Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Checking water level in battery (Read 72 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Checking water level in battery
08/25/14 at 19:55:21

Ok so I hate to admit, yet I will.  Embarrassed
I let my battery run out of water
again. I got off of work Sunday a.m.
and no start.
Crap as it had ran just great day before
as well as evening before starting right up
and never gave any indication that it was low
or even so close to being out of water.

So a couple nice guys offered to push and we
got her going. I got home fine and thought I
was going to have to replace the battery.

Hubby refilled and charged battery and she
purrs just fine. Smiley

So my question is. How often should the water
level be checked? This is the 2nd time in a year
if my memory serves me correctly that this has
happened.
Granted we have had an unusual warmer summer
than usual, I have been riding her a lot as well.
I guess I am going to have to put that in my memo
log to check at least 2 to 3 times per year.
Lucky for now I didn't have to put out the $82.00
for a new battery..  Smiley
Still running on stock 09 battery.. Hugs Kim & Genie

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Checking water level in battery
Reply #1 - 08/25/14 at 20:44:27

The owner's manual recommends inspecting the battery annually.  I've heard people recommend checking it every 6 months to be sure.  I switched to an absorbed glass mat style battery, so no liquid bothers for me.   Cool

Remember, it's not just water in there; it's electrolyte.  Did your husband refill it with distilled water or tap water?  Since this has happened a few times and your battery has some age on it, I'd recommend checking the specific gravity with a hydrometer.  That will give you an idea of how well the battery is doing.  I wouldn't be surprised if a new one is on the horizon.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/26/14 at 04:48:26

Well, I am not looking for trouble - but if your battery gets low that often I would think the battery is being overcharged, or it is too hot where you live, or something.  However....if adding distilled water every couple of months keeps you riding.....it works for me.  And it is proper to add distilled water.....electrolyte is only added for the initial filling to activate the battery.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/water_loss_acid_stratification_and...

If you are using water that often - I am not sure a maintenance free battery would be a good thing.....as they may not hold up as well to whatever is causing your battery to dry up so quickly.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/26/14 at 07:14:19

Dave wrote on 08/26/14 at 04:48:26:
Well, I am not looking for trouble - but if your battery gets low that often I would think the battery is being overcharged, or it is too hot where you live, or something.  However....if adding distilled water every couple of months keeps you riding.....it works for me.  And it is proper to add distilled water.....electrolyte is only added for the initial filling to activate the battery.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/water_loss_acid_stratification_and...

If you are using water that often - I am not sure a maintenance free battery would be a good thing.....as they may not hold up as well to whatever is causing your battery to dry up so quickly.

Dave

Hmmm Boy,, that right there is something to consider. Might wanna put a volt meter on that thing to See if it's overcharging the battery. I don't know exactly what the battery voltage should get to when the regulator puts a halt to the charging,But, if the battery is running low on water regularly,you might want to see if you can find out why.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fishbulb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/26/14 at 07:27:53

Ditch it for a sealed battery. If it has run dry a time or two it may not be up-to-snuff, and let's be honest, it is a PITA to pull it out of there.

I picked up my '96 last year and never even thought about the fact it was a wet battery. Float charged her over the winter and sure enough was dry when I pulled it out in the spring. Swapped a sealed and have not looked back...

Of course, the comments about overcharging are good as well!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/26/14 at 09:17:39

Fishbulb wrote on 08/26/14 at 07:27:53:
Ditch it for a sealed battery.
Of course, the comments about overcharging are good as well!

I almost suggested that....but I did read where sealed batteries can still have the fluid cooked out of them if there is an issue with overcharging.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/26/14 at 10:10:21

We know that they are vented,yes,sealed in that you can't add water,but if not vented,they would change shape with temperature changes. And,even glass mat needs juice,and juice can evaporate if it's overcharging all the time.Before I dropped the$for a new battery,I'd sure want to know it was gonna last. Your battery may simply not be accepting sufficient charge to get the regulator to stop pumping into it.. I d have it tested.. The regulator may be fine..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/26/14 at 11:05:37

If you have a multimeter you can check the regulaor yourself...
Just set the meter to 20v dc and connect the red+ test wire to the positive battery terminal,... connect the black- test wire to negaitve or any engine ground...
Voltage with the engine running should range from roughly 12.4v to 15.2v over the entire rev range... if it's getting over 15.2v the regulator is dying... over 15.5v or so, and you should replace it... it will start to hurt your battery...
(Charging volts will read higher on a weak battery than on a fully charged one)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 00:02:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Checking water level in battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.