stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
drained AGM battery
08/07/14 at 07:38:27

I have a not too old (maybe a year or less) AGM battery that I accidentally drained last night due to leaving the key on. STUPID! I have a 1.5amp trickle charger with NO AGM setting and a larger charger that has a 2amp mode with setting for AGM or standard battery.

Am I better off using the higher 2amp with the AGM setting or the lower 1.5amp with no AGM setting.  Hope I didn't kill the battery letting it get drained like that (the key was on for about 3 hours).  

FYI - I did throw it on the 1.5amp for about 30 minutes and it did get some charge back but nowhere near enough to engage the starter of course. At that point I unplugged it and went to bed (I don't like leaving batteries on charge unattended).

Thanks folks!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: drained AGM battery
Reply #1 - 08/07/14 at 07:50:00

2A AGM setting. Ideally you charge a motorcycle battery at >1A, but...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 08/07/14 at 08:38:33

Ideally you turn the key off when you get off and go inside for the evening.  Angry

2amp AGM it is...that's the best I have without buying a new charger.

Question: Would it help to only put it on the 2amp for (let's say) 30 minutes or so and take it off to cool, rinse, repeat...until it seems to be charged versus leaving it on the charger for several hours...Or is the AGM and 2amp trickle setting going to take care of that for me?

Here's the charger I have: http://www.craftsman.com/diehard-automatic-battery-charger-10-2-50-amp/p-0287...

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/07/14 at 09:55:40

stewmills wrote on 08/07/14 at 08:38:33:
Ideally you turn the key off when you get off and go inside for the evening.  Angry

Which is another reason I never use the handlebar kill switch to shut off the bike - I only use the key switch.

(The other reason is that I forget I have turned the handlebar switch and can't figure out why I can't get my bike to start).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 08/07/14 at 10:48:03

Dave wrote on 08/07/14 at 09:55:40:
Which is another reason I never use the handlebar kill switch to shut off the bike - I only use the key switch.

I thought about this practice, but I usually park with my bike in gear as a safeguard against rolling or kids deciding to use it as a rolling scooter. Habit. If I use the key to turn off (using my left hand) I have to put it in neutral (so I can release the clutch), kill it, then put it back in gear.  However, I guess forgetting to put it in gear is better than forgetting to turn the key off, AGAIN  :'(

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 08/07/14 at 13:37:16

stewmills wrote on 08/07/14 at 07:38:27:
I have a not too old (maybe a year or less) AGM battery that I accidentally drained last night due to leaving the key on....
I used to do that regularly, due to the kick stand shuts down the engine.  Yuasa flooded battery, 2005-2008, totally flat three times in three years.  Got an Big Crank AGM.  4Q2009 having health problems I forgot to shut down the bike three times.  Last was *not* wanting to take a cage I run the charger at the 10amp level, so I could ride after 90 minutes.  Apr2010 Bypass/Stroke, no riding for over 2 months, without charging, but it was ready to go when I finally did.  3Q2012 kill the Savage, kept trying to get it running, over and over, battery working just fine.  Battery was still able to spin the engine in Jan2013 when it went to it's new owner.

Bottom line -- You didn't kill the battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 02:29:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › drained AGM battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.