Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Air mixture screw question (Read 42 times)
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Air mixture screw question
08/14/14 at 19:17:36

I have a 2006 S40 and the air mixture screw has some of the slots in it kind of stripped out. I can still turn it so I have a question. If I want the bike to be a little leaner than what it is now, I need to turn the screw out or counter clockwise. Would this be correct? I get a little bit of sputtering when in 3/4 to full throttle at about 50 mph. When I back off the throttle a bit, it evens out and runs up to about 65 mph if you hold the throttle at about 3/4 or less. It seems like I am running a bit rich as I don't need to choke to start and the plug has a little of the black build up on it. I run 87-89 octane in it. I am thinking I need to make it a little leaner about 1/4 turn and try it out from there. I replaced the fuel petcock (yeah I will probably get yelled at for this) with a new standard S40 petcock. I didn't want to do the raptor as I wanted to try to keep with the original one. Please let me know what you guys think about the air mixture. Thanks in advance. S40 Guy.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Air mixture screw question
Reply #1 - 08/14/14 at 19:35:57

clock wise is tighter = leaner

counter clockwise is looser= richer

IP Logged
s40guy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/14/14 at 19:46:01

So then I would need to go clockwise a little and try it like that? Am I right in assuming I am running too rich with what I described above? Thank you all in advance for the help. S40 Guy

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/15/14 at 03:38:50

That little screw is the Idle Mixture Screw.  It adjusts the fuel/air mixture from full closed to about 1/8 throttle.  Beyond 1/8 throttle is has no effect, and if you are having issues beyond that the problem is somewhere else.

Do you still have the stock vacuum operated petcock on the bike?  You could be getting too much fuel if the diaphragm is leaking fuel into the vacuum line.

Here is a video of how to adjust your idle mixture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm5mB3R8Ucw

Here is a link to the "Test your Petcock".
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:20:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air mixture screw question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.