now.

Good to get some grease under the fingernails again Smiley

« Last Edit: 09/08/14 at 07:28:05 by Ed L. »  

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 09/05/14 at 20:47:14

ohmmmmm Cool

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 09/06/14 at 15:46:23

Finished buttoning the bike up this afternoon and jumped it off a marine battery. It popped and tried to start on the second crank then wouldn't fire at all till I put some gas in the tank Cheesy.

After 4-5 more tries it came alive and smoothed out the idle. IT'S ALIVE AND SOUNDS GREAT!! Ended the day by installing a new Wally World battery.

The only oops was when the tank fell off the bench and clipped the edge of a tool box. Got a nice 2 inch dent in the front belly on the right side. Nothing a little bondo can't cover if I ever get around to it.

Next the startup oil gets dumped and fed to the chainsaw for bar lube and Rotella 6 will fill up the crankcase. Then a ride around the block and a quick back road wick to see what the cam can do.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/06/14 at 20:18:19

When you had the head cover off, how did the rockers look ?  Any noticeable wear ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/06/14 at 22:06:17

Yeahh,, that clutch pack thing is no picnic,, the book SAYS dont use an impact,, but I did,, made life a LOT easier.. Never Start a thread with a power tool.. never,, start stuff by Hand, the least tool between you and the nut or bolt, the better. I stuffed a belt, leather, in the gears, some use a penny,, 82 and older are copper, 83 and newer, zinc/w/ a copper wash..

Ohh,, I didnt Run the clutch all the way Up with the impact, I finished it by hand,, an impact just lets a guy catch up the slack. You can get electric ones.. I knew a professional mechanic ho had a 12 V impact.. He was a serious mechanic. I took him my car, it had a dead miss on one cylinder, he did the troubleshooting & was done fixing it in 8 hours.. It was missing because a cam lobe had gone flat,,and he found it, went & got the cam and had it in and his hands clean & tools put up in 8 hours.. Never saw anyone any better,, he went to his tool box exactly ONCE, he got put what he needed, nothing he didnt, and he did that cam swap.. I dont HAVE a 12 V impact, but if I EVER think I can justify one, I wont be shy to do it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 09/07/14 at 07:20:38

Lancer,
 The rockers and cam showed no wear at all, the lobes of the stock cam were smooth and had a nice polish on the wear surfaces and the same with the rocker arms. No nicks,grooves or ridges anywhere, it was kinda of a shame to pull a perfectly good cam but it was time to check the adjuster anyways . I have always used a 20-50 weight dino  oil in the engine since I got it. For assembly I used regular red grease as a prelube for the cam lobes and rockers and filled the well under the cam with oil per the instructions by OldFeller in the tech section.

Any specific break in instructions for the cam? I set the lash at .005 and slowly ran the RPMs up to 3000 and back down to a fast idle 4-5 times, shut it off and did the same two more times. Then I let it idle at 1300rpm for about one or two minutes, ran it back up to 3000rpm and then shut it down.

I'm dumping the dino juice oil used for startup and switching over to Rotella T, didn't buy the Rotella 6, today and plan to get it on the road in the next few days once it stops raining.

JOG, I've learned my lesson using power tools on screws going into aluminum, start everything by hand or finger and spin them in using a T drive on the socket. Helps keep me in the zone.

So far so good but I don't want to screw it up now it is together.  

Update; changed the oil this morning and ran the bike for 5 minutes at idle and up and down the rpm range. I'm getting a little noise out of the rockers probably because they are set loose and some good pops out of the exhaust on fast shutdown.  Looks like the engine is running a little lean, the pipe is getting blue at the head already. No oil leaks so far.

Gotta give the dog a bath. Cheesy

« Last Edit: 09/08/14 at 07:29:55 by Ed L. »  

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #14 - 09/12/14 at 17:23:04

So far so good except for an oil leak, pinched the side cover gasket, didn't use any gasket sealer, and had to open it back up. Think I've started a love affair with Permatex Ultra Black, the stuff rocks for reusing a ripped gasket.

Took a picture of my home made Slavy cam chain tensioner,

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2695764/

Looks like it will last for a while.

Rejetted the carb up to a 155 main but couldn't get the pilot jet out without pulling the carb so kept the stock one in for now. Lots of corrosion on all the brass in the carb thanks to the ethanol gas we have to burn. Going to start using SeaFoam or one of the other gas treatments like Bean-O from now on Wink.

The exhaust header turned blue during breakin in about 10 minutes with the 152.5 main in the carb. The 155 main should help keep the blueing down but more carb tuning is needed.

The stage 1 cam seems to want a lot more fuel than what I'm feeding it. Going to leave it alone for now till the cam gets broken in.

Time to ride the dog if it stops raining every day. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:25:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just how Big of a PIA is it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.