Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Said goodbye to the s40 today. (Read 434 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Re: Said goodbye to the s40 today.
Reply #15 - 08/17/14 at 19:30:52

Rix,  Can you give us an update about the V-strom?  Just curious, thanks.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 08/17/14 at 20:30:40

AL wrote :

I remember a few years ago when a friend of mine from Maine came across the border to buy a car in N.H. because we have no sales tax. I told him that he would have to pay the Maine sales tax when he wanted to register it but he didn't think I knew what I was talking about. Well, when he went to register it, they wanted $1200.00 plus registration fees(which he didn't have). The car sat in his yard unregistered for 2 months and he said that if he couldn't register it, then he wasn't gonna make the payments and it got repossessed. He blamed the dealer for not telling him about the sales tax.

Some folks are just too Hard-Headed for their own good !  Shocked

I had a brother "Co-Sign" for a buddy's car once !  Grin Grin Grin   After they repo'ed it and sold it at auction --- brother got billed for the difference between what was owed on it and the auction price minus sales cost.   Tongue  .   He didn't think it was funny at the time !   Lips Sealed
Fact is : He still don't think it was funny ...

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #17 - 10/19/14 at 20:45:23

pg wrote on 08/17/14 at 19:30:52:
Rix,  Can you give us an update about the V-strom?  Just curious, thanks.

Well, Rix never replied, so I had to go out and buy one of these to find out Smiley

Here's what I think:
- This is a tall bike. I had to lower it, and raise my boot heals 1/2 inch to get comfy enough to flat foot at stop lights.
- the cool thing about the tallness is that I can see over cars now.
- Much fast.
- 53mpg in rush hour traffic.
- It handles well, but it's not as responsive as the Savage. If I had to do a cone test, I'd do it on the Savage.
- The brake dive is about 3" and it happens either braking or rolling off. This I may never get used to. I need to try to adjust the front pre-load.
- This thing loves freeways speeds, but it's not very happy with in town stop-go-stop. Mostly because of the brake dive.
- It has a built in gear indicator, fuel gauge, MPG calculator(conservative), and a TRIP METER!
- It is very top heavy - I've dropped it three times already - the drops happened right after a fillup. The tank holds over 5 gallons. Way too top heavy for my weak Savage arms. Now I only put in a couple of gallons when I'm running low.
- Much fast. Wow.

I got this thing to commute to work during the Seattle rainy season. The Savage doesn't like rain much, and the DL650 comes with dual rotors and ABS.

Givi also has luggage fittings for this, and having Givi luggage on this machine is about as close to getting a Goldwing as I'll ever get.

It is a very nice bike, and has a strong following among the moto tourers (which I am not). I've seen many of these machines with 30k miles and still running strong. I've decided not to get the extended warranty ($1,100), and plowed that in to luggage.

I'm not getting rid of my Savage. And if I could only have one motorcycle, it would be the Savage. You're stuck with me Smiley

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #18 - 10/20/14 at 11:44:28

Thanks for the detailed post, I'm sure you will enjoy it!  I PM a couple links that you may find useful.

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/13/16 at 07:32:22

After a couple years on the vstrom, I can't say I have any regrets.......BUT......I can't say I don't miss my ls650 either.
The vstrom is very tall. I have changed the seat, bar, bar risers,  windshield, and I'm on my second luggage setup.
It is a tall bike. I wear 32 inseam pants and I can't quite flat foot it.
I've ridden it year round. Dumped out in the ice once at 13ish mph.
It runs between 47 and 57 mpg. Super sweet engine. Smooth, lots of power,  good grunt, even fairly low.
It's definitely a bike you have to tune to your person. Initially, an hour in the saddle was all I could take before needing a test and stretch. Bar risers and seat fixed that. It's got a few peculiar aero quirks. Buffeting and such. Well covered on the vstrom forums.
It's not light and toss able in my mind,  but but still nimble enough to have a lot of fun with. Road holding is excellent. I've scared myself a little on this thing.  I missed the low ands light enough that when a pair of old Hondas came along, I nabbed them. An 80 cm400 and an 81 cb450. I Unseized the 400, went through the carbs,  fixed sinew broken  stuff, etc, and have ridden it a bit now. The 400 isn't far off the s40 as far as straight engine performance,  the lack of torque is definitely noticeable though. The 400 winds up higher though.
I took a play from the Savage book and put a dyna muffler on it  Smiley
It has mac exhaust on it with all the packing gone. Too loud.
But
It's certainly no ls650. The thought has crossed my mind to get the 450 going and trade them both for another ls650. Or  sell them and get another ls650.
Anyway,  just wanted to check in.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/13/16 at 08:52:20

thanks for the update rix, wow, most people wouldn't look up their last posts.

WWW   IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/13/16 at 08:59:33

This place has never left my brain completely  Wink

1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #22 - 08/13/16 at 13:30:28

Stick that engine and wheels in a cruiser/foot-forward frame and I'd be lined up to buy. Kawi did it in the Vulcan S, but still too long and heavy.   Cool

IP Logged
cheapnewb24
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Virginia
Reply #23 - 08/13/16 at 19:15:56

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 08/16/14 at 10:38:09:
I remember a few years ago when a friend of mine from Maine came across the border to buy a car in N.H. because we have no sales tax. I told him that he would have to pay the Maine sales tax when he wanted to register it but he didn't think I knew what I was talking about. Well, when he went to register it, they wanted $1200.00 plus registration fees(which he didn't have). The car sat in his yard unregistered for 2 months and he said that if he couldn't register it, then he wasn't gonna make the payments and it got repossessed. He blamed the dealer for not telling him about the sales tax.

$1200 sales tax.  Shocked I'd have a problem with that too. What did he buy, a $20k Harley or something?

From google:

Quote:
A 5.5% sales tax, unless paid to a Maine dealer, is collected at the time of registration. The sales tax is based on the purchase price of the vehicle. Other fees such as registration, title fee and agent fees are also collected at the time of registration.
Vehicle Registration FAQ - Town of Cape Elizabeth, Maine
www.capeelizabeth.com/services/permits/auto_registration/faq.html

From this wording, the dealer should have told him, perhaps? Huh Maybe the dealer was playing tricks, making the price look low by leaving out sales tax.

In Virginia, I just pay $75 and forget it. But then, my bikes aren't worth enough to worry about that. You can't do that old trick of putting the sale price of $1. I hear they'll look up book value on ya. The minimum tax is $75. It goes up from there by percent of value as normal.

Quote:
Code § 58.1-2402, Virginia levies a 4.15% Motor Vehicle Sales and Use (SUT) Tax based on the vehicle's gross sales price or $75, whichever is greater. An additional $64 fee applies to electric vehicles, excluding mopeds.Jul 1, 2016
Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax - Virginia Department of Motor ...
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/sut.asp

Yeah, if I didn't have much money on hand, and I needed to make payments... Then all the sudden, I'm slammed with a thousand dollar tax, I might have a problem, wouldn't you? But then, it's kinda dumb to be so poor and buy such expensive bikes and live above your means too.

2004 Suzuki Savage, Riding since fall 2015.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #24 - 08/13/16 at 20:45:19

And where is this going?

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/21/16 at 15:44:28

The aforementioned cm400 honda, now with savage mirrors  Smiley

1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #26 - 08/22/16 at 07:27:52

Pray the stater clutch on that doesn't go out, you gotta split the cases to fix it

IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/22/16 at 12:58:03

Yeah this thing is pretty simple though.

1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 05:21:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Said goodbye to the s40 today.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.