Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Piston Ring seating and break in (Read 50 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Piston Ring seating and break in
08/30/14 at 06:00:19

OK I have looked and not found a consensus or comparison of methods for ring seating and breaking methods or periods...my intent is to get someone to move this to the tech section.

What is or was your method of ring setting and break in:

1. Over all method...

2. Oil types used (include assembly life and additives)

3. How many miles per stage of break in.

4. Riding style per stage, including speeds, engine breaking, off the line and throttle %.

5. Oil change frequency...filter?

6. What was the reason for the need of new rigs, piston bore and make.

7. Did it work? Be honest, if you screwed up and the rings are junk or you blew it to pieces set the pride aside and share your mistakes...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Piston Ring seating and break in
Reply #1 - 09/01/14 at 05:47:26

Naaaah....I am not going to write a thesis based on personal opinion.

However, I have done a lot of piston, ring and cylinder projects over the years.  Mostly because I buy used stuff that is mostly worn out by the time I get it.

Put Rotella T in the bike, add some ZDDP if you want.  For the first ride go around the block a time or two and avoid getting the bike really warm.  When the bike cools down ride the bike as long as you want and avoid high rpm or steady speeds for long periods of time.  I probably would not go over 60 mph  or use full throttle for the first tank.  After that.....just ride it.  I would probably dump the oil at 400 and 1,000 miles.....just because oil is only $ 6.00 an oil change if you are using Rotella T....and there is a lot of ring and cylinder wall action taking place while the rings seat.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Piston Ring seating and break in
Reply #2 - 09/01/14 at 07:00:28

What Dave said, I agree 100% on that one.  Just be cautious.  I have seized up an engine thinking I had everything well worn in and went for a modest road trip.  I ran it too long and pulled hard up a few grades.  How many miles to break in new rings and pistons probably varies with the fit, temperature, loading, etc.  So be careful not to let the engine get too hot for several hundred miles.

Manufacturers can list specific break in instructions because they know how "tight" they build the engines and have the advantage of trial and error.  With rework jobs, each one is different.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:26:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Piston Ring seating and break in

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.