Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Intermittent Short (Read 214 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Intermittent Short
08/14/14 at 17:24:16

The dreaded intermittent short came back, again.  It is just the headlight, it won't turn on at all.  Everything else works as it should.  I've checked all the wires for chaffing and the basic stuff.  I'm starting to think I'm looking in the wrong place.  Could it be contacts in the starter button, or some other relay?  Thanks

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Intermittent Short
Reply #1 - 08/14/14 at 20:07:02

Have you checked the bulb?

There aren't any relays... or do you have the model that cuts out the headlight when starting?

I'd start checking with a VOM

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 08/14/14 at 20:36:28

Yeah, the bulb is good.  I've replaced it twice.  The headlight cuts off when you start it as well.  Thanks for any help, I'm out of ideas.   Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/14/14 at 20:53:37

Didn't notice the title... Intermittent... not really a short, or you'd be blowing fuses.

Well I don't have a book with the late model headlight starter cutout relay in it.  But those usually work off the ground wire of the headlight.

So check your grounds.  Follow the ground wire, there's got to be a box somewhere, most likely under the tank or in the headlight shell.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/15/14 at 03:23:42

What are the symptoms?  Does the headlight go out....does it blow a fuse....when the headlight goes out - does everything else on that side of the handlebars still work (horn, turn signals)?  What makes the situation flare up....bumps, turning the bars, acceleration or braking?

Since I am not there to poke and prod on my own.....I need more information to be of any help.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 08/15/14 at 03:37:24

Verslagen & Dave,

Everything else works just fine, it is just the headlight.  No other symptoms or causes, the headlight won't come on or the high beams, nothing.  I replaced the bulb, the wires look ok, or at least on the outside.  Turning the bars side to side doesn't do anything as well.  Thanks for your assistance.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/15/14 at 03:55:09

If it is not blowing fuses....it is not a short.  A short is when a hot wire comes in contact with a ground, and it blows a fuse.

You either have a broken wire - or a faulty switch.

You need to go to the Technical Section or your Repair Manual and look at the Wiring Diagram.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1294779818

The power is taken up to the left handlebar with an orange wire.....that take the power up to the left handlebar control and the control sends the power to the horn, turn signals or lights.  If the headlight goes out - but the horn and turn signals continue to work, then you don't have any issue with the orange wire.

You then need to check the switch.  Take the handlebar control apart and pull it off the bar.  You might first test to see if the wire into the headlight switch has power to it (I believe the wire is black with red stripes).  If that has power to it, then the yellow wire coming out of the switch is the high beam and the white wire is the low beam - and you need to test those for power.  The white one will have power when the switch is on the low position, and the yellow wire will have power when in the HI position.  If you have power to the red/black wire - but can't get any to the yellow or white....try some Tuner or Electrical Contact cleaner.  If you can't get power to the yellow or white wires - but the red/black wire has power...you need a new switch.

If the power goes to the yellow and/or white wires - but the headlight still doesn't work, you need to test the yellow and white wires at the headlight.  If you have power to those but the headlight still doesn't work - then it is either bulb or the black ground wire is broken somewhere.  If you have power at the yellow and white wires at the handlebar - but not at the headlight....then both of the wires are broken somewhere in the harness between the left handlebar and the headlight.

Dave

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #7 - 08/15/14 at 04:08:50

Dave,

Thanks for the detailed post.  I picked up a multmeter.

Will this suffice?  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/15/14 at 04:14:25

Yep......and now you just need use it.

Connect the ground side to the negative battery terminal when you do the tests.....or at least something that you know will give you a good ground while you are making the tests.  I made some wires with small alligator clips on each end to help with my meter.....I can clip one end on the negative battery terminal and the other end on the negative probe of the meter, and I can walk all around the bike while still connected to the battery.

Dave

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #9 - 08/15/14 at 04:20:57

Will do, thanks again!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #10 - 08/15/14 at 06:54:00

I looked at it a bit before I have to go to work and the horn doesn't work as well.

I took apart the assembly on the left side of the handle bars as well.  I learning to use the multimeter I picked up from HF.

If you can offer some insight, please do.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 08/15/14 at 07:52:22

Quote:
The power is taken up to the left handlebar with an orange wire.....that take the power up to the left handlebar control and the control sends the power to the horn, turn signals or lights.  

The orange wire doesn't have any juice.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 08/15/14 at 10:05:14

The orange wire.....where?  That big orange wire come from the ignition switch, then through the fuse....then onto the handlebars and all other electric stuff.

Wait a minute....did you check the fuse? Undecided

Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/15/14 at 13:50:44

The way the bike is wired, the lights and ignition share the hot wire.
The bike won't run w/out the lights on.
So that orange wire has to be hot.
The break has to after the hot feed to the headlight.
Check that you have 12v to the headlight, then check the ground from the headlight.
You might have to have it running to check.  Or will the headlight come on after turning the key and cut out while starting only?

WWW   IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 08/15/14 at 19:26:22

A long day, just got back from work.  Ok, the orange wire located in the high beam / horn switch didn't have any power.  Everything works as normal except the headlight and the horn.  Those do not work at all.  I didn't check the fuses but it starts and everything else is working.  

Alright, I'm looking at my Clymer and I don't see an orange wire going to the Dimmer / Horn / Pass ? Headlight switches.  There is a yellow that connects to the Pass / Dimmer / Headlight.  A red & black wire connects the Pass / Dimmer / Horn.  

When I get off work tomorrow I’ll start tracing the orange, yellow and black wires.  Is the grounding wire always black or perhaps black and another color?  If you have any other thoughts please let me know.  Thanks for your assistance, it is appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:23:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intermittent Short

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.