Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sdpfrek's RYCA Bobber build (Read 940 times)
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Sdpfrek's RYCA Bobber build
Reply #15 - 09/02/14 at 19:26:06

Yah I figured I would wash the wheels once I was done so I don't mess up the white walls during the mock up.

Day 9

I got the seat brackets figured out. They might not be pretty but they work and when the paint dries you won't be able to see them.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/06/14 at 23:13:02

Day 10

I started out the day thinking I was going to tackle the wiring. I wanted to cut out all the extra stuff that I was taking off the bike to just clean it up a bit. I have a Clymer manual and was looking at the wiring details that are in there. There are wiring schematics for 1986-2003, 2004, 2005-present. My bike is a 2006 so I figured it should match the 2005-present but it is actually closer to the 1986-2003. I am not sure what that is all about. Either way I didn't get very far and decided to get my chain and tensioner put on instead. I also did not like the open frame tubes from where I cut the frame so I got some nylon caps and sealed them up.

Started with this

stopped at this

Then got this done

IP Logged
scrapdo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/09/14 at 17:04:51

I'm about 75% done with my Ryca Bobber buil too. I'll have to post about my issues!
Nice work so far

IP Logged
scrapdo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/09/14 at 17:05:31

spdfrek wrote on 08/31/14 at 21:09:49:
Day 7

Ok, now I am starting to make some real progress. It is starting to look like a bike again. I lowered the forks and got them back on. Getting that top cap back on was seriously energy draining but I got them on. I got the front wheel and brake caliper back on too. Then I drilled out my new pegs and put those on. I got the new hardtail mounted. That took a bit too since it is super tight. I put the back wheel on just to see what it looks like. I also put the tank/seat bracket on the backbone but didn't secure it. It was a hot day and I was pooped. Oh yah, I also got that stupid coil mounted. The kit said to just bolt it on but it didn't go that well. To begin the holes on the frame were way too close to each other compared to the holes n the coil. Plus drilling out the coil was a pain since you are drilling through stacked sheet metal and not something solid. Like an idiot I stripped the rear mounting point and thought I could just put a nut and a threw bolt on instead. I did get it to go on but it is so tight I had to use needle nose vice grips to even hold the nut inplace while I tightened the bolt. But it is on.

http://spdfrek.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2006-Suzuki-S40/i-Tt3Kfqd/0/M/IMG_0675...

The mounting points on mine were fine but drilling the coil went VERY bad. The metal is mangled quite a bit on several layers. Does anyone know if this causes a problem starting? I have the wiring finished and just wanted to text the spark and I'm not getting one. I turn the key and hear a click but when I try the starter, nothing!

I thought I might have ruined the coil while drilling??? Any suggestions??

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/12/14 at 13:59:09

scrapdo wrote on 09/09/14 at 17:05:31:
The mounting points on mine were fine but drilling the coil went VERY bad. The metal is mangled quite a bit on several layers. Does anyone know if this causes a problem starting? I have the wiring finished and just wanted to text the spark and I'm not getting one. I turn the key and hear a click but when I try the starter, nothing!

I thought I might have ruined the coil while drilling??? Any suggestions??

I messed up the last layer on the coil when I was drilling mine out too but found if you give it more speed it doesn't catch and tear it up as bad. As far as your not starting issue did you bypass the clutch switch?

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/12/14 at 14:02:02

Day 11

I looked at the wiring again and did a better job of tagging what I am keeping and what I am not. The more I look at it I think I am going to just cut out what I need and rewire everything to make it easier.

I didn't take any pictures since nothing really changed other than more masking tape on the rats nest of wire.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 09/12/14 at 14:13:49

Day 12

I decided to change my handlebar setup and mocked it up with 2.5" spacers. I am also going to get rid of all the factory controls on the bars except the brake and clutch.

I also got my new tail light and brake pads in so put the pads in and made an extension to be able to use this light with my license plate bracket.

This,

will go on here to mount the light.

I also started looking at making a bracket for the left side to mount my speedometer and starter button. I made the cardboard template and realized the gauge needs to be about 5" forward or will be right where my leg needs to be.  Roll Eyes

This is real ruff, just to get an idea of where things will fit but I didn't want to keep it as big as I originally made it. In the end it doesn't matter since I will be redoing it again, probably tonight. Even with it moved forward I think the stock cable will reach it so that is good. I also am thinking I want to sink the gauge into the bracket so it doesn't just sit onto of it. I need to look at how to get that to work.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 09/12/14 at 17:46:04

And I felt that taking my eyes off the road long enough to glance down at the tank to read my speedo was dangerous....I can't imagine having to look down at the left side of the engine!

I suppose you don't really have to look at the speedo all that often.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/12/14 at 22:18:54

Dave wrote on 09/12/14 at 17:46:04:
And I felt that taking my eyes off the road long enough to glance down at the tank to read my speedo was dangerous....I can't imagine having to look down at the left side of the engine!

I suppose you don't really have to look at the speedo all that often.

The new template has it set more forward. It is closer inline with where the stock gauge used to be but lower to the ground. You can easily glance down and see it plus its not like you watch it. It is more of a "am I going too fast for this road" check.

Think of it like this, while driving a car have you ever looked at your radio to check the time? Yes you take your eyes off the road but its not like you are trying to read the paper on your lap while driving to work.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 09/12/14 at 22:28:12

Day 13

I didn't get much done tonight because it was just too cold. I got the tail light on to see what it looks like and made a template for the new bracket for the speedometer. I want to get it cut out tomorrow and see how it really fits.

The light looks crooked here. I guess I better look at that tomorrow too.

IP Logged
NickGann

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 09/13/14 at 19:22:52

That is a smooth ass bike man

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 09/14/14 at 18:36:14

NickGann wrote on 09/13/14 at 19:22:52:
That is a smooth ass bike man

Thank you.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 09/14/14 at 18:51:48

Day 14

I made the speedometer bracket. This thing took a lot longer than I thought it would but I put it on the bike and off about 5000 times. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. It is stable and gives me room around my leg plus the stock cable fits too. I did make a sleeve to go over the front bolt because I didn't want to see the threads. I also made a support leg like the stock engine cover and even used the rubber foot. I didn't paint it yet because I still need to drill and mount the starter button and I am thinking I can put a small neutral indicator light on it too.

I did take a few more pictures with this since its more of a custom piece.

If anyone is wondering the front sleeve is just some brass tubing I had around the garage and the smaller "support" leg is some automotive brake line that I cut.

IP Logged
spdfrek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 11/23/14 at 15:26:09

I haven't been updating this and really haven't been spending very much time working on the bike. Life got in the way so I only got a few min here and there to try to do something but I am still moving forward.

Days 15-18

I spent a few days going back and forth on the wire. I have everything done except for the positive to the battery because I am looking for something like the factory connection that has those small wings on the sides instead of just a plain ring terminal. I have the wire done but I already want to redo it because I don't like how I ran them.

I also got my new spacers made and installed.

I also made a battery tie down.

The cut out in the center is for the built in tester.

IP Logged
TC
YaBB Newbies

All you gotta do is
jump.

Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply #29 - 11/24/14 at 13:04:12

Great thread man! So far it's my favorite bobber build to date. And my eyes don't hurt from trying to decipher your posts.  Thanks for that Smiley

2006 S40/Black/Biltwell Keystones/Reversed Drag Risers/Gaiters/Raptor/Dyna/Belt guard Delete/Engine Guard Delete/Bates Tail Light/Side Mount Vertical License
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 03:12:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sdpfrek's RYCA Bobber build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.