Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Having issues tuning my 2005 S40 for my climate (Read 152 times)
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Having issues tuning my 2005 S40 for my climate
08/10/14 at 13:17:25

Hi all!

I live in Colorado at 5,000ft in a very dry climate. I just bought a 2005 S40 with 3k miles on it. It's a great bike and in great shape, but I can tell it's not tuned properly because it has the backfiring issue as well as has some power loss at some rpm's and chugs a bit when changing gears. The previous owner drilled out the exhaust so there are 4 1/2 inch holes in the muffler, as well as put in a K&N drop in filter. The idle mix screw plug is also uncovered. When I got it the idle mix screw was turned in pretty far so I have been gradually loosening it and testing. I have the screw pretty far out now and the bike runs better but still backfires and I can tell it just isn't quite right yet. I have read conflicting information about adjustments for this altitude. I have read that a higher altitude needs a leaner tune, but a dryer climate needs a rich tune. I have both here so I am not sure where to go.

I would also like to know if there are any easy performance mods I should do for my situation. I have read about taking off the airbox door, and removing the snorkel thing under the seat but I don't want to go about hacking up the bike if that's not necessary/needed.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Having issues tuning my 2005 S40 for my climat
Reply #1 - 08/10/14 at 13:46:10

Welcome Killer, for starters take a look at this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

Feel free to post questions, best regards.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/10/14 at 14:19:03

backfiring can be too lean, but it also can be too rich.
what happens is that leftover gas accumulates in the muff and just waits for a breath of fresh air to ignite.

So the 1st thing to do is eliminate the fresh air.  check for loose header bolts and air leaks all along the header and muff using a lit candle, the flame will blow around when you're close to a leak.

For a stock bike at your altitude, it's generally best to leave it stock.

You gotta K&N drop in and a drilled muff, both tend to push it leaner.

I wouldn't take out the snorkel or the door as that push it even leaner.

Tell us when it backfires as that's a clue as what to do.

WWW   IP Logged
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/11/14 at 09:06:26

verslagen1 wrote on 08/10/14 at 14:19:03:
backfiring can be too lean, but it also can be too rich.
what happens is that leftover gas accumulates in the muff and just waits for a breath of fresh air to ignite.

So the 1st thing to do is eliminate the fresh air.  check for loose header bolts and air leaks all along the header and muff using a lit candle, the flame will blow around when you're close to a leak.

For a stock bike at your altitude, it's generally best to leave it stock.

You gotta K&N drop in and a drilled muff, both tend to push it leaner.

I wouldn't take out the snorkel or the door as that push it even leaner.

Tell us when it backfires as that's a clue as what to do.

Did the candle check and didn't see any fluctuations in the flame around the header pipe or muffler.

When I got the bike it would backfire when I would let off the throttle to shift and when decelerating with the throttle closed. Now that I have the screw turned out quite a bit it only backfires when decelerating with the throttle closed. I was getting multiple pops during the decel but now I am just getting one big one twards the end of the decel.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 08/11/14 at 09:14:18

How low is your idle set? With the closed throttle / decel pops, I find that when my idle is set a little higher it mediates most of my afterfires. I also notice that when my fuel tank is down to about 1/4 I tend to have more than normal (not sure why for me - with Raptor and vacuum tubes are plugged, cone filter & fish tail exhaust, but at a similar altitude 4500+ & dry)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/14 at 09:28:55

EJID wrote on 08/11/14 at 09:14:18:
How low is your idle set? With the closed throttle / decel pops, I find that when my idle is set a little higher it mediates most of my afterfires. I also notice that when my fuel tank is down to about 1/4 I tend to have more than normal (not sure why for me - with Raptor and vacuum tubes are plugged, cone filter & fish tail exhaust, but at a similar altitude 4500+ & dry)

Not sure how to test the idle but I have it set so it idles smoothly with no shaking or anything. I could definitely turn it a bit higher and see how it goes. How did you fit a cone filter on it? Did you just remove the airbox? I am not sure if I want to do it but I would like to know the right way to do that setup if I want to give it a try down the road.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 08/11/14 at 10:23:54

If you can't get your bike tuned with the stock air filter....I wouldn't suggest going to a cone.  It will be harder to tune that to run well.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/11/14 at 10:27:00

Dave wrote on 08/11/14 at 10:23:54:
If you can't get your bike tuned with the stock air filter....I wouldn't suggest going to a cone.  It will be harder to tune that to run well.

Dave

Well from what I am reading it appears that I am probably going to have to change the jets in the carb, so if the cone filter is higher performance then I may want to go that route along with a re jet.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/11/14 at 10:45:19

The cone filter does little (or nothing) on the Savage performance by itself.  The engine is horribly restrictive inside, and the CV carb isn't great for performance, and the engine is low compression with a very mild cam.  The muffler change to a DYNA and decent jetting is the best bang for your bucks.

The cone filter is mostly done by folks wanting the look...they want to get rid of the airbox and battery and make a big open space under the seat.  The stock air filter works well enough for the stock engine and carb.

Dave  

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 08/11/14 at 10:49:30

I don't know that the cone is actually any better performance, I just wanted a change over what the previous owner had done to the bike...

Previous owner air cleaner setup:

My setup...can't see the cone that well, but mounted right on the carb throat:

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/11/14 at 10:49:41

Dave wrote on 08/11/14 at 10:45:19:
The cone filter does little (or nothing) on the Savage performance by itself.  The engine is horribly restrictive inside, and the CV carb isn't great for performance, and the engine is low compression with a very mild cam.  The muffler change to a DYNA and decent jetting is the best bang for your bucks.

The cone filter is mostly done by folks wanting the look...they want to get rid of the airbox and battery and make a big open space under the seat.  The stock air filter works well enough for the stock engine and carb.

Dave  

Good to know! How much better would the Dyna muffler do for me? My stock muffler is already drilled out.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 08/11/14 at 11:00:15

1 or 2 hp.....not a bunch.  Having the correct jetting make the biggest chance if the bike is not jetted well for your location.  When I got mine it has a big flat spot just off idle....and it was really irritating as it would show up whenever tried to ride without a handful of throttle.

The biggest advantage in the DYNA is that you lose the VW Beetle sound......and get a bit better tone without a lot of racket.

Dave

IP Logged
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/11/14 at 13:47:28

Dave wrote on 08/11/14 at 11:00:15:
1 or 2 hp.....not a bunch.  Having the correct jetting make the biggest chance if the bike is not jetted well for your location.  When I got mine it has a big flat spot just off idle....and it was really irritating as it would show up whenever tried to ride without a handful of throttle.

The biggest advantage in the DYNA is that you lose the VW Beetle sound......and get a bit better tone without a lot of racket.

Dave

Mine sounds pretty decent drilled out. I think I am going to order a few jet sizes today so I can experiment with them. Looks pretty easy to swap the jets out. Just drain the fuel from the carb, unscrew the screws and put the jets in right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 08/11/14 at 16:03:18

AND the Dyna Looks so much better and it is lighter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
killeraxemannic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/11/14 at 20:16:16

I wasn't really thinking earlier. A girl I work with's husband is a salesman at a Harley dealer. I am sure he can find me a Dyna pipe.

So it looks like to start off I need to install the Dyna muffler, do a 150 main jet and a 55 secondary, as well as do the 2 washers instead of the plastic spacer. Would that be a good starting point?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:34:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Having issues tuning my 2005 S40 for my climate

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.