Reserve fuel supply (Read 87 times)
wiscoz88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wisconsin
Reserve fuel supply
08/14/14 at 07:52:29

Anyone know (roughly) how many miles the reserve fuel can take you? Was on my way to work this morning when I had to switch over to reserve about 2 miles out, and it's another 5 miles to the nearest gas station.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid...last I checked I was getting 54 MPG, and I've gone 130 miles since the last fill-up. Thought I could get to 150 at least...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Reserve fuel supply
Reply #1 - 08/14/14 at 08:12:11

20 miles or 1 mile less than you need.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/14/14 at 08:20:58

I did a few tests when I was installing my Raptor...this is what I found:

The stock petcock provides 78 oz of fuel, while the Raptor provides 60 oz of fuel on RESERVE - this is without shaking the bike to get any remaining fuel out of the right side of the tank and you may get more when actually riding.  If you got 55 MPG on your bike the stock petcock provides 33.5 miles of reserve and the Raptor provides 25.7 miles of reserve.

In actual riding (up hill, down hill, bumps, etc.) you may have less fuel available when the reserve is turned on....as the fuel sloshing around could keep filling the fuel line and keeping you riding for a while even though the fuel level has dropped below the inlet "ON" tube.  Also if you have installed longer shocks or a larger rear tire....the measurements I took will be inaccurate for your bike.

There was one fellow that ran out on reserve, and actually had an accurate mileage for the time he was on reserve....I will go look for it.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
wiscoz88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/14/14 at 08:46:36

Phew! That should be plenty, I can stop worrying...or try at least. Thanks for the help guys!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/14/14 at 08:51:18

wiscoz88 wrote on 08/14/14 at 08:46:36:
Phew! That should be plenty, I can stop worrying...or try at least. Thanks for the help guys!

No......you won't stop worrying.  When I am riding and have to reach down and turn to reserve....I still worry all the way to the gas station even if I know it is only 5 miles.  It really becomes a worry when you are in a remote area and you don't know where the next gas station is located.

Keeping track of the fuel use is not an issue when you are on a long ride and remember when you last filled up.  For me it becomes and issue when I ride 20 miles one day, 10 the next, 25 more a couple of days later...and it takes a week or two to use up the fuel.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 08/14/14 at 09:42:51

I had to switch Genie to reserve twice last week. Embarrassed Embarrassed
That was the first time ever I had run out of fuel
twice in the same week. Shocked
I had a hell of a time the first time getting the
switch turned as had not been turned in a long,
long time.
Both times I had to coast to the shoulder in order
to get the job done.
Now I am fueling up every other day just to make
sure it doesn't happen again..
Glad I had the reserve option to switch too..

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #6 - 08/14/14 at 11:24:29

My office is about 28 miles door to door. I had it down to a science where I would fill up Monday a.m. on the way to work and then again on the way home on Wednesday. I could get 5 one-way trips. One time the bike ran out of gas as I was turning the corner into the gas station and I coasted right up to the pump.

Now I have gas cans at home and just top off daily or every other day. It got to be a hassle to go to the gas station every third day for 2.5 gallons of gas  Grin Now I get 20 gallons once a month.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
kennemarv1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

daytona beach, fl
Reply #7 - 08/14/14 at 19:27:12

I fill up every 100 miles when not on long rides. I  keep non-ethanol at home in 2 five gallon cans, i'm lucky to have a non-ethanol gas supplier a couple miles away  Seems to make a noticeable difference in the way the bike runs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:22:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reserve fuel supply

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.