Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drive belt running on front sprocket guides (Read 117 times)
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Drive belt running on front sprocket guides
08/25/14 at 09:57:19

I have been having issues with my drive belt rubbing on the left side of my front drive belt. I have dumped a ton of belt dressing because no matter what I did I couldn't get it to stop. It seems to really start squeaking when I am above 20 mph and coasting. I think that I may be missing a washer or something on the rear that is causing the belt to be miss aligned. If anyone could point me to the correct placement of the rear washers I would greatly appreciate it. Or has any information on how to stop the darn squeaking.  Thank you for any help.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Drive belt running on front sprocket guides
Reply #1 - 08/25/14 at 10:27:17

I hope you can open this link:
http://www.hondaofflorence.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=432125&catego...

If not, just go to any online Suzuki Parts seller and look up the "Parts Finder" and go to the transmission page.

There should be a collar on the shaft, the pulley, a lock washer, and the nut.

Have you checked the alignment marks for the axle on the swing arm to see if the axle is in alignment?  Does the belt run in the center of the rear pulley?  Have you tried moving the axle adjustments a little bit to see if you can get the belt to move to the other side? (Loosen the adjuster on the side you want the belt to move to).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/26/14 at 08:08:30

OK i followed your instructions for tightening on the swing arms. I can now get the belt to ride in the center of the rear sprocket.  The front however still rubs on the left side of the front... very frustrating. I have never disassembled the front axel so I dont think there is something that I am missing. The previous owner may have however... Do you believe it is worth me changing the belt?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/26/14 at 08:13:28

A pricey new belt will likely run down the same path...

Unless the pulley is chewing up the belt,..I just wouldn't worry about it...
Those edge guides on the pulleys are there for a reason... it's natural for the belt to wander in between them...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/26/14 at 08:15:25

The squeaking is a little outrageous. Every time I drive about 20 mph everyone walking on the street stops and looks at my bike because the squeaking is so loud. i saw on another forum something about grinding on the belt to put it at an angle? Do you guys recommend anything of that nature?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/26/14 at 08:44:36

Here... you can lube your wiggles with this...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1408852428

WWW   IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/26/14 at 08:50:57

The squealing of the belt can be embarrassing.  The side of the belt that was running hard against the guide might be polished or glazed.  Some people have eliminated the squeaking by sanding the edge of the belt with coarse sandpaper.

Also, you might want to download the Companion CD from the tech section.  It is a series of really good pictures of various parts of the bike disassembled and doesn't take long to download.  

One series shows the rear axle and the order of the spacers.  I am not certain but it might be possible to switch the brake spacer with the pulley spacer.  The PO might have incorrectly assembled the axle after changing a tire.  Good luck!

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/26/14 at 09:00:57

I did end up beveling mine...(with an angle grinder  Grin)...
(Drastic tool for a subtle job, but it did do the job... fast)... Huh...

...seriously,.. it don't take much...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wiggles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/01/14 at 14:26:23

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I notice one thing today that might be of interest to yall. The belt does NOT squeak when the motorcycle has been sitting out all day in the sun and heat. It seems to squeak much more when I first start it in the morning and its still cold. Could this mean something besides rubbing? Or maybe the rubber contracts when hot I dunno haha.

IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #9 - 09/01/14 at 20:15:09

I had the same issue thinking it was because i got the blue collar bobbers rear axle installed. it isn't super squeaky, but does occasionally make a sound. I'm gonna try using a thinner washer in the rear and i also need to adjust my spokes.

IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/03/14 at 05:37:22

Recently acquired a squeak somewhere in the front belt pulley assembly as well. If I take the belt in my hand and pull down on it, it squeaks while off as well. So maybe some of this dressing action is needed!

Very timely post.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:34:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive belt running on front sprocket guides

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.