Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starting Characteristics?? (Read 52 times)
humblegeo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starting Characteristics??
08/24/14 at 17:47:28

Is it normal to have to use choke full on to start the bike first time of the day and then idle on choke several minutes or more before it will run at all with choke off? Also is it normal to have backfiring when shifting gears and or just letting off on the throttle? This bike has a fishtail torpedo muffler with baffle. I read somewhere that an easy mode could be done to the carburetor throttle slide needle by removing the white spacer or removing half of it. Will this easy mode clear up most of the backfiring issue? Does this cause it to run leaner or richer at minimum throttle position?

Appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Starting Characteristics??
Reply #1 - 08/24/14 at 18:34:31

The mod will cause it to be richer through the midrange throttle settings.  It won't help idle or top end.  It probably won't do anything about pops or backfiring.

Some bikes take longer to warm up than others.  Having to have full choke when it's nice and warm/hot outside is a little unusual.  It might make me think it's a little lean.

Wait for some of the more experienced folks out here to give you definitive help about the choke.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/24/14 at 18:38:47

Quote:
Is it normal to have to use choke full on to start the bike first time of the day and then idle on choke several minutes or more before it will run at all with choke off?
 Yes, when my bike was totally stock that was the usual routine.  Since then I have done some very simple mods and it will start without the "choke" on most days.

The backfiring when shifting isn't normal on a totally stock bike.  With your muffler some carb work will probably help reduce the backfiring and make the bike a little more responsive.  I think the white spacer mod is worth doing as well as removing the brass plug so you can adjust the pilot screw.  Two cheap and easy mods to provide a richer mixture.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Silverhippi

BigSingle for
Life!!!

Valdosta, Ga
Reply #3 - 08/24/14 at 19:49:12

Just a thought from a new guy...

Check that the idle is not set too low.

I'm running a straight pipe with re-jetted carb and K&N filter in the box. Bike fires right up with half choke first thing in the morning and I let it idle for about 30 seconds before turning off the choke.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 13:36:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starting Characteristics??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.