Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Snap Crackle Pop on Deceleration (Read 164 times)
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Snap Crackle Pop on Deceleration
08/11/14 at 14:45:58

I know this has been talked about a lot.  I think there is even a thread for newbies.  My issue however is that when I am decelerating from somewhat of a higher rpm and no throttle, I get a handful of large pops.

My bike is completely stock inside and out.  The only thing I've changed is I pulled the brass plug and adjusted the idle mixture screw out just over a half turn.  That did help a lot, but its still an issue.

Also, the bike will run fine when cold and on half choke, but it seems to really want half choke for quite some time.  It seems as if its happier with more fuel.  Would this be a pilot and/or a main jet change?  Also, I was screwing with the floats adjusting them a little higher for a possible flooding issue previously.  Could float height effect this?  It doesn't seem to be an issue after the bike has ran quite a while.

Has anyone had any luck with different jet sizes on stock applications in order to get rid of this?  My elevation is about 800ft above sea level.

Thanks
Aaron

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Re: Snap Crackle Pop on Deceleration
Reply #1 - 08/11/14 at 18:44:34

Yes, check out the carb and jetting threads on the tech pages. From what I've seen on the forum and my experience with two bikes, 95% of Savages will backfire on deceleration and shut down even with new jets. It's the nature of the beast. Tune it so it runs good, not to stop and decelerate good... and just learn to enjoy the snap, crackle and pops.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/11/14 at 19:25:39

+1... jet it to run... what it does when you let off the gas, or turn off the engine,... ain't running... it ain't jetting...

If you jet it for what it does after you turn it off........ you ain't tuning your bike...
You're tuning an inanimate object...  Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/11/14 at 19:31:22

I guess thats a good way of looking at it guys.  Is there a known jet kit or good place to buy that most people use to try different combos?  I may want to upgrade to a dyna muffler, in which I'll play with the jets at that point.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 08/11/14 at 20:11:41

Yes, look into the guides, there's all you need.. Pay attention to the White spacer mod, that Will help on the crackling and popping, although I don't understand why you wanna get rid of it  Smiley

As for the flooding issue, if the problem goes away Then it's not your float height, it sounds more like a bad float needle, that won't seal properly..

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #5 - 08/11/14 at 22:23:34

94camroz28:
   I have a new Dyno-Jet Kit #3107 made specifically
for our bikes that I would be willing to sell.
Check the Dyno-Jet website for information about it.
Send me a PM if you're interested.

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #6 - 08/11/14 at 23:56:00

94camroz28 wrote on 08/11/14 at 14:45:58:
Also, the bike will run fine when cold and on half choke, but it seems to really want half choke for quite some time.

Test your petcock. Sounds like a vacuum leak in the petcock vacuum line.

Also, when you decelerate, you're using your engine as brake. A very expensive brake - both in fuel consumption and engine wear. Consider disengaging the clutch when you roll off. You'll probably see a big bump in MPGs.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 08/12/14 at 03:19:00

You can decrease the pops when you shift or decelerate, by holding the throttle slightly open.  Not enough to accelerate or cause you to have to use the brakes more - just enough to allow a bit more air and fuel into the engine.  Don't slam the throttle completely closed between shifts - keep it upon just a bit, and don't take a long time shifting.

With a bit of practice you can ride the bike and make it pretty quiet....or really loud if you prefer!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 08/12/14 at 10:00:25

94camroz28 wrote on 08/11/14 at 14:45:58:
...when I am decelerating from somewhat of a higher rpm and no throttle, I get a handful of large pops.

My bike is completely stock inside and out.  The only thing I've changed is I pulled the brass plug and adjusted the idle mixture screw out just over a half turn.  That did help a lot, but its still an issue.

Also, the bike will run fine when cold and on half choke, but it seems to really want half choke for quite some time.  It seems as if its happier with more fuel.  Would this be a pilot and/or a main jet change?

I'm on the East coast, at sea level. After cleaning the carb, changing jets, and adjusting the idle mix screw and idle speed, I still had enough loud gunshot-like pops to startle the folks I ride with, so I cut 1/2 round off the TEV spring. That  reduced the gunshot cracks to just about zero and cut way down on the usual burbling, too.

YMMV. I would try other things first, since this spring may be hard to locate if the fix doesn't work for you or makes things worse, but it's made riding the S40 a much more pleasurable experience for me, with little effect on mileage.

- David
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #9 - 08/12/14 at 13:48:36

Quote:
I'm on the East coast, at sea level. After cleaning the carb, changing jets, and adjusting the idle mix screw and idle speed, I still had enough loud gunshot-like pops to startle the folks I ride with, so I cut 1/2 round off the TEV spring. That  reduced the gunshot cracks to just about zero and cut way down on the usual burbling, too.

YMMV. I would try other things first, since this spring may be hard to locate if the fix doesn't work for you or makes things worse, but it's made riding the S40 a much more pleasurable experience for me, with little effect on mileage.

David,

Nice to see someone local. Grew up and Danvers, live in Newbury and work in Essex.

Ron

« Last Edit: 08/12/14 at 15:06:38 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 08/12/14 at 15:14:26

right wrist controls most  on a properly jetted
I still get a low tone kaw poof(like a serbot fart!!)@ shut down

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
94camroz28
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/12/14 at 16:08:05

Thanks for the info everyone.  After doing more reading and seeing what others have to say, I think I'll just leave it for now.  Like I said, I may install a dyna muffler at some point, in which case I'l thenl re jet it.  For now however, I'll just enjoy making a little noise.  Cheesy

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #12 - 08/12/14 at 23:19:30

94camroz28 wrote on 08/12/14 at 16:08:05:
Thanks for the info everyone.  After doing more reading and seeing what others have to say, I think I'll just leave it for now.  Like I said, I may install a dyna muffler at some point, in which case I'l thenl re jet it.  For now however, I'll just enjoy making a little noise.  Cheesy

I did the Dyna and re-jet/white spacer mod... WOW what a difference!
I'm at about 1,000 ft and went with 152.5/52.5. It still backfires a little but runs so well it's not worth the time to play around anymore with the carb to get rid of a "poot".

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:22:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Snap Crackle Pop on Deceleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.