Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bigger vacuum port on Stock CV Carb??? (Read 159 times)
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bigger vacuum port on Stock CV Carb???
Reply #15 - 08/13/14 at 17:39:02

Dave wrote on 08/13/14 at 06:58:33:
On early British cars, the CV carbs has a little piston and oil filled cylinder that stops the carb slide from bouncing up and down.  It is a little shock absorber for the carb slide.

If the slide bounces up and down.....Wonder what that does to the fuel flow when the needle jet is bouncing in and out of the whole (jet needle)?

Dave

eesh, that's not a good thought.  

I'm almost positive it was your post that spurred this idea...
I read awhile back (I'm a long time lurker)  about not putting in a UFO in a VM34 carb because nobody seems to be able to get the jetting just right at low RPM.  So I started looking for alternatives and stumbled across that how to article

So if this goes terribly wrong I should blame you...right?  Smiley

IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/13/14 at 17:49:29

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 08/13/14 at 18:16:33

DaThump wrote on 08/13/14 at 17:49:29:

I think Keef's a bit of a loon... Huh...

Have fun wreckin' yer' carb... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/29/14 at 12:52:49

Update.

I got lazy and didn't want to rejet carb from factory specs, install carb, test jets/carb, uninstall carb, drill vacuum ports, reinstall.
So I rejetted and did the vacuum ports at same time.
I rejetted from factory 3mm white washer on pilot needle to 1.5mm (three washers from lancer's carb jet kit) and from a 145 main to a 152.5 main.  It's still a little lean on pilot needle (factory settings are ridiculous).  Only change was switched from factory air filter to "HiFlo" one.

The original vacuum ports are approx 3/32 (a very little bit bigger).
With the carb cleaned, and off bike, I blew into air port that pushes diaphragm to move the slide up/open. I did this over twenty times to chk its movement.

Took carb apart to start the drilling...the only bigger drill bits I had were 7/64 and 1/8. I did 7/64 with a little bit of rounding motion as I drilled to open up the ports more.  I also changed the two screws that hold the pilot needle on the slide (used allen cap head M3x6). I'm sure these added a very small weight gain.
By my rough calculations each vacuum port area was increased 33% to 50% more. So I almost doubled total area. Had to use this site http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/circle-area.html cause my 'circle math' is rusty.

I put the carb back together.

What a difference when I blew into air port.  The slide moved noticeable faster but still smooth. Way faster. The throttle feels more responsive...how much is from porting or rejetting is impossible to tell. When I open throttle wide open the initial hesitation is decreased and acceleration seems a lot more connected to my wrist. Doesn't have the feel of a pumper carb but feels a lot less like the acceleration from CVT.  No real difference when I decelerate, but I never payed attention before either.

It's been a few hundred miles, so far so good.  I'm not worried about any long term damage.  The slides plastic is stout and has to deal with constant engine vibes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bigger vacuum port on Stock CV Carb???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.