Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
after market seat?
08/14/14 at 20:21:36

I'm not likely to EVER ride someone behind, wondering if there's a decent after market seat replacement someone might recommend?  the factory seat just doesn't fit me right and after a day of riding I feel like my tail bone is about broken.  

unfortunately, it's making me reluctant to ride, which is BAD!   Angry

help me out here so I can get my (somewhat oversized) butt back in the seat!

Karen - KI4GOT
k.i.forgot (it's a ham thing)
Riding since '07 - Rebel 450 prior to my S40
WWW   IP Logged
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: after market seat?
Reply #1 - 08/14/14 at 20:59:20

I am interested in this as well. I know Corbin makes a seat for our bikes but I am not sure of the quality compared to the original.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #2 - 08/15/14 at 02:43:53

It surprised me how easy it was to make my own, to suit my butt. And it's more comfortable than the stock one as well.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/15/14 at 04:09:56

Corbin is the only company that makes a bolt on seat for the Savage.

Fry has one in the Marketplace for sale - but he seems not to be answering anybody's PM or emails....he has not been logged onto this site since 8/01.
He does offer a photo if you want to see what it looks like:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1406656477

Beyond that......there are several folks that have adapted other seats onto the bike.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 08/15/14 at 04:18:38

I have a sheep skin cover that I picked up for my KLR.  I took it off because I am waiting for a part to arrive.  Regardless, it provides substantially more comfort and the prospect of a 300 + mile day is a welcome thought.  I really should put up a pic, some of you would probably be interested.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 08/15/14 at 05:15:10

P8140056_2.jpg

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 08/15/14 at 06:50:21

killeraxemannic wrote on 08/14/14 at 20:59:20:
I am interested in this as well. I know Corbin makes a seat for our bikes but I am not sure of the quality compared to the original.

I have a Corbin and really like it. After a while it moulds itself to you rear and becomes very comfortable. To a small extent they build to suit as well. They ask your weight and (I think) your inseam and adjust the padding to suit. The build quality is superb.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #7 - 08/15/14 at 07:04:07

I had the same problem with mine. It wasn't just uncomfortable but it sit too low which left me feeling like I was riding cramped. Someone on here posted this link which helped me modify the stock seat.

http://diymotorcycleseat.com/

I used a 1" thick piece of rigid foam from Lowes, cut it to fit on the lower part of the seat base, then molded it a little with a heat gun and contoured it with a sanding disk. I had to buy a pneumatic stapler and some stainless steel staples, also from Lowes, to put it back together. It was still a little low so I took it apart again and raised it another 1/2" with a couple of pieces of 1/4" foam. That and setting the shocks 1 notch for a softer ride really helped. I'll still probably change to Intruder shocks.

I was going to try the Corbin seat but wasn't sure it would be worth the price.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/15/14 at 07:04:27

You might consider a seat cushion instead of a replacement seat.
The best (in my mind) is AirHawk
This site will show you the various options.
http://www.motorcyclecushions.net/default.aspx
Shop it on the internet for a better price.

I suffered from sore tailbone, tried a lot of different things.  The AirHawk worked best for me.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #9 - 08/15/14 at 08:47:23

And just to be the one to ask the obvious question: Have you done the set mod where you raise the front of the seat an inch or so? It does make a remarkable difference in how long you can stay on the seat. Also a gel pad does a pretty good job. What worked for me was to start with the gel pad, then take it off for a while, rotating between them. And take the Tylanol before you start a ride if it's to be fairly a long time in the saddle.

All that being said, a different seat is not a bad thing. I happen to have a V-Star after market saddle seat on my Sav. If you take of the back pad (as the back of the saddle reaches back a bit farther than the stock) it hardly changes the height of your overall seating. I've done over 500 mile days with this set-up and the gel pad swapping and it makes things much more bearable for sure.

Jack

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #10 - 08/15/14 at 08:48:09

I changed mine out for a Sportster seat I got
from Al here on the forum.
It is much nicer on my booty...Smiley Kim & Genie

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 08/15/14 at 10:37:29

I had this guy modify my rider's seat. Best money I ever spent.

http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Karen A
YaBB Newbies

What do you mean
"park it for
the winter"?

Roanoke, VA
Reply #12 - 08/15/14 at 19:56:23

Jack_650 wrote on 08/15/14 at 08:47:23:
And just to be the one to ask the obvious question: Have you done the set mod where you raise the front of the seat an inch or so? It does make a remarkable difference in how long you can stay on the seat. Also a gel pad does a pretty good job. What worked for me was to start with the gel pad, then take it off for a while, rotating between them. And take the Tylanol before you start a ride if it's to be fairly a long time in the saddle.

All that being said, a different seat is not a bad thing. I happen to have a V-Star after market saddle seat on my Sav. If you take of the back pad (as the back of the saddle reaches back a bit farther than the stock) it hardly changes the height of your overall seating. I've done over 500 mile days with this set-up and the gel pad swapping and it makes things much more bearable for sure.

Jack

on the v-star seat, did it take any serious mods to make it fit?  

no, I haven't raised up the front of the seat, since it's the back half that seems to be causing my ouchy tailbone I don't really think that would help considerably.  I absolutely LOVE hubby's seat on his Shadow, but he won't let me swap them out. LOL  not sure how that could be made to fit either tho.  Grin

Karen - KI4GOT
k.i.forgot (it's a ham thing)
Riding since '07 - Rebel 450 prior to my S40
WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 08/15/14 at 21:21:49

The seat in its stock mounting tends to roll your butt forward. Like it's trying to roll you into the tank.  Raising the front of the seat helps it to want to keep you more in the middle of the seat.

I raised the front of mine and it made a big difference in the seat comfort. Now, I just gotta do something about it not being thick enough. It still makes my butt go numb but I don't get the sore tailbone anymore.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #14 - 08/16/14 at 06:08:45

Corbin is pretty nice but remember that you still have to do the seat mod

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:22:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › after market seat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.