Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
stripping engine paint (Read 115 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

stripping engine paint
08/19/14 at 04:20:42

I need to strip the paint off of my engine. Currently I have the jug and head off for boring and valve work, so no issues there, then I have the sides off for brushing, so that leaves the case...I am not pulling the tranny cover. So what I need to accomplish is stripping the paint from the case without penetrating my center gasket...odviously the engine is not on the bike...

Any ideas, will MKE substitute dissolve the case gasket?

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: stripping engine paint
Reply #1 - 08/19/14 at 05:19:00

Stripping the paint off the center case will be a huge job.  The paint/powder coat is very durable and will not come off easy.  The aluminum underneath is not very durable and will have to have some kind of a coating or it will oxidize very quickly.  I have polished my outer cases, wheel hubs and other aluminum parts - and they need to be polished regularly to keep them looking good.  On my next set of wheel hubs I am going probably going to clear coat the center of the hubs.....as it is difficult to get in there and keep it polished.

For the center seam....if you are painting again I would probably not use any stripper there.  I would suggest you strip up near the seam, and then sand the existing paint off the seam.  Any kind of stripper or solvent could compromise the sealant.  And if you are painting...then maybe you don't need to strip as the existing paint could work as a good base if you clean, sand or Scotch Bright the paint to remove the gloss, and then clean really well before you paint (careful with the solvent on the center seam).  

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/19/14 at 06:09:28

OK. So. I stripped the paint off of the covers, someone had painted them,  do ya think aluminum wheel clear coat would be a good idea, I believe its heat resistance to 600 degrees. I'll just sratch up and paint the case with engine block paint.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/19/14 at 08:41:34

My engine side cases are not coated with anything - and I like it that way.  But I could not imagine trying to do that to the center case.

About once a month I have to polish them, and I am OK with that.  I ride in the dry most of the time, I ride in the rain when I get caught in it, the bike is stored inside and kept dry.  My dog is a drooler and shoock her head and put some spit on the polished cases....and it etched the shiny aluminum! Shocked

You can clear coat the brushed or polished alumium - Eastwood makes some products, wheel coat might work if it can take 300+/- degrees, clear engine enamel might work, clear powder coat may work as well.  The factory clear coat is not all that durable as a lot of us have found out.

Dave

IMG_0402_001.JPG

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/19/14 at 08:57:47

Did you paint that case in the photo?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/19/14 at 09:04:26

Jsud04 wrote on 08/19/14 at 08:57:47:
Did you paint that case in the photo?

Nope.....factory engine paint with only 1,200 miles on the engine.

Dave

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/19/14 at 09:33:00

Ive clear coated all my polished aluminum parts. A good 2 part automotive clear is best. 2k rattle can works great.  

Duplicolor or the wheel paint will work also.  Just gas will make it peel and oil overtime will discolor it. It also doesnt stick as well, so it has to be prepped well.  Additionally it will make the polished surface look a bit different, no so polished, but still very nice.

Ive always clear coated my parts like this and it works great. Especially on wheel hubs where its a serious pain to come back and polish. Ive got some dirt bike hubs that look great after 10 years of abuse and minor maintenance.

By the way, after polishing to a nice shine. I do a lacquer thinner scrub to ensure there are no residues before painting.  Thats my solution of choice and has worked great.

On other motors Ive done the cases also. Its come out ok. Ive used paint stripper and gasket remover to remove the paint.  The gasket remover works amazingly well for some finishes.  But obviously it will eat gaskets too.  

My opinion is that if you split the cases it may be worth it, if the case is intact, Im not sure I would do it.  Too much rolling around a heavy case in awkward positions to get it polished out.

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/19/14 at 09:39:39

Thanks. Its been painted with silver engine paint by a po and some spots are flaked due to some corrosion ... So I am likely gonna scrub it down with soap water and an Scotch pad and giver the old black rattle job...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/19/14 at 10:00:28

Spamy wrote on 08/19/14 at 09:33:00:
Ive clear coated all my polished aluminum parts. A good 2 part automotive clear is best. 2k rattle can works great.  

Ive always clear coated my parts like this and it works great. Especially on wheel hubs where its a serious pain to come back and polish. Ive got some dirt bike hubs that look great after 10 years of abuse and minor maintenance.

Nice to know the two part clear will hold up on aluminum.  I am currently polishing some wheel hubs....and was trying to figure out what to do with the center.  Clear coat.....or powder coat chrome or clear.  The center holds up OK on my bike as it is not outside in foul weather too much - but it does require polishing often.

Dave

IP Logged
rapfohl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/19/14 at 14:26:42

Dave, how do you go about doing your "polishing"?

I would like to do the same thing this winter, as my covers are looking a little sad and nasty.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 08/21/14 at 03:45:05

rapfohl wrote on 08/19/14 at 14:26:42:
Dave, how do you go about doing your "polishing"?

I would like to do the same thing this winter, as my covers are looking a little sad and nasty.

I should do a write up.....but in a nutshell.

1)  Take the parts off the engine.
2)  Strip the clear coat off using a real paint stripper from an auto paint supply store.  Something like Tal Strip or the Aircraft stripper.  The stuff you get at Lowe's and Home Depot won't work.
3)   Wet sand the parts to get rid of the corrosion or nicks and scrapes.  You can start with 360 on the bad spots.....or even 240 if the pitting is bad.  Don't sand the smooth parts with the rough paper as it will make scratches you have to sand out later.  Then go to progressively finer grits.  The paper wears out pretty quick so you will have to change the paper often - I use pieces about half the size of a dollar bill.  If the parts are smooth start with 400 and work down to 600 grit.  At this point you can start buffing if you have a good bench mounted buffing wheel - and it will take about 1 hour each case to do a really good job.  If you are doing this by hand than you keep sanding with finer grits until you get down to 1,000 or more.  Then you can start buffing the aluminum with rags and a metal polish.  Meguires makes one that is a fast cut and it comes in a tube - then a fine grit that is in a little tub.  Flitz, Simi-chrome and similar products work fine for the final polish.

Dave  

IMG_0356_001.JPG

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/21/14 at 08:09:16

I used 3M green scrubbing pads on a little palm sized orbital and kept alite
Mist of water on the piece. Gave it a nice finish.not mirror,looked stock.But,if a guy wanted to go full on polished,that's a great start. The oxidation lines are polished off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/21/14 at 12:52:35

Ive used this kit several times and it works pretty dang good for the price.  If you dont have a buffer, but have a drill, its great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-piece-aluminum-polishing-kit-98707.html

IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #13 - 08/22/14 at 11:25:58

To paint the case since you have to, take a look at POR15. I have brushed it on high temp coolant pipes and it flows smoothly, and has glass like finish when dry.  It would make a very nice look. IMO

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:17:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stripping engine paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.