Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Winter Work Plan. Looking for advice. (Read 570 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Winter Work Plan. Looking for advice.
Reply #30 - 09/26/14 at 16:15:30

Re: Turning an adjustment screw.
Start by looking carefully at where it is, GEntly close it,keeping Very Careful count of how many turns to close,  its a tiny pointy brass thing, dont do more than fingertip torque, all you wanna do is know how many turns out it is Now, so if you get it running weird, you can find "Square One" and start over,, A little mark with a marker where one end of the slot is for start point is not a bad idea. Adjustment can get in the 1/8th turn kinda department. I went for a ride with a pocket screwdriver. Rode and felt of it, making minute adjustments at stops.. Not often do ya catch me glad to get caught at a red lite..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #31 - 09/26/14 at 16:19:20

Regarding the Air Bleed Screw ....

Lubricate it with penetrating oil often over a period of 3 or 4 days before
you attempt to turn it. Use a screw driver that fits the slot snugly, don't
force it, and try turning it both directions to free it.
But reserve your strongest efforts (but still gently) for the counter-
clockwise direction just in case it happens to be fully seated on the needle
in its present position.

It it still doesn't turn freely after all of that then post back for help.

The consequences of stripping the threads or buggering the slotted head
are not something you want to deal with.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #32 - 09/26/14 at 16:45:29

And, If ya wanna save some $$$ and still have a Great penetrating oil.
Get a quart of acetone. Mix it 50-50 with transmission fluid. I use a Zoom-Oil container to hold a small amount and have a metal quart can( one of the earlier acetone quarts) pre-mixed and ready to refill the Zoom Oil container. It wont evaporate away too quickly IF you pull the tube out snugly into the fully extended position and keep the red tip on it. It Will lose some acetone over time, but the trans fluid and acetone will seperate  and you can add a dash of acetone when it needs some. Also, if the wife is buying Fingernai; Polish remover in those tiny little bottles that cost $3.00 you can refill that enough times to make the quart not just free, but youll save $$$.
I have a pretty significant sized area on a shelving unit dedicated to lubricants and penetrants. Ive had this shop for , Im thinking about 5 yeaars.. To the best of my knowledge there has never been a can of WD 40 even IN it.. Wintergreen oil works well, but is expensive. Kroil works okay, but not as well as this mixture and costs as much for a pint as the quart of acetone. I scraped a piece of oil field junk up outta the ground with the back hoe and it had 3 threaded bits on it. 2 were wingnuts. I hit all of them with a dose of this mix every day for a week or so and they all came apart w/o wrecking anything. IDK exactly what its made of, it wasnt all caked in rust. Im pretty sure it had been in the dirt for more than 10 years, It does hold a magnet and sparks on the grinder, but what it is,, I dunno..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 09/29/14 at 17:08:25

mo updates! first off i want to take a second to thank everyone on this board, i just showed up a few weeks and and everyone has been nothing but nice, knowledge and has plenty of time to take care of the questions i'm sure have been asked a dozen times already. I try and read the tech section though! I also rezised the pics so that should help: http://sourceforge.net/projects/phototoysclone/

Cleaning supplies
Am i missing anything?

Horn Replacement
the old one was busted, i thought about getting one of those 135db bangers but i didn't want to deal with putting a relay in ect so i grabbed one off the shelf at autozone and called it a day.

Highway Bar Delete
Not stock, and with my feet on the pegs my knees were above tank level, did i mention they are hilariously useless and not stock? Yea, that.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

For sale?

IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 09/29/14 at 17:10:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/26/14 at 16:15:30:
Re: Turning an adjustment screw.
Start by looking carefully at where it is, GEntly close it,keeping Very Careful count of how many turns to close,  its a tiny pointy brass thing, dont do more than fingertip torque, all you wanna do is know how many turns out it is Now, so if you get it running weird, you can find "Square One" and start over,, A little mark with a marker where one end of the slot is for start point is not a bad idea. Adjustment can get in the 1/8th turn kinda department. I went for a ride with a pocket screwdriver. Rode and felt of it, making minute adjustments at stops.. Not often do ya catch me glad to get caught at a red lite..

so what am i looking for exactly? idle speed? back firing (i get a bit of that)?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 09/29/14 at 18:53:58

Xenokilla wrote on 09/29/14 at 17:08:25:
Cleaning supplies
Am i missing anything?
http://i.imgur.com/vRiM2F8.jpg?1

elbow grease... plenty of it.

WWW   IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 09/29/14 at 19:44:00

verslagen1 wrote on 09/29/14 at 18:53:58:
Xenokilla wrote on 09/29/14 at 17:08:25:
Cleaning supplies
Am i missing anything?
http://i.imgur.com/vRiM2F8.jpg?1

elbow grease... plenty of it.

eh, got that in spades. i was thinking of getting one of those buffing wheels and just using my drill but i guess that would be cheating?

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #37 - 09/29/14 at 20:12:14

Here is a good post by Lancer in which he explains the basics of
adjusting the idle mix screw:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267299409

There are also many other posts about it that you can search for.
The idle mix screw is just one of many carburetor adjustments available
for tuning your engine.

But as a very general guideline, set the idle mix screw to yield the highest
idle RPM, then turn the throttle stop screw to set the operating idle RPM
to at least 1100.

You may reduce backfires a little bit with those adjustments but your goal
should be a smooth idling engine that starts easily.
Backfiring (actually after-firing) is an inherent characteristic of our
engines.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #38 - 09/30/14 at 09:57:29

If anyone can still find this stuff, it is THE single Magic ingredient for a detail job, auto or bike.
100% silicone oil. Its very expensive if bought AS silicone oil,, But, back in the day, it was used in copiers and now, people who do copier sales and service have it left over, cuz its rarely used any more. Call around, ask for Fuser Oil,, theyll ask what machine, what model, tell them it doesnt matter,, cuz it doesnt, you just want the oil. Some is thicker, none is like water, it lasts for a VERY long time & there are no CFCs to evaporate away, leaving you with a cracked dash, like Armorall does..
You get the dirt off a dash and pull a piece of T shirt tight across a coupla fingertips and rub it in. In 2 weeks itll need done again,if the thing was dry,, then, itll last 6 months or more.. BUT, for a bike,Start with that, get all the plastic & rubber,, then, when the rag with the wax on it bumps against it, it wont turn white,, It wont hurt paint, either,,
Ive tried several brands and never seen it attack a plastic, softening it or affecting it in any negative way, all good, BUT,, I wouldnt ever just go spread something on my dash,, so, pick a spot, small, inconspicuous, apply liberally, fingernail & eyeball tomorrow,,
I pay as little as $5.00 a pint, which is $40.00 a gallon,, online, a gallon is like $140.00 or so,, AND, a pint will last for years.. it spreads out and does a fine job,, Take a 20 year old dash, clean it up, apply, wait 2 weeks, hit it again and that plastic is rejuvenated and will go for years before its back to as dry as it was before the first application.. Dont leave it wet, rub it in, spread it thin,till it feels dry, but looks wet. Or, itll catch dust,,

IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 01/05/15 at 14:10:18

Me again! Bike won't start, so cold. it was 0º in Indiana today. anyway, look what i got around to ordering!

So tanks comes off, petcock swap, new spark plug in (18mm spark plug wrench right?) I don't want to get into the carb just yet, i need to order the new k&m air filter, then i need to toss on the exhaust then do the carb?

Wal mart sells these cheap folding tables, looks like it'll make a decent work bench.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #40 - 01/05/15 at 20:35:16

How many cylinders does Your Savage HAVE?

IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 01/19/15 at 10:33:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/05/15 at 20:35:16:
How many cylinders does Your Savage HAVE?

it was the same price for one or for a box, weird.

Seat off, tank off, petcock off, just need to get a socket for the spark plug and i'll be good to go. also a vacuum cover for the carb.

IP Logged
Xenokilla

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 01/19/15 at 14:14:19

spark plugged changed, looking at this one it looks.. fine?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 01/19/15 at 15:05:46

Xenokilla wrote on 01/19/15 at 14:14:19:

http://i.imgur.com/NnxqPQ3l.jpg

The color doesn't look bad....kinda depends on what the bike was doing when you last shut it off.  Idling, cruising, etc.  Not too rich....not too lean.

The base electrode looks a little rounded off....but it doesn't look bad.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #44 - 01/19/15 at 18:43:48

Xenokilla wrote on 01/19/15 at 14:14:19:

IMHO, maybe just a tad on the rich side.  

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 14:13:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Winter Work Plan. Looking for advice.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.