Send Topic Print
Rear Wheel Removal? (Read 178 times)
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear Wheel Removal?
08/27/14 at 06:10:57

So now that my S40 is finally running happily, I decided to take my wife for a short ride last night.  Which ended 10 miles down the road with a rear flat tire.  Apparently I found a nail in the road as it's still sticking in my rear tire.  Sad

With that said, how hard is it to remove the rear wheel.  Is there any major things I need to be aware of before I dive into this?  Any issues/parts to watch out for?  Thanks!

Aaron

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rear Wheel Removal?
Reply #1 - 08/27/14 at 06:33:32

Well, after you have done it a time or two it is a 10 minute job.  The first time it will take you a bit to figure out how to lift the bike up and what parts to remove.  Be sure do keep track of which axle spacer goes where, and there is a spacer that goes on the backside of the pulley sprocket that can fall out when you place the pulley sprocket on the ground.....and you find that spacer on the ground after everything is back together, and that really is frustrating!

Jack the bike up, take off the brake cable nut and brake cable, take off the nut, take the axle out....may require a bit of tapping with a drift to get it started, with the axle out drop out the spacer on the brake side to get clearance and slide the wheel assembly forward and shove the belt off the left side of the pulley....roll the wheel out.  Assembly is a bit of a juggling act to keep everything lined up and in the right place.  A helper is a big benefit for the first time or two when you get to this step.

Good Luck

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/27/14 at 07:13:43

Yeah,what he said And the higher the tire is off the ground the higher you're going to get to hold it while you line stuff up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/27/14 at 10:15:01

Thanks for the info guys.  It took me about 15min to have the wheel off.  With just normal hand tools and a normal low profile car jack it was a bit awkward doing this myself.  All set and done it took me about 2 hours from start to finish.  Half the time was spent trying to pry the tire off, install tube, and re install the tire over the rim lip.  Different heights on the jack to allow pressure changes on rear wheel and I was able to line things up and pound the axle through eventually.

Aaron

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 08/27/14 at 12:24:13

nice work!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/28/14 at 02:41:37

I use a cement block to set my bike on and that gives the wheel room to drop. When you  get ready to put it back on it's a real bitc* to hold everything together and raise the wheel so you can slide the axle thru. What I have been doing since I never seem to have a helper, is I take a big city phone book and open it in half and roll the wheel onto it until I have the proper height to slide the axle thru. makes it a pretty simple one man job. I'm sure you have a manual and it shows where the three spacers go. By the way, when your all done, expect a little play in the belt pulley. It is to be expected.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/28/14 at 05:53:07

You spent 2 hours, did the rear wheel for the first time AND changed the tire & tube by HAND? Heck,, You just tryin to make me feel bad now,,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/28/14 at 11:53:35

Dont you have to get the wheel balanced if you change the tire?

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #8 - 08/28/14 at 12:27:00

I never did.  I have a bubble balancer, but it doesn't fit the mc wheel.  I line the valve stem up with the dot on the tire - seems to work ok.

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #9 - 08/28/14 at 12:45:01

Cool, maybe I'll try that next time and save myself some dough. Perhaps it matters more for the front wheel.

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/07/14 at 17:20:23

When you mount the rear tire, can it be mounted without relieving the belt tension (using the rear wheel adjusters)?  Or is it better to give the belt some slack, then mount the tire, then re-tighten the belt to specs?   (I'm familiar with chain drives, but not belt drives.)     Thanks.

Ron G

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/07/14 at 20:16:44

Hopefully you're using our method of belt tension.
if so, pretty easy to remove the axle w/out changing the tension.
the wheel rolls forward then and it's easy to slip off.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 09/08/14 at 03:19:24

runwyrlph wrote on 08/28/14 at 12:27:00:
I never did.  I have a bubble balancer, but it doesn't fit the mc wheel.  I line the valve stem up with the dot on the tire - seems to work ok.

Some times that works....sometimes it doesn't.  The paint dot is the lightest point of the tire, and on most wheel rims the valve stem ends up being the heaviest spot...and the idea is they are supposed to be mounted next to each other and they might cancel each other out.  That doesn't always happen.

The Pirelli Sport Demons I had on the Cafe bike rode great without any weights.  I just mounted some Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires and when I rode it I could feel the back tire bouncing up and down at 50 mph.  The front tire took about 1/2 oz. to balance and the rear took 1 oz.  It now rides much smoother.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/09/14 at 11:40:16

Thanks Verslagen.  Haven't changed a tire yet, but it's good to know.
Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 07:32:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Wheel Removal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.