Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
dyna muffler conversion (Read 734 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
dyna muffler conversion
08/08/14 at 13:16:52

I am strongly considering the dyna muffler conversion and my main issue is what the heck to get.  On the infamous auction site there are so many models and such when I search for "harley dyna muffler" and I am hesitant to buy the wrong thing.

I found this auction that I assume is the side rail version that is said to be the better choice versus the tab mount and would be ok to buy both and sell the other to a fellow savager.  Is this the right model and is there a specific part or model number I should and should not buy?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-1994-FXD-Dyna-1340-1450-Mufflers-C-65747-94-/2...

FYI - called my local Harley dealer and he said he would be happy to sell me a single, used pipe for $100.  I bet he would!

Thanks folks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: dyna muffler conversion
Reply #1 - 08/08/14 at 13:29:42

Those auction pipes look like they are the correct ones.

When getting something from the left coast - might be prudent to ask if they are Catalytic equipped ones.  They run fine - but tend to make the chrome blue where the catalyst is....especially on the carb equipped Savage which isn't all that precise about fuel mixture.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 08/08/14 at 13:33:47

Thanks Dave.  Good point on the West coast question.

Is there a model # in that auction that is key to indicating this is the correct version I need in case I want to search for a non-West coast pair?  Or do I just find a bunch of auctions and post them all here for you to tell me YES or NO?   Grin Grin Grin  Kidding.

UPDATE: I found part# 65657-87 that seems to be the version with the side rail attachment.  Is this what I need?

Thanks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/08/14 at 14:10:52

Rail mount Harley shorty's come in a variety of SL#... there are just as many wrong SL# as well...
Best to just look... you want a baffle intact, rail mount, and no Cat, or crossover tube...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/08/14 at 14:24:27

Thanks Serow! Searching a few more threads (should done that before starting a long post...) it seems that most recommend part # 65747-94 as the match and a decent price in nice shape is around $30.

One thing I cannot grasp in reviewing the tech post on the swap is can you use the factory lower heat shield or does it require an after market once you make the swap?  If I can use what I have that's what I prefer...just to swap out the muffler and leave the rest like it is.  I don't want/like the exposed clamp look.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #5 - 08/08/14 at 15:02:14

You can use the stock heat shield/joint cover. However since the dyna muffler is smaller in diameter than the stock muffler, the old shield looks a little funny.  An aftermarket shield looks a lot cleaner and they don't cost very much.

IP Logged
S-P
Serious Thumper

Back in the saddle
again

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #6 - 08/08/14 at 17:24:45

bobert_FSO wrote on 08/08/14 at 15:02:14:
You can use the stock heat shield/joint cover. However since the dyna muffler is smaller in diameter than the stock muffler, the old shield looks a little funny.  An aftermarket shield looks a lot cleaner and they don't cost very much.

If you are good with a grinder, you can whack off part of the big flange on the stock shield. Put it in a bench vise and cut away. It took me about 10 minutes. Mark it out with a magic marker first. I blacked out my muffler so the raw edge doesn't show. If you're kinda anal about your chrome wrapping around the edges, get an aftermarket. They're pretty cheap.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 08/08/14 at 19:55:54

Thanks all!  I'll probably start looking for a muffler and no doubt be circling back around here for a tip or two if I can't find it spelled out in the tech section.

bobert_FSO: BTW, do you have a part# or a link to the after market heat shield that looks proportional to the conversion?  Once I find the pipe I want to go ahead and get the rest of the needed parts to complete the job at once.

S-P: I am ok with a grinder, but since I will leave it all chrome I don't think I will like a raw edge...I'm anal like that  Roll Eyes

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #8 - 08/08/14 at 22:24:15

Here's what I used:

Motorcycle Superstore
Cobra Universal Heat Shield
Item # 31163,  SKU # 283211
Most Recent Price: $ 17.99

If you do not use an adapter pipe between the
header and the muffler then you may want a
heat shield shorter than 7" long.

(I recommend a 6 or 7 degree adapter pipe
such as the one RYCA sells or made by your
local muffler shop for a few bucks.)

Heat_Shield.jpg

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 08/09/14 at 06:05:18

thanks Todd James. great info and details.

FYI to all, the auction I listed above has catalytics just in case you are watching the auction . I passed on them. looking locally.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #10 - 08/09/14 at 07:11:26

Todd answered your question about the shield. I have no specific supplier or part number.

IP Logged
Todd James

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mansfield, Ohio
Reply #11 - 08/09/14 at 07:31:14

The non-catalytic mufflers are getting harder to find.

That is a catalytic muffler you see on mine.
If you are concerned about the appearance of bluing from the
cat heat then you can use the Harley shield that you see on mine.
(Detail picture below)
I think the Harley shield dressed up the installation.

By the way... my header and muffler have not blued in over 1500 miles. Your carburetor settings and jets will affect that.

DSCN4669_Web.jpg

2007 S40, Dyna, 52.5/150, .073 Spacer, 2 Turns
2007 Sportster 1200, V&H Pipes
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/09/14 at 09:46:00

I can tell you from experience that grinder sparks flying near a battery vent tube can cost you a battery and a LOT of cleaning..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 08/18/14 at 16:46:25

So...I posted an ad on craigslist and a local guy that is a custom bike maker connected with me and offered me a pipe for $20, and since he had two with him when we met that literally look a day less than brand new with the heat shields I went ahead and grabbed both for $40.  I presume I can make this model fit (see pics), which is 64708-08B. Said there are no catalytics and has baffles so I guess all I need to do now it do the swap and then determine if I need to rejet.

As far as mounting, I haven't looked to see if these mount up directly or if I'll need to make me a little bracket but I can handle that so long as these are not "wrong" pipes for some reason.  Worst case, I'll ebay them and make a few bucks.   Grin

IMG-20140818-02148.jpg

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 08/18/14 at 17:45:16

Those are a little unusual looking, I haven't come across any like that...
Looks like they have a welded in nut instead of a bolt,.. and some kind of dress cover held on with hose clamps...
... but,.. you can make them work... I have confidence in ya'... Wink...

Tab mount, rail mount, and bolt mount, all had to be figured out at one time, too...
Now we got a nut mount... Huh...

PS.. I think they may be CAT equipped,.. based on the heat shield cover...
...but, Harley Cat's are nothing more than a heater coil in front end of the muff.... so, it won't hurt anything...
...and you'll be cleaning up the world...  Tongue...

Show us some pics of the finished install... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:26:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dyna muffler conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.