Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wider front tire on my '96 (Read 110 times)
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wider front tire on my '96
08/08/14 at 07:07:16

I'd like to add a front tire the same size as the rear for a bobber look but don't want a hardtail. Has anyone done this? Will a respoked front hub to accomodate a wider tire and fit the stock forks without rubbing or must I search for a set of wider triple trees and forks to do this? Irealize the front fender will have to go.  I think bobbers with a fat rear / skinny front look assymetrical and I don't like the look. A side note - I had a Harley Road king with a sidecar (great rig) but totalled it. In my subscription to American Iron magazine, I see lots of baggers with the 23" and 26" front wheel conversion. That is the ugliest trend ever.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Wider front tire on my '96
Reply #1 - 08/08/14 at 07:56:11

This is not a forum issue.

This is a RSD question, just like the one before it.

And what?  you don't like the 'big wheel' conversions?
All they need are little wheel trike conversion and it's childhood relived.   Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/08/14 at 08:37:56

Well, you can re-spoke the front wheel to fit a 15" rim - but that will require a rim that has the holes angled to match the smaller front hub, and you will need a special set of spokes. ( You might slide your rear wheel up between your forks and see how it fits.)  If you pursue this with new parts from a retail source, $ 100 for tire, $ 200 for rim, $ 100 for spoke set, $ 100 for somebody to lace and true the wheel ($ 500).

Another option might be to explore the use of a front wheel hub from a Suzuki T350 or T500....they might be the same diameter as the rear hub on our bike....and maybe you can just re-lace a 15" rear rim and spoke set from the Savage. (I have a rim and spoke set I can give you if you pay shipping).  You will also have to buy a brake assembly, figure out how to make the axle and spacers work, make the brake attach to the forks, change the brake master cylinder to a cable lever and get a cable.   Probably going to spend $ 400 on this one.  (Still interested in the project?)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/71-Suzuki-T-350-T350-R-Rebel-front-wheel-rim-/4004182...

There is no easy or cheap way to do what you want - if you want a tire that fits the rim and a functional front brake.  Most front wheel rims are narrow 1.85" - 2.15" wide rims....and the look you want requires much wider and smaller diameter rims.  You should also be aware that when you start making big meaty front tires....the bike is going to handle really slow.  It will want to continue to go in whatever direction it is pointed, and will resist turning movements more than it used to.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #3 - 08/08/14 at 09:18:30

Taking a bike that with the factory as shipped tires handles like a pig trying to roller skate on greased glass, and adding a wide-heavy front tire... good recipe for a crash. The 19/15 combo is inferior in looks and handling to the 21/16 custom standard, going for the touring rig 16/16 or 15/15 is going to make it worse. It would give a bit softer ride, but any steering input is going to be slow in response.

I have a T500 (Titan) front wheel on one of my pair, with a 90/90-19 front tire. If I could find an 80/90-19, I'd use that instead. The Titan wheel looks great, the dual pivot drum works better than the stock single puck caliper and disc could ever hope to work.

You CAN use a twin pull drum CB/CL 450 front wheel, same axle size as the Savage. My brake plate is actually off one of them, only the hub-hoop-spokes are Suzuki.

I have a pair of these bikes. The orange 98 custom has a fragged electrical system, the black 03 is mostly stock (and I can't even stand to look at it anymore because of that). I ought to paint and transfer the interesting stuff off the orange one onto the black one... but... both are scheduled for a visit to the metal shredder.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/08/14 at 14:03:13

Mr. Moderator: my apologies. As I'm sure you know, I am new to the group. Won't happen again.
Robert

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/08/14 at 19:08:01

49mack wrote on 08/08/14 at 14:03:13:
Mr. Moderator: my apologies. As I'm sure you know, I am new to the group. Won't happen again.
Robert

No worries.....Savage problem issues and comments in the RSD.  General chit chat and humor and stuff about other bikes goes in the Cafe.  Specific "HOW TO" articles go in the Tech Section.  And everything that is political or controversial goes in the Tall Table.  The Forum section is where you post things about issues you are having with the use of the forum.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:14:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wider front tire on my '96

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.