Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cam wear.... (Read 114 times)
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cam wear....
08/15/14 at 18:13:10

I was just looking at my cam and noticed that one lobe has a wear mark almost 360 degrees around it... Valve were too tight at some point? Any thoughts...

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: can weqr
Reply #1 - 08/15/14 at 18:16:47

too low idle rpm, no oil pressure

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: cam wear....
Reply #2 - 08/15/14 at 18:29:10

Fix the issue and run the cam? The tappet is etches slightly as well... 20000 miles on it, seems soon for a new can and journal grind.

1986 red, raptor petcock, cham chain tensioner mod,carb plug pulled. DIY highway pegs, DIY ammo can storage...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/15/14 at 18:44:14

oh gawd not the journal!!!

you didn't say you had journal wear.

btw, measure the lobes, are they the same?

WWW   IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/15/14 at 19:43:37

NaW journals are mint... Lobes are =

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/15/14 at 20:43:24

Could I just throw a new can andtappet in without much issue? Or is there more to it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/16/14 at 04:27:01

Wear on the journals is an indication of low oil pressure to the head. Most likely attributed to an idle speed that is too slow.

Wear on the cam lobes and rockers is most likely to running an oil without enough ZDDP.

We need photos to offer much more advice than that.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/16/14 at 06:22:08

Its got 20000...I use rotella t for 5000 miles  the po use pensoil for 8000 miles and the poo ...who knows. Here are photos..http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/jsuders04/library/savage

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/16/14 at 13:35:05

Having looked at your pics, you have many many 10,000's of thousands of happy miles left in those components.

Take some 400 grit or 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper with finger pressure and lightly lightly sand the raised edges of the scuff marks on the tappets and the cam crowns to make sure there are no raised edges remaining.

That is all you need to do is to make sure there are no raised edges.   The damage you have got is very minor and as such is considered "normal" on these engines at that mileage.

Likely this damage was done very early on by a previous owner using incorrect oils and too low idle speeds.

The fact it has not progressed is a testament that you have been doing it correctly.

Put your engine back together and run it happily for many many many more thousands of miles  ....

or

..... if you simply can't stand it, replace it all and send your perfectly good parts to me.

I am the one who can refit those incredibly good looking only very slightly damaged parts into a harmonic whole with a really really damaged (scrapped) bearing journal head and make it all live again (recover the OEM running tolerances and all of it).

But I wouldn't suggest this -- these parts you have shown us really do have an easy 30,000 - 40,000 miles left in them if you use proper Rotella oil, > 1,000 rpm idle speed and a ZDDP booster such as Redline.

That black oxide stuff on every surface is left over from heat treat, it does not indicate wear per se, it is intended to come off in use.  

Suzuki was just lazy and didn't vibratory it off in any form of micropolishing post heat treat op as they were into saving money on this model.

Good parts, use them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/16/14 at 17:00:09

Cool. Thanks. Shes down to her naughty bits right now...that being her frame for a rattle can re finish. And I am awaiting word from the machein shop as to my rebore and new piston...

IP Logged
Jsud04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/30/14 at 17:01:56

I cleaned the whole top end today with a desil gasoline mix then warm soapy water the krud cutter and the warm soapy water... I added two new photos of the area in question after cleaning up the paws with 1500,grit...look OK to continue?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:24:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cam wear....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.