Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ran fine for 20 miles, won't stay running (Read 75 times)
Paul in N FL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ran fine for 20 miles, won't stay running
08/06/14 at 11:18:14

I drove my 04 Savage for about 20 miles on the highway and it ran just fine. I took a lunch break and got back on and it seemed to want to die a little bit, but I gave it gas and it ran ok until I went through some heavy rain. While riding in the rain it would only do about 45 with very light throttle inputs. If you gave it more gas it would deccelerate, but not die completely. I pulled over and was revving it and it seemed to have dead spots and would surge with the throttle all the way open. I was able to baby it home and now it won't start/stay running at all.

I replaced the spark plug, pulled the carb off and cleaned it, replaced the fuel line (old was cracked), made sure the fuel coming out was clean and clear and checked for vacuum leaks. I've got a raptor petcock and it was clean/flowing freely.

When you start the bike it has trouble starting. If it does start you have to hold about 3/4 throttle, and even then it will eventually die.

What could this be?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Ran fine for 20 miles, won't stay running
Reply #1 - 08/06/14 at 11:26:28

Is your air filter wringing wet?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paul in N FL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/06/14 at 11:35:42

Serowbot wrote on 08/06/14 at 11:26:28:
Is your air filter wringing wet?...

Good question. I'll check it out when I get home, or maybe grab a new one on the way home.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 08/06/14 at 19:29:46

Also check that plug on your carb that you plugged when you put on the raptor...it could be sucking in air.

Just a thought....

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Paul in N FL
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/07/14 at 11:00:59

Air filter wasn't wet at all, though it could've been the day before yesterday. I pulled it out and it cranked and started easily with no filter. It eventually did the same thing, however.

I will check the blocked vacuum port when I get home. I put a cap on it with a ziptie, but it could've cracked or slipped.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/07/14 at 11:34:30

And......it could be the vent in the fuel cap is blocked and not allowing air to enter the tank.  You ride for 20 miles and a vacuum is created in the tank and fuel stops flowing to the carb.

Try taking the gas cap off next time it happens.  If you hear a "whoosh" as  you take the cap off......"Well there's your problem"!

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 03:37:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ran fine for 20 miles, won't stay running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.