Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Want to paint my bike need advice (Read 92 times)
Mechy91A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Want to paint my bike need advice
08/18/14 at 01:52:59

Have a 2013 S40, love the bike not so much the color. So many of you have done builds or painted your bikes so I was wondering what you have found to work best and last longest as well as any other suggestions you might have.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Want to paint my bike need advice
Reply #1 - 08/18/14 at 03:32:44

If you are going to use spray cans - then either go to your local auto paint supply store and get SEM products that are made for painting cars - or use Eastwood or a similar company.  It is important that you get products that are compatible, and that will resist gas and oil.  Normal spray paint will not hold up at all to any gasoline.  The SEM self etching primer and hi build primers are really good products.
http://www.semproducts.com/

The really important thing is the last coat needs to be a 2K paint.....two parts mixed together to make a chemical reaction (epoxy) that will cure to a tough finish that is gasoline resistant.

If you are using a spray gun, then use an epoxy primer and a good base coat/clear coat paint system.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/18/14 at 07:23:53

To add to what Dave said.Guys are having good luck with the Dupli color candies,flakes,etc.Also Big Daddy Roth products.Check with your local (auto)paint supply store(or online).USC makes a 2K clear in a can.You break the seal shake it and spray.Only lasts for a couple hours once mixed.I'm on a lot of chopper sites and these guys are turning out amazing paint jobs.And I'm a painter

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Mechy91A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/18/14 at 07:29:31

Thanks a lot guys. I must say I love this forum. So much useful information when so many others have people talking out of their you know what.

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #4 - 08/18/14 at 15:04:18

My other bike is a 78 Goldwing. I painted it with dupicolor engine enamel and metalcast red. Spray paint will always chip with wear and road debris. It was starting to get chips and I didn't want it to get ruined so I topped it with 2k clear. Have not had a problem yet.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/18/14 at 16:04:59

Before you go messing with your bike,unless you're sure about your abilities,I'd suggest you get a piece of car from a body shop or something and prove to yourself you can paint.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mechy91A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/18/14 at 16:36:14

Oh I have no confidence in my abilities at all when it comes to painting, and I have nerve damage in both my hands from my time in the military. My wife however is a painter and absolutely amazing at it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/19/14 at 03:53:19

Yep.....get something to paint and practice on.

And....don't get the wipe rags you are going to use anywhere near fabric softener or Armorall.  It will make the paint "fish eye" and not want to stick.

Dave

IMG_1092_2.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:22:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Want to paint my bike need advice

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.