Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spark plug only sparks once, recent stator rebuild (Read 41 times)
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spark plug only sparks once, recent stator rebuild
08/14/14 at 13:51:12

My battery was not charging because my stator was fried so this guy re-coiled it for me, I put it back in, fired up and the battery read 13.8V approx. with engine running. Then it stopped running after about  a minute and wouldn't turn back on. I pulled out the spark plug to test the spark and when i hit the starter button, the engine turns but the spark plug only sparks once and then not at all. I tested resistance on the three yellow wires coming from the stator and they all give about 3-4 ohms? i'm pretty sure there should be very little, like less than 1 ohm or no resistance at all.. any thoughts? I'd appreciate any help... it's been driving me crazy for months, just one thing after the other... Thanks

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Spark plug only sparks once, recent stator reb
Reply #1 - 08/14/14 at 14:29:41

The Clymer only states that continuity must be present and resistance must be "low" when your ohmmeter is set at R x 10.  It does not clarify that with a tolerance.  Somebody else may chime in, but I think your stator may be fine.

I would start checking things in the ignition system.  Little things first.  Is the spark plug wire seated all the way?  Then maybe the ignition signal generator.  There's a 2 pin connector behind the left side cover, the wire colors are orange and green.  Disconnect that and check resistance from the signal generator across those 2 wires.  With your ohmmeter at R x 1000, specified resistance is 200-240 ohms.  If it is not within that range, the signal generator is shot.  There is also a test for the coil and ignitor unit.  

I hope this gives you an idea.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
manny87
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/16/14 at 11:28:42

Quote:
There's a 2 pin connector behind the left side cover, the wire colors are orange and green.  Disconnect that and check resistance from the signal generator across those 2 wires.  With your ohmmeter at R x 1000, specified resistance is 200-240 ohms.  If it is not within that range, the signal generator is shot.

That's for testing the pulsar pickup coil (or whatever it's called), right? the little magnetic thingy that goes next to the stator? Thanks for your help, i'll take a look.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 08/16/14 at 12:56:32

You're right on the money.  I wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case.  If the resistance comes back fine, you might open up the cover and check the installation of the pickup.  Sometimes things get knocked out of position when you open things up.  I hope your problem is that simple.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark plug only sparks once, recent stator rebuild

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.